PDA

View Full Version : The Ford Focus RS is the faster car Ford has ever made

Exitspeed
08-10-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/10/video-ford-focus-rs-falls-short-of-record-with-8-26-nurburgring/

Point to point, the Ford Focus RS is touted as the fastest vehicle the company has ever made. It reportedly lapped Ford's Lommel test track in Belgium, where we had the chance to sample the second-fiddle Focus ST, faster than the Ford GT supercar. But it's still wasn't fast enough to set a new Nurburgring lap record for its class.

As promised, Ford took its latest hot hatch around the 'Ring in pursuit of the front-drive record currently held by the track-focused Renaultsport Megane R26.R, which set a blistering time of 8 minutes, 17 seconds. Ford's time? 8 minutes, 26 seconds. The session, which you can watch in the pair of videos after the jump, was held in conjunction with German car mag Sport-Auto, whose editor-in-chief Horst von Saurma-Jeltsch, a noted master of the Nordschleife, performed the driving duties. And while the Focus RS may have come up some nine seconds slower than the Renault, you can bet Ford will give it another shot or two before claiming defeat.

It's awesome and funny (if say you own a Ford GT) at the same time.

deuceWI
08-10-2009, 02:48 PM
I want one.

My Mazda3 will get traded in a heartbeat if Ford ever sells them in the US. That's pretty unlikely though. And I'm happy with my Mazda/Ford/Volvo too, so I'm not going to worry about it.

STANMAN
08-10-2009, 03:52 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/10/video-ford-focus-rs-falls-short-of-record-with-8-26-nurburgring/

Guy from work just got shipped to England, he brought back a car mag and I was reading about this car. It's 24K euro, which roughly translates to 36K american. That's a lot of $$$$ for a Focus. They look very nice though, and obviously the performance is there. They did comment how it uses the stock Focus parts heavily in the cabin, which they downgraded it for.

Exitspeed
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Guy from work just got shipped to England, he brought back a car mag and I was reading about this car. It's 24K euro, which roughly translates to 36K american. That's a lot of $$$$ for a Focus. They look very nice though, and obviously the performance is there. They did comment how it uses the stock Focus parts heavily in the cabin, which they downgraded it for.

That's $113k less then a Ford GT. Sounds like a deal to me.

It's not apples to apples obviously.

But it is a nice feather in the focus's cap.

deuceWI
08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
But car pricing varies drastically dependent on different markets.

I won't compare the Euro Focus to the US version since they are very different cars, but say you compare something like the Mazda3 which is more similar (but has many engine options overseas including diesel, which the US never gets.) In the UK you could spec one out to cost about 19000 pounds which translates into about $31k! If you spec out a similar car at Mazda USA, it's about a $19k car.

So, , , costs can vary wildly between different markets. And a Focus RS selling for 26000 pounds could sell in the US for $26k, and be competitive in that price range.

lordairgtar
08-10-2009, 04:11 PM
tobciously.
^^^^^^
What is this word suppose to be?

RanJer
08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
tobciously.
^^^^^^

I'm gonna say it was supposed to be 'obviously' based on context and similar letter pattern.

Mel's just a :durr

Exitspeed
08-10-2009, 04:50 PM
tobciously.
^^^^^^

I'm gonna say it was supposed to be 'obviously' based on context and similar letter pattern.

Mel's just a :durr

Obviously it was obviously.

Jer's a smart one.

xxsn0blindxx
08-10-2009, 09:14 PM

36k is a lot for Focus but its also a lot for a Mitsubishi Lnacer or a Subaru Impreza and people paid it for EVOs and STIs and I would argue that base Euro Focus is a much better starting point than a base Lancer and slightly better than the base Impreza.

stealthy1ss
08-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Point to point, the Ford Focus RS is touted as the fastest vehicle the company has ever made. It reportedly lapped Ford's Lommel test track in Belgium, where we had the chance to sample the second-fiddle Focus ST, faster than the Ford GT supercar. But it's still wasn't fast enough to set a new Nurburgring lap record for its class.

Do you know what the class leader is? It is the Cobalt SS/TC.

deuceWI
08-10-2009, 10:30 PM

The class leader has been canned by GM / Obama Motors? :(

Sounds like they might be going away already?

Not sure if that's 100% true, but hopefully GM's good stuff won't all disappear. (Please stay a while Camaro)

That_Guy
08-10-2009, 10:44 PM
they're replacing the cobalt with the cruz... weak.. they aren't even planning on making a 2 door "ss" model of the cruz "super lame" considering all of the concept models are freaking hot looking

SSLEVO
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM

"As promised (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/26/ford-focus-rs-heads-to-ring-in-search-of-a-class-record/), Ford took its latest hot hatch around the 'Ring in pursuit of the front-drive record currently held by the track-focused Renaultsport Megane R26.R (http://www.autoblog.com/tag/RenaultsportMeganeR26R/), which set a blistering time of 8 minutes, 17 seconds. Ford's time? 8 minutes, 26 seconds."

Pays to read the link :goof

WhatsADSM
08-11-2009, 11:22 AM

That's the biggest bunch of BS I have ever read. No way in HELL the focus RS is faster around nurburgring than a ford GT. Period. 8:26 isnt even close. :chair:

Exitspeed
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
That's the biggest bunch of BS I have ever read. No way in HELL the focus RS is faster around nurburgring than a ford GT. Period. 8:26 isnt even close. :chair:

Hey don't shoot the messenger.

You're right though the Ford GT lapped it in 7:40.

07ROUSHSTG3
08-11-2009, 12:09 PM
did ford test the GT there though. i understood it as: the focus rs was the fastest car ford ever brought to the ring, not the fastest ford ever at the ring?!??!

DRK
08-11-2009, 02:59 PM

Not to mention that a basically stock GT with a TT kit will go 220+MPH in the standing mile.

This is like Pontiac saying the GTO was faster/better then a 250GTO

Exitspeed
08-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Not to mention that a basically stock GT with a TT kit will go 220+MPH in the standing mile.

If it had a TT Kit it wouldn't be stock then...

stealthy1ss
08-11-2009, 06:02 PM
"As promised (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/26/ford-focus-rs-heads-to-ring-in-search-of-a-class-record/), Ford took its latest hot hatch around the 'Ring in pursuit of the front-drive record currently held by the track-focused Renaultsport Megane R26.R (http://www.autoblog.com/tag/RenaultsportMeganeR26R/), which set a blistering time of 8 minutes, 17 seconds. Ford's time? 8 minutes, 26 seconds."

Pays to read the link :goof

Yes but the Renaultsport Megane R26.R ran that time with slicks which I don't think came from the factory that way.:D

DRK
08-11-2009, 09:13 PM
If it had a TT Kit it wouldn't be stock then...

After looking again at the title, your ability to reason logically is on par with your English skills.

Exitspeed
08-12-2009, 09:27 AM
After looking again at the title, your ability to reason logically is on par with your English skills.

So I've been told.

The title of the thread is a rephrase from the article FROM AUTOBLOG. Which was posted in the original post AND a fuckin link was posted.

Point to point, the Ford Focus RS is touted as the fastest vehicle the company has ever made.

So obviously your just reading skills are on point with mine. Man there are a lotta of perfect people on this site.

TURTLE
08-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Yes but the Renaultsport Megane R26.R ran that time with slicks which I don't think came from the factory that way.:D

slicks, or the factory equipped michelin pilot sport cup tires? pilot sport cups are the closest thing to slicks i've had the opportunity to run on...

GTSLOW
08-12-2009, 08:17 PM
I was reading about this in car and driver today. 2.5L I-5, new suspension is supposed to eliminate fwd torque steer.