PDA

View Full Version : Where can i get a driveshaft balanced.

BlownMM
08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know of a local shop that will check runout and balance a driveshaft at high RPM? I'm thinking like 6000 RPM or better.

SSLEVO
08-17-2009, 09:52 PM
I would think most transmission shops would/could do it. If not you may need to send it out.

SmokinRAM114
08-17-2009, 10:24 PM
try elkhorn driveshaft, hwy 43S to hwy 67 go right then turn left in to industrial park where there is a camper place on the corner n its back in there. dont know the exact address..

or machine service sp? in waukesha

wrath
08-17-2009, 11:10 PM
I've got the same question, I've got the one in my Silverado that feels kind of iffy. But it's long and large in diameter.

-stew-
08-17-2009, 11:13 PM
A-1 Driveshaft in Milwaukee might be able to help you. Google also is very helpful.

And yes, I am a dick.

SmokinRAM114
08-17-2009, 11:17 PM
I've got the same question, I've got the one in my Silverado that feels kind of iffy. But it's long and large in diameter.

what year chevy? let me guess its a newer (02+) 2500? vibrates under a load? cant get rid of it here... got the problem on 2 trucks. also the nieghbor got rid of his truck due to it, and bought a dodge;)

SBC-Fox
08-17-2009, 11:43 PM
A-1 Driveshaft in Milwaukee might be able to help you. Google also is very helpful.

And yes, I am a dick.

you are a dick but it's so entertaining:rolf

Rocket Power
08-18-2009, 01:03 AM
and bought a dodge;)
Because when his trans blows he won't need to worry abouta driveshaft:goof:rolf

SSLEVO
08-18-2009, 07:43 AM
I've got the same question, I've got the one that feels kind of iffy. But it's long and large in diameter.

I don't know if we can help you this that one :goof

wrath
08-18-2009, 07:47 AM

And yes, I am a dick.

A bunch of superdouchers with a lathe, a hammer, and a welder balancing something 36" long and 3" in diameter is a lot different than trying to balance a 6'+ driveshaft 6" in diameter. The natural frequency is much lower on my driveshaft than what you find on a SWB car. So, since the solution for "real performance" around here seems to be ship-it-out for a lot of people... I was hoping there was someone local that could do it.

what year chevy? let me guess its a newer (02+) 2500? vibrates under a load? cant get rid of it here... got the problem on 2 trucks. also the nieghbor got rid of his truck due to it, and bought a dodge;)

Nah, my 2009. It doesn't do it until triple digit speeds. All my GMT800s and my GMT900 had the issue... all long single piece driveshafts, it's just that my new truck can easily go triple digit speeds whereas my old trucks ran out of steam at ~125 so just a decent balance job kept them together.

The Dodge probably has 3.07 cogs and won't go fast enough to vibrate. haha.

PonyKiller87
08-18-2009, 08:45 AM
MSI on appleton. If they can't balance it they could probably make you a new aluminum one. Or you could check at the dealer to see if there is a stock aluminum replacement for the one you have.

-stew-
08-18-2009, 09:49 AM
A bunch of superdouchers with a lathe, a hammer, and a welder balancing something 36" long and 3" in diameter is a lot different than trying to balance a 6'+ driveshaft 6" in diameter. The natural frequency is much lower on my driveshaft than what you find on a SWB car. So, since the solution for "real performance" around here seems to be ship-it-out for a lot of people... I was hoping there was someone local that could do it.

Nah, my 2009. It doesn't do it until triple digit speeds. All my GMT800s and my GMT900 had the issue... all long single piece driveshafts, it's just that my new truck can easily go triple digit speeds whereas my old trucks ran out of steam at ~125 so just a decent balance job kept them together.

The Dodge probably has 3.07 cogs and won't go fast enough to vibrate. haha.

(Inner monolouge: -sigh- This asshole? Again? This motherfuckers got more sand in his vagina than a beached whale.)

Seriously dude? Have you had a bad experience with A-1? (Oh wait, you've never had a good experience anywhere, ever. You're still upset over your first blow job, aren't you?) WTF are you talking about, "the real performance solution around here seems to be ship it out"? The one person to mention shipping it out offered little to no input. Smokinram and I mentioned two local driveshaft shops, and you come in bashing them. I have no experience with the shop in Elkhorn, but I've never had a problem with any of (prolly 100+) products and services I've gotten at A-1.

And do you do a lot of driving at 125+ in your truck? Enough that your "iffy" driveshaft is a big concern? Seriously dude, gtfo and go be a crybaby somewhere else.

DirtyMax
08-18-2009, 10:05 AM
What in the heck is someone with a 2009 Chevy P/U doing going 125 on a regular basis to be able to take note of driveshaft vibration issues?!?!

SLOWC5
08-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Machine services in waukesha

SSLEVO
08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
What in the heck is someone with a 2009 Chevy P/U doing going 125 on a regular basis to be able to take note of driveshaft vibration issues?!?!

That's a good question, running drugs across the border maybe :confused

BlownMM
08-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Machine services in waukesha

Thanks i'll give them a call

BlownMM
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
[quote=-stew-;569898]

Seriously dude? Have you had a bad experience with A-1? I have no experience with the shop in Elkhorn, but I've never had a problem with any of (prolly 100+) products and services I've gotten at A-1.

quote]

I've never had a problem with A-1. I always use them. In fact, once i dropped off a driveshaft to be shortened at 4pm on a Fri. and had it by 9am Sat. They only spin the shaft to 500rpm to balance. I need a high speed balance on the driveshaft for my MM. It will see high speeds and the tailshafts are prone to cracking because of driveline vibration above 115mph.

-stew-
08-18-2009, 01:16 PM
WTF is an MM?

Rocket Power
08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Merc Marauder?

wrath
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
(Inner monolouge: -sigh- This asshole? Again? This motherfuckers got more sand in his vagina than a beached whale.)

Inner monologue: This stupid mutherfucker sounds like the waste of space on the side of the road with a billboard of a torn-apart fetus ranting about inane nonsense. It's pretty clear your mom kept the afterbirth and threw away the baby.

Seriously dude? Have you had a bad experience with A-1? (Oh wait, you've never had a good experience anywhere, ever. You're still upset over your first blow job, aren't you?) WTF are you talking about, "the real performance solution around here seems to be ship it out"? The one person to mention shipping it out offered little to no input. Smokinram and I mentioned two local driveshaft shops, and you come in bashing them. I have no experience with the shop in Elkhorn, but I've never had a problem with any of (prolly 100+) products and services I've gotten at A-1.

You said "A-1 might be able to help you". You then told me to "google it" like some stupid piece of shit that thinks they're witty. I said nothing about A-1 and for all I knew you "LMGTFY"-ed it and it was the first thing that came up. You provided no hint that you'd ever even been to the place.

I didn't bash any driveshaft shops, I bashed you. So I take it these are places that can spin balance to 7800rpm?

And do you do a lot of driving at 125+ in your truck? Enough that your "iffy" driveshaft is a big concern? Seriously dude, gtfo and go be a crybaby somewhere else.

No, I don't. But losing a driveshaft at even 45mph can be dangerous. The ones I've had fail have been at low speeds or with hoops. So, if I can get someone to high speed balance it then it solves a potential issue. And driveshafts aren't cheap for these trucks.

Not regular, but at any appreciable speed you tend to take notice of anything amiss. And since there have been hundreds of GMT800 and GMT900 driveshaft failures on dynos and asphalt everywhere you tend to be paranoid.

-stew-
08-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Merc Marauder?

Mazda Miata? Mercury Mystique? Mustang Mach?

I'll be back for Wrath later. I'ma light him up...

DirtyMax
08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
I didnt even think the ECM would let you do 125. The stock POS tires they put on trucks nowadays probably aren't supposed to.

-stew-
08-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I didnt even think the ECM would let you do 125. The stock POS tires they put on trucks nowadays probably aren't supposed to.

I'd also guess that his ex-cab, short box 4x4 doesn't have a six and a half foot driveshaft either.

SmokinRAM114
08-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I'd also guess that his ex-cab, short box 4x4 doesn't have a six and a half foot driveshaft either.

the crewcab shortboxes are one piece aluminum.

wrath
08-18-2009, 06:36 PM

It's the programming that won't let some people.

The tires are S-rated, so no, they're not rated for 125mph but close enough. Not something I'd like to make a habit of.

It's actually ~68" from yoke centerline to yoke centerline... plus slip yoke. And it's ~5" in diameter and aluminum.

LIL EVO
04-07-2010, 03:04 PM
A-1 can't shorten a 3 piece driveshaft. I need to call a guy back at Machine services to see if he can do it in about a half hour.

Anyone have any other good leads to do this?

NitrousPig
04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Elkhorn driveshaft can spin it 12.000 rpm.

LIL EVO
04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Dropped it off at Machine Services. They said they would have to ship it to their Green Bay facility to do it. Should be a one week turn around. I'll keep everyone posted.

jbiscuit
04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I just had a two piece driveshaft shortened and balanced by machine services. Looks like a quality job so thumbs up to them

Plum Crazy
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Dons Machine shop in Kenosha can balance it, or build you a new one if its bad.