PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of a wood chuck and a fox

DoubleAron
08-08-2009, 08:23 AM
What is the best way? The wood chuck is the main concern, he keeps on digging under our shed and is getting pretty brave coming out when the kids are playing less then 10ft. away.
We have 2 little kids and a dog so poison and claw traps are not really an option. I thought I remember hearing you could go to the humane society and get live traps.
The fox is just kind of a pain in the butt the gets the dog wound up when it is outside.

That_Guy
08-08-2009, 08:30 AM
moth balls around the shed thats how we keep varmint out of the garden. that and a 10/22

mr.gone1985
08-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Pm sent.

VroomPshhTsi
08-08-2009, 09:54 AM
email her and describe your problem, she will know:
mfeavel@helpingwildlife.org

URLOZIN
08-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Shoot the bastards!

BigBadGTA
08-08-2009, 10:35 AM
fuckin shoot um up!!

stealthy1ss
08-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Live traps should work for the woodchuck but fox are very smart and will not go into a live trap unless you bait them for a few days without setting the trap. We have had a lot of problems with fox digging holes in our greens at the course and they are a pain in the ass to get rid of.

lordairgtar
08-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Try putting human hair in the holes under the shed. They might stay away from that. It's how I kept deer out of a garden.

And how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

UnderPSI
08-08-2009, 11:47 AM
What would you put in a live trap to catch a wood chuck?

MurphysLaw88GT
08-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Wood?

TheRX7Project
08-08-2009, 12:02 PM
How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck if you shot him with my 10/22?

UnderPSI
08-08-2009, 12:41 PM
None I would guess

DoubleAron
08-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Shooting them is pretty much out of the question seeing as I live in the Village of Pewaukee.
I already nailed one in the head with a huge rock and went under the shed and died, it stunk so bad in our back yard for a month but now one is back.

BOSS LX
08-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I already nailed one in the head with a huge rock and went under the shed and died, it stunk so bad in our back yard for a month but now one is back.

Who are you, Barney Rubble? :rolf

DoubleAron
08-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Ask my father in law the the next time you talk to him. We were standing on the porch looking at him up by the shed and I asked if I should try and hit him with a rock. He said to go ahead, and no lie with the 1st rock I nailed him right between the eyes. This was from the patio all the way up to the shed, John could not believe it.
I prefer Davey Crockett.

TheRX7Project
08-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Shooting them is pretty much out of the question seeing as I live in the Village of Pewaukee.

You should be able to get an airsoft or pellet gun and nail it. My grandpa used to tag squirrels eating out of his birdfeeder all the time with a pellet gun and nobody said anything.

The Fox... well... you're on your own there. I don't think a pellet gun would do much more than piss it off.

DoubleAron
08-08-2009, 01:43 PM
A guy at work was telling me that a pellet gun won't do aything to a wood chuck.

GTSLOW
08-08-2009, 01:47 PM

:rolf

PureSound15
08-08-2009, 01:47 PM
a pellet gun with the right pellet will do something :)

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0014190224838a.shtml

Out of a pump bb gun - pretty much takes care of anything if you're within 50 yards.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_224838_imageset_01?$main-Medium$

Doc Brown
08-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I flushed the family of Possums out from under my rear deck with a common garden hose set to the full stream setting. They got so wet and miserable that the parent ran out with a few babies attached to it and scampered off toward the corner of the yard. About 5 minutes later it reappeared balancing on top of the fence and made it's way to another yard. :thumbsup

Russ Jerome
08-08-2009, 04:12 PM
A traditional pellet gun regardless the pellet will mame them, then they can crawl under your house and die...and rot all summer. There are pellet rifles that will kill antelope but I kinda doubt any of our members own $1800 pellet rifles of that quality.

I've got a live trap and a location to release them....later to be shot during hunting season :) Seriously I'd love to come remove them, free for charge.

FourEyedFord
08-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I have a pump beebee gun that my dad used to nail squirels off of a birdfeeder behind our old house. He tried to just scare them away with it, but he ended up killing a couple of them with just a few pumps. Let me know!

TheRX7Project
08-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I flushed the family of Possums out from under my rear deck with a common garden hose set to the full stream setting. They got so wet and miserable that the parent ran out with a few babies attached to it and scampered off toward the corner of the yard. About 5 minutes later it reappeared balancing on top of the fence and made it's way to another yard. :thumbsup

Aww but we were gona have a possum party!

URLOZIN
08-08-2009, 05:50 PM
A pellet gun will kill a fox or a woodchuck. We used to shoot coyotes with a pellet gun after we trapped them, so it didn't make a big hole in the skin. Or you can try a wrist rocket. I know, I know, you may think a slingshot won't kill anything, but use 1/2'' marbles or lead balls and shoot them. I used to go rabbit and squirrel hunting with a slingshot, cuz it was to easy with a gun. Works great, you just need to practice a bit, and make sure you hit em in the head. They always died right in the spot i shot them too. No crawling away.

TheRX7Project
08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
A friend of mine put a pretty big dent in a Camaro on time with a wrist rocket and a quarter.

Russ Jerome
08-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Killing woodchucks with pellet guns is something I dont want to watch, I've blown nearly the rear 1/4 off a woodchuck with a 308 and watched them drag there bleeding torso into a hole, bitchin at me as I peared into the hole. Blew the nose and most of the front upper jaw off another before I corner him in a shed, 3 more .223 rounds later the vermin was still twitchin. Woodchucks and Badgers are some stout critters in my book.

I've dropped Fox with a .22 rimfire but they drop like rabbits anyway, they are soft skinned like a cat.

VroomPshhTsi
08-08-2009, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't shoot either of them... but hey what do I know, I was born with a soul :goof

URLOZIN
08-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't shoot either of them... but hey what do I know, I was born with a soul :goof
Pu$$y...:goof:D

VroomPshhTsi
08-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Use humane hazing techniques. The woodchuck is there because it is dark and quiet, make it bright and loud. Use a radio at AM talk radio (not music) and either flashlights or floodlights. Give it 2-3 days running both lights and radio... the woodchucks will want to relocated himself + family (it takes 2-3 days so they can find a new place and move). Once they are gone, be sure to block any entry way back in/under otherwise something else will move in.

Fox won't attack your kids or dog, unless it's a really small dog. Just be loud (clapping, yelling, etc.) anytime it comes around.

VroomPshhTsi
08-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Pu$$y...:goof:D

Nope, just not a dick :thumbsup

88blknotch
08-10-2009, 09:29 AM
your gunna shoot ur eye out!

DoubleAron
08-10-2009, 09:44 AM

:thumbsup

STANMAN
08-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Nope, just not a dick :thumbsup

Just for clarification, if you kill an animal that makes you a dick with no soul? That's pretty harsh.

michelle
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Some of you are absolutely disgusting.

BOSS LX
08-10-2009, 10:23 AM

:rolf

Gregor
08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/gopher-blaster.html

best answer evar

VroomPshhTsi
08-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Just for clarification, if you kill an animal that makes you a dick with no soul? That's pretty harsh.

If you kill an animal unnecessarily when you can easily get it to leave in a humane way then yes, you are a dick (the soul one was a joke).

Moparjim
08-10-2009, 01:32 PM
My Siberian Husky killed a giant woodchuck one time in my backyard. It was one of the freakiest incidents of my life lol. I hear the dog and woodchuck going crazy in my yard and I get outside to see what the hell is up just in time to see my dog jumping and running around the thing all crazy and then pounce on it, grab it in his jaws like right in the middle of its back, and toss it up in the air a bit. I ran the dog off before he could maim it or try to eat it (he had quite a kill total of birds and rabbits and mice already by this time in his life) and the woodchuck was just lying there on its back emitting the most aweful screeching sound and pissing itself straight up in the air. I ended up having to grab a shovel which was all I had handy at the time and bonk the thing over the head a couple of times to finish it off.

I have a soul, so I did indeed feel kind of bad lol.

Irish
08-10-2009, 01:43 PM
http://img252.imageshack.us/i/gamowhisper1ma9.jpg/

Gamo pellet gun. You can get them at any local Gander Mountain or online. Crack it in half, load your pellet, and you are ready to shoot. Bad thing is it's one shot, then you have to reload.

Get one of these. They will take out any small vermin that you may encounter.

URLOZIN
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
If you kill an animal unnecessarily when you can easily get it to leave in a humane way then yes, you are a dick (the soul one was a joke).

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one:thumbsup

pnad
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Use broccoli as bait for a woodchuck according to a co-worker who lives in the country. Apparently it is irresistible to the suckers.

Lash
04-18-2010, 12:43 PM
A traditional pellet gun regardless the pellet will mame them, then they can crawl under your house and die...and rot all summer. There are pellet rifles that will kill antelope but I kinda doubt any of our members own $1800 pellet rifles of that quality.

I've got a live trap and a location to release them....later to be shot during hunting season :) Seriously I'd love to come remove them, free for charge.

Thats the way I feel as well. I'm having serious reservations on trying to take them out with the .22LR with subsonics. I've seen them run pretty far after taking a .17 HMR to the chest. The last thing I wasnt is them rotting under my shed which would probably bring a whole other slew of bigger animals around. Our lasapoo would probably make a nice snack for a yote....or even a fox.

I'll let you know about removing them Russ.

lordairgtar
04-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Use humane hazing techniques. The woodchuck is there because it is dark and quiet, make it bright and loud. Use a radio at AM talk radio

On the news today: Woodchucks from all over gathered at their very own Tea Party event!