PDA

View Full Version : Diesel in WI Winter

BoosTT
08-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I’ve been thinking about getting a diesel truck to haul, but have been holding back because I heard they have issues starting when it gets cold. I know if you plug them in, it’s no problem. The thing is, I don’t have anywhere to plug it in. I don’t have electricity in my garage or outside parking area.

Generally, if I let a diesel sit in an unheated garage, unplugged, would I have issues in winter? The garage is pretty much always 25 degrees f or warmer. And then what about when I park it outside when I am at work? What do you do on those really cold 5 degree days?

johnny--2k
08-09-2009, 03:20 PM
a newer diesel should not have any problems. how old of a truck are you looking at? we had a new 2008 f250 diesel at work as a plow truck, got in first thing in the morning and it fired right up with no issues....

BoosTT
08-09-2009, 03:25 PM
2000 or newer. Is this too old to be reliable in winter?

Smokey1226
08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
you shouldnt have any worries, i always plug my truck in when its going to be 0* or below at night. But honestly, when we had the -15 or w/e it was and i let it sat all day and drove home at night from work i NEVERRRR had an issue. I usually let the wait light go off and give it a few more seconds then start it. Never had a long cranking start

T-Bag
08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
You should be fine. Make sure to run some diesel-aid in the tank so the fuel doesn't gel up. I always plug mine in when its cold out, its just easier on the motor and quicker to warm up...but its not necessary. I don't know if you can double-cycle the glow plugs on Fords, but the dodge's intake heater can be cycled a couple of times.

Dr.Buick
08-10-2009, 11:09 AM
I have NEVER plugged in my 03 or 08 duramax's, have never had a problem, and mine sits more in winter than gets driven.

Anakonda69
08-10-2009, 12:25 PM
i would just use some power service in the fuel in the winter. i try and plug mine in whenever possible. inside the garage won't be an issue. anything under 10 degrees and i even plug mine in at work. i just don't like taking the chance of it gelling up or any extra wear if it's not needed. i even plug mine in when i park in the garage overnight.

Russ Jerome
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
You can leave any newer light duty diesel unplugged these days in our worst winter nights without worry. An uplraded fuel/water seperator is cheap insurance in the off chance you get some crap fuel along the way.