PDA

View Full Version : carbide tipped drill bits?

88Nightmare
08-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I can't seem to find one of these drill bits anywhere. I need a drill bit for drilling out an easy out that broke off in a cylinder head. Where could I find a tough drill bit for getting this done?

I already checked farm and fleet and northern tool but didn't find anything decent.

That_Guy
08-16-2009, 01:04 PM
neu's in the falls had them when i was there last.

modmachz
08-16-2009, 01:30 PM
You are not going to drill a broken ez out with any Drill bit !!!! you have to die grind it out with a carbide burr or EDM

88Nightmare
08-16-2009, 02:18 PM
ill be drilling around it, into the part of the spark plug thats still stuck in there as well

stenchmiester
08-16-2009, 02:25 PM
A smart person doesn't use an easy out on broken spark plugs the use a pipe nipple extractor

RanJer
08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
A smart person doesn't use an easy out on broken spark plugs the use a pipe nipple extractor

Hindsight is 20/20. Fact of the matter is he did what he did, and is asking for help on resolving it.

88Nightmare
08-16-2009, 04:21 PM

says the guy who forgot to put oil in his truck just because the low oil light burned out.

back on topic..... Anyone? Even if carbide tipped are hard to find anything else of similar strength?

To clarify, I'm not drilling through the easyout itself. Drilling around it into the steel spark plug portion... but chances are contact will be made with the easy-out in spots. I'm already planning on having to heli-coil this spark plug hole

Memphis
08-16-2009, 06:16 PM
You broke an easy out in the hole? Thats a hard one to do. I've broken taps but never an easy out. I know taps are more brittle and alot of times you can break them apart, maybe you can try the easy out? Also, is there room around the easy out? They have tap removers with fingers that fit around the tap when it breaks, this might be an option is you have any room around it.

SSDude
08-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Your best bet for a carbide drill bit would be Grainger off of 10th and Rawson. Call ahead.
I've done it once but what I was working on (rear end cover bolt) was out of the car.
Carbide is very brittle and one slip up and you will blow it out.

If your planning on drilling around it a high speed bit will be more forgiving.
With all the debris that will get in the cylinder when you drill through you may be better off removing the head.
Good luck

-stew-
08-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Is there enough room to get a chisel in there and use the chisel to spin the whole works out?

88Nightmare
08-16-2009, 10:25 PM
I apprecite the responses. I will be removng the head tomorrow. what kind of bit do you guys recommend? and where can I get it?

lordairgtar
08-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Wasn't there a place that sold all manor of cutting tools off 27th & Oklahoma? Doerr's or something like that? You might need to take the head itself to a machine shop that does that sort of thing.

-stew-
08-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Once the head is off try driving out what is left of the easy-out from the back (cylinder) side. Also with the head off you could try drilling it out with a regular right hand twist drill bit from the cylinder side.

And I also suggest finding a four sided screw extractor. They are square and tapered, with no twist, you tap it in with a hammer and it uses its four sharpened corners to grip. Traditional easy-outs are of a flawed design, being twisted/threaded; as they thread in, they expand the object being removed in its bore. Making removing said object that much harder, thus often causing breakage of the tool. Four sided easy outs, 1000% better.

88Nightmare
08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
where can I find these 4 sided easy-outs you speak of?

-stew-
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
where can I find these 4 sided easy-outs you speak of?

Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999909000P?keyword=screw+extractor

Prolly most big hardware stores.

88Nightmare
08-17-2009, 12:18 PM
ironically, I was going to head to sears today to check out some toolboxes.

thank you for your help stew

DurtyKurty
08-17-2009, 01:08 PM
I've always use a carbide ball cutter to get out broken taps. It's typically junks the cutter but it does work... there is not a lot out there that is harder then carbon steel. Carbide is one of them. Unfortunately easy outs are typically hard but not as hard as a tap, so the chances of you breaking it out with a punch or chisel is slim. I hate it when shit like that happens.

modmachz
08-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I can Fix this for you..

www.engine-rebuilders.com

Donny...

TransAm12sec
08-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Diamond cutters are stronger than carbide, but it's not really for this application. (Here's a link if the need ever comes up in the future http://www.sp3inc.com/)

On the topic of EDMs, I'm in contact with Allis Tool for some wire EDM work. Anyone know of other places in Milwaukee that have an EDM? Please PM me.