PDA

View Full Version : District 9

Goat Roper
08-15-2009, 04:38 PM
See this movie. It is what science fiction used to be and needs to be.

Bar none the best piece of sci-fi I have see in years.

It is rated "R" but I haven't the foggiest idea why. The alien weapons make a mess of things but how that justifies an "R" I do not know. Minimal language, it is safe for the kids. My 9 year old loved it.

d6PDlMggROA

ND4SPD
08-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Just watched the trailer... looks interesting.

Karps TA
08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
I really like the concept of the movie because it's exactly what I expect us to do if aliens ever did land here.

Goat Roper
08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Just watched the trailer... looks interesting.

Good point on the trailer, I will add it

Yooformula
08-15-2009, 05:44 PM
good to hear, I was a bit suspect of the movie at first!

95 TA - The Beast
08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
It is far from minimal language, as it is the F-word every 5-minutes or so...

Good Sci-Fi flick, a lot about the 'humane' element of being 'human'. A lot of sci-fi flicks forget to include that aspect of 'technology'. This one puts it in your face and force-feeds it to you.

Definitely gory as hell, borderline horrer flick actually. More in regards to alien and animal gore than human, but it does have plenty of blood and guts in it.

Just thought I would give a 'real' view of the flick from a parental standpoint. It really does deserve the 'R' rating.

Goat Roper
08-16-2009, 09:13 AM
It is far from minimal language, as it is the F-word every 5-minutes or so...

Good Sci-Fi flick, a lot about the 'humane' element of being 'human'. A lot of sci-fi flicks forget to include that aspect of 'technology'. This one puts it in your face and force-feeds it to you.

Definitely gory as hell, borderline horror flick actually. More in regards to alien and animal gore than human, but it does have plenty of blood and guts in it.

Just thought I would give a 'real' view of the flick from a parental standpoint. It really does deserve the 'R' rating.

I asked Braden about this and he said it was "like a video game". He likened it to the people who blow up in Unreal Tournament 2004. So if your kid plays 5 year old video games, it isn't anything new.

Yes there are f bombs but they are well placed. There isn't swearing for the sake of swearing. There is always action to go with the swearing...finding an alien hand and getting shot at will make most normal people start swearing. Braden doesn't even remember that there was even swearing in the movie because of this.

So basically, if you have ever let your kid play a FPS video game or watch an evening HBO movie, this really isn't much different. The rest of the kids will be going to see it today for this reason.

95 TA - The Beast
08-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow, if your likening the 'gore' in a shoot-em-up video-game to the graphic violence of a human being being exploded on the bigscreen, you REALLY have no touch with reality.

At one point there are appendages being hacked off with a hatchet. THAT is FAR froma video-game.

And how the hell is swearing ever well placed?

No wonder kids now-a-days are totally messed up. I would never imagine taking a 9 year old to this movie or worse yet, even younger.

Hell, based on your whacked out overview of the movie I took my 11-year-old and was shocked quite a bit. There is sexual overtones, there is the worst societies all over the world has to offer in that flick, etc... it is FAR from something for kids. If you don't get that you are SERIOUSLY messed up.

Again, this IS NOT a movie for kids. It deserves it's 'R' rating entirely.

Goat Roper
08-16-2009, 06:06 PM
The only references to sex were a single news report stating that gangs were giving women out for inter-species prostitution and another news report that said that so-n-so had sex with an alien. You get worse out of "Two and a Half Men".

There is swearing like you see in this movie and then the over-the-top "fuckity fuck fuck fuck" that we see in so many other movies. Here, in this case, the swearing was in direct reaction to a something we would all swear to. Getting thrown 40 feet by an alien would induce swear words from all of us. "Geewilickers" would not be my reaction. The curses were perfectly placed and never over the top.

The boys stick by their video game analogy. "Insta-gib" is what Josh calls it, which if you have ever played any of the "Unreal" games is incredibly accurate, people 'splode pretty much in the same manner. The violence isn't even close to what was in "300" from a blood standpoint. Like the youngest said "Does he understand that it is only a movie?"

I expose my kids to good cinema when it comes out, if it doesn't contain gratuitous sex at least. Everything else they have already seen on the news or playing games. We are kidding ourselves if we think that by not taking them to a movie that we have somehow stopped them from ever seeing anything violent or ever hearing a curse word. You start shielding them from it they will start making it a point to go find it and hide the fact from you that they did.

I think we can agree to disagree on this one.

T-Bag
08-16-2009, 09:26 PM
I'd hate to be one of your kids, do you keep leashes on them too and tie them in the basement and force feed them G rated movies? So the guy cut off a FAKE ALIEN FINGER with a hatchet with FAKE ALIEN BLOOD...how is that far from a video game? Goat Roper is spot on with the Insta-Gib analogy

Seems like you are the one who needs the reality check.

wrath
08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I haven't seen it yet but I bet there are more sexual overtones in anything with Miley Cyrus' mug on it.

BOSS LX
08-16-2009, 11:52 PM
I thought the movie was GAY!

Car Guy
08-17-2009, 01:20 AM
I thought the movie was GAY!

Seriously...??? I've heard nothing but great reviews on it and that doesn't include the ones in this thread......

BOSS LX
08-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Seriously...??? I've heard nothing but great reviews on it and that doesn't include the ones in this thread......

Don't let me make you not see it, but I thought it was GAY! I am not a huge sci-fi guy, so take it for what it is worth.

T-Bag
08-17-2009, 04:43 PM

It really did kind of suck. It started out kind of interesting and then just turned into any other sci-fi flick that's been beaten to death. Lasers, robots, and stupid plots.

Mr Twigbert
08-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I saw it last night..

I thought it was 'good'.. I'd give it a 6.5-7 over all.. Wasn't the best but I did find my self wanting to stay till the end to find out what happens..

Yooformula
08-27-2009, 11:56 PM
finally saw this tonight. I thought it was a cool sci-fi movie overall.

88Nightmare
08-28-2009, 12:57 AM
I saw this yesterday. It wasn't too bad. Story line was cool. Aliens arrived, they weren't bringing mass violence to earth (like independence day for example). They were about as violent as what you would expect for the north side of milwaukee. I felt the main character simply did NOT fit the movie. His acting, his dialogue....etc. Just didn't fit right with the rest of the movie.

Al
08-29-2009, 12:55 AM
I saw the movie and loved it!

It is a 180 from all of the other alien/scifi films that came out lately. The plot wanders all over the place and you really don't know where it will end.

If you saw it, do you remember the pig? I laughed through a fair portion of this film.

Sequel in three years?

Goat Roper
08-29-2009, 07:39 AM
If you saw it, do you remember the pig? I laughed through a fair portion of this film.

Sequel in three years?

That pig was an ode to "Half-Life" and got alot of cheers when we went to see it.

I hope there is a sequel in three years, can you imagine if a bunch of those ships come back for a rescue mission?

fivonut
08-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow!!! I can't believe people took kids to see this.....

On a side note, I can't believe I wasted 2.5 hours of my life and $20 to see this. It was predictable from the first second. If you couldn't see the end coming, then you probably rode the short bus as a kid. I'm fed up with Hollywood's attempt at force feeding a political agenda through entertainment. I want to be entertained, not brainwashed. Don't waste your time or money on this piece of crap flick.

awsomeears
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
The movie was Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All kinds of emotions throughout the movie, true sci-fi for sure !!!!!!!!!!

Al
09-01-2009, 04:02 AM
...can you imagine if a bunch of those ships come back for a rescue mission?

Or something else!!!

Goat Roper
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Interesting to see the range of thoughts on this movie. The majority of folks see it as a fresh movie but others see it as business as usual and lame for whatever reason.

gottwins?
09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
They were about as violent as what you would expect for the north side of milwaukee.

Hahahahaha

:rolf

My inner geek wants me to see this movie.

British_Ben
09-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I've gotta say, I really liked it. It got a bit slow for me in the middle, but overall it was a great film.

Goat Roper
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
For those that DID like it there is a DVDrip of it out on the torrents right now

subliminal1284
09-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Link to the torrent?

Car Guy
01-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I finally watched this movie today and liked it a LOT, will watch it again for sure.....

Holeshot
01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
I borrowed it this weekend but never watched it. Maybe tomorrow.

88Nightmare
01-24-2010, 10:52 PM
story line was great, but I still couldn't help but feel they could have chosen a better main character. I couldn't help but take his acting and accent humorously when it wasn't intended to be

Prince Valiant
01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
story line was great, but I still couldn't help but feel they could have chosen a better main character. I couldn't help but take his acting and accent humorously when it wasn't intended to bewell, on the accent, the guy is south african :goof

Car Guy
01-25-2010, 01:00 AM
story line was great, but I still couldn't help but feel they could have chosen a better main character. I couldn't help but take his acting and accent humorously when it wasn't intended to be

I thought the main character was spot on, and what Chris said about the accent.....:D

88Nightmare
01-25-2010, 01:15 AM
well, on the accent, the guy is south african :goof

I thought the main character was spot on, and what Chris said about the accent.....:D

well be that as it may or not be that, I still found that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't take the guy seriously. Apparently I wasn't alone either... when I saw it in theaters, there were a lot of people chuckling along with me

Car Guy
01-25-2010, 03:02 AM
well be that as it may or not be that, I still found that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't take the guy seriously. Apparently I wasn't alone either... when I saw it in theaters, there were a lot of people chuckling along with me

That aspect is part of his character and fit in with the overall story perfectly.....:)

OxmanWI
01-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Next on my Netflix’s, I like sci-fi movies so I wonder how I'll match up with some of the guys on here.

With the whole kid’s thing-be a parent, monitor what your kids watch or don’t monitor what your kids watch and let them grow up the why you want. Personally an "R" movie is made for older folks along with the "Mature" rating on a video game. I would never let a 9 year old see an “R” movie, let’s get real here.:rolleyes:

07ROUSHSTG3
01-25-2010, 08:07 AM
was going to rent this off on demand last weekend, but it was $13 for the HD?!??! WTF?

twicks69
01-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Bought it on Blu-Ray -- was alot of fun to watch! Unfortunately, my wife doesn't like these kinds of movies...sucks for her as she missed out on a fun movie with kickass effects.

I enjoyed it, and that is all that matters to me.

Definitely not a kid movie whatsoever.

Exitspeed
01-25-2010, 09:11 AM

That's how I felt about it too. I kinda ruined the movie for me.

88Nightmare
01-25-2010, 12:40 PM
That's how I felt about it too. I kinda ruined the movie for me.

exactly. movie definitely had potential though...

hrsp
01-26-2010, 12:37 AM
thought it was dumb as hell...few questions....

if that was an area for the aliens why were there so many human gangs in there?
the govt just let them hang out and sell shit?

why didnt the aliens just take the weapons the human drug lords had and start blasting away?

twicks69
01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Cause all they wanted was Cat Food. Hell, I would too after seeing how high they were getting off of it! :rolf

Holeshot
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Finally watched it last night. No Comment .

Car Guy
01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Finally watched it last night. No Comment .

Your reaction doesn't surprise me Dan.....:)

GTSLOW
01-28-2010, 08:33 AM
I want my HD On Demand rental money back. I actually fell a sleep during the last 30mins which I guess was supposed to be the exciting part?

hrsp
01-28-2010, 02:49 PM
I want my HD On Demand rental money back. I actually fell a sleep during the last 30mins which I guess was supposed to be the exciting part?

hahahaha yup but trust me...you didnt miss much