PDA

View Full Version : car stereo amp question.

LIZMO
08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
i recently bought a sc300 and it has the stock 12 disc changer in the trunk, i was annoyed with it not playing burned cds and how much it skipped w/ regular cds and sometimes didnt even play those.

so i put an aftermarket cd player in there. well... now when the cd player is on, it makes a squeeking/whining noise and gets louder when the rpm's go up and down... the person that installed it for me said it has to do w/ the stock amp and theres no way in fixing it besides getting a new cd player... does anyone else have this problem? how can i fix it, its quite annoying... can i just disconnect the stock amp?

Thanks in advance!
-Liz

PureSound15
08-12-2009, 08:25 PM
There might be a harness that routes your signal around the amp rather than through it. It's probably caused by a ground loop - so, beyond an isolator, it can sometimes be fixed by running a wire from the deck ground over to the amp ground.

Lash
08-12-2009, 10:48 PM
^ what he said

Ground loop noise can be a PITA.

LIZMO
08-12-2009, 10:49 PM
im kinda confused cuz i dont know much about stereo/wiring except to match each color lol.
so do one of you wanna help me out? :) i give free pizza! lol.

team beater
08-13-2009, 07:24 AM
definitely a ground issue

LIZMO
08-13-2009, 10:07 PM
i found a write up on how to connect the aftermarket harness to the stock lexus harness which looks like alot of rewiring and cutting and taping wires and that is something i dont really feel like doing... so ill look into the ground issue, or take it somewhere lol.

Philly-O
08-13-2009, 11:41 PM
a few questions...
what year is the car?
was there any "noise" with the factory head unit?
do all of the speakers work now (eventhough there is noise)?

we can figure this out for you.

lordairgtar
08-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Try checking to see if the plug wires have a crack or broken core. Sounds lame but that would sometimes cause the whine you here. Also, the brushes inside the alternator might be dirty causing that same sound.

Flicktitty
08-14-2009, 07:57 AM
it's a 1996 Lexus SC300.

it's some sort of Engine ground problem. people say it's an altenator whine/engine noise. the car didn't have the sound with the HU only the new one.

Philly-O
08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
it has been a while since i have done one of theese cars, but i am pretty sure that you can run new speaker wires from the new radio into the trunck where tha factory amp is. not sure of the wire colors but last time i did one of theese i used a tone generator to find speakers.

metra makes an integration harness that uses the rca jacks on the new radio instead of speaker leads. alot of times the speaker level is too much input for the factory amp tohandle so that is where alot of noise comes in.
part # 70-8112
they also make a dash kit for that car if you haven't already got it.
part # 99-8157B for a single din or # 95-8157B for dbl din.

if you need either parts i can order them and have them next day but dont have them in stock.