PDA

View Full Version : Youth Hunting Bill Signed into Law in the Badger State

That_Guy
08-14-2009, 09:24 AM
this was copied from my nra news letter that i had received via email. im not sure how i feel about this. when i was younger i walked along with my dad when he hunted from age 8 uptill 15. when i was 16 that was the first time i hunted alone. hunting with my father when i was younger gave me great respect for the power of a rifle and even more appreciation of the beauty of the big woods. i think this is a decent idea. imo

Today, Governor Jim Doyle (D) signed Senate Bill 167 into law.

Sponsored by State Senator Jim Holperin (D-12), SB167 will establish a mentored hunting program in Wisconsin. Similar to last year’s mentored hunting bill, it will provide first-time hunters a “try before you buy” opportunity to get the full experience of hunting before committing to a hunter education course. SB167 will require a new hunter to be accompanied by a licensed hunter who is at least 18 years of age and always within arms reach. Only one firearm will be allowed between the two hunters. The bill will also lower the hunting age in Wisconsin from 12 to 10 for individuals participating in the mentored hunting program.

Statistics show that states that allow hunters to start at earlier ages have a better safety record than states with higher minimum ages. SB167 will help ensure Wisconsin’s hunting tradition for generations to come, as states with lower age minimums also have a higher rate of hunter participation and retention, which helps the state in wildlife conservation efforts.

Thank you to all of the NRA members who answered the call to act in support of SB167. Without you, this victory would not have been possible.

URLOZIN
08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
I was already hunting at 10 anyway.

07ROUSHSTG3
08-14-2009, 02:36 PM
I do not agree with this. some kids are still pissing in their superman undies at 10. should not be in the woods with a firearm. just my opinion. and before the flaming, know that i hunt and own guns.

That_Guy
08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I do not agree with this. some kids are still pissing in their superman undies at 10. should not be in the woods with a firearm. just my opinion. and before the flaming, know that i hunt and own guns.

my concern is right around there.

Rocket Power
08-14-2009, 11:40 PM
But they have to be in arms reach of the adult and there is only one gun allowed between the two. I am assuming the way it would work is they wait for whatever they are hunting then the adult helps the kid shoot the game.
I was hunting at 12 or 13 and had my own 12 ga.

I'd take my daughter at ten, which is still a year away, with a .22 for some tree rat hunting if she wants.

Cars and hunting are 2 things every girl should be into:thumbsup

Coops Brother
08-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I was in the woods hunting with my dad at 10 or so, maybe younger. He had the shotgun or rifle, I walked along. The only difference now, is the youngin' can legally shoot a squirrel or whatever. Just a note, in my opinion, 12 years old is too young to be out there with a firearm by theirselves.

fivonut
08-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I see a lot of the same comment. "I was in the woods with my dad at (some age less than 12)." All this bill did was put in the books something which was already legal. So, I have to why. Why create a bill that legalizing something that was already legal. My guess is that sooner or later you're going to see a special permit required to take you 10 year old into the woods. Giving the gov. another way to make money off of a sport we all enjoy. My opinion, this bill probably one of the dumbest things hunters/gun owner could have ever supported.

Irish
08-23-2009, 10:36 AM

You got to start some where. I understand your concern but it's not like they are out on there own, they have to be accompanied by someone.

07ROUSHSTG3
08-24-2009, 07:34 AM
You got to start some where. I understand your concern but it's not like they are out on there own, they have to be accompanied by someone.

i understand that, however for every "good" hunter out there, there are 3 bad ones that are going to pass along their bad ways to a very impressionable 10 year old. now before the kid even goes to hunter's safety, he already has been taught how to do things, wrong or right. i understand that the numbers of kids hunting is dropping and they need to do something, but i do not like this idea. the "good" hunters were already taking their kids into the stand or out to the field so this was not needed. any parent who was going to teach their child to hunt or pass down the family hunting legacy was already going to do that anyway.

have you seen some of the yahoos out on public land during deer hunting?? now you want them to bring their 10 year old kids along too? no way.

Irish
08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
i understand that, however for every "good" hunter out there, there are 3 bad ones that are going to pass along their bad ways to a very impressionable 10 year old. now before the kid even goes to hunter's safety, he already has been taught how to do things, wrong or right. i understand that the numbers of kids hunting is dropping and they need to do something, but i do not like this idea. the "good" hunters were already taking their kids into the stand or out to the field so this was not needed. any parent who was going to teach their child to hunt or pass down the family hunting legacy was already going to do that anyway.

have you seen some of the yahoos out on public land during deer hunting?? now you want them to bring their 10 year old kids along too? no way.

I don't hunt animals so I am going to have to take your word on it.

Rocket Power
08-24-2009, 10:10 AM
have you seen some of the yahoos out on public land during deer hunting?? now you want them to bring their 10 year old kids along too? no way.They are why I don't normally go on public land, when I was 18 some dad had his kid sit on the trail going in, when my friend and I walked down the trail he was point his shotgun at me.
10 or 16 years old, moron parents will still teach them stupid shit. I was 9 or 10 when my friend and I both got BB guns, he had a strong hunting family whereas mine didn't really hunt. We weren't allowed to use them at all until we could recite the rules by memory and show we knew safe gun handling.