PDA

View Full Version : need work on laptop

Monstr913
08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
so my lap top is about 3-4 years old Dell Inspirion B130 and about a month ago it kept freezing on start up menu...so my brother dumped my hard drive and reinstalled XP now it isn't reading my wireless card and pretty much is missing a bunch of stuff...i know minimal about computers and hes busy and having a difficult time figuring it out...wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to a good place or person to take it too? we figure it shouldn't take more than an hour or so...any insight would be great

Yooformula
08-05-2009, 02:57 PM
there are few guys here really good with this stuff, hopefully they chime in soon for ya.

Myles
08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Sounds like maybe the Dell drivers are not installed. You can try going to the dell site and type in the information of the laptop and look for the things that are missing or not working properly.

BoosTT
08-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Sounds like maybe the Dell drivers are not installed. You can try going to the dell site and type in the information of the laptop and look for the things that are missing or not working properly.

Exactly. Go to the device manager (under the control pannel). Everything with a yellow question mark needs a driver yet.

Get the drives off the dell website. You find your drivers by entering your dell express service code. You are going to need two computers, atleast until you get the ethernet/wireless drivers installed.

wikked
08-05-2009, 05:09 PM
^^^

Thumbdrives are great for this kind of thing, so you don't have to go burning cd's for a few files.

Anakonda69
08-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Only problem is he bought this computer from the liquidator place. i will try this tonight on the computer just not sure if all the parts inside are factory. didn't wanna rip the case open if i didn't have too. thanks for the help guys.

subliminal1284
08-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Sounds like your brother doesnt really know what hes doing and failed to re install the drivers after installing XP. If you were close to Kenosha I would help you out.

Anakonda69
08-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Sounds like your brother doesnt really know what hes doing and failed to re install the drivers after installing XP. If you were close to Kenosha I would help you out.

thank you captain obvious. i did not reinstall the drivers yet due to the fact that i have been a lil busy selling my house and haven't had time to work on it. also not knowing what parts are inside the computer makes it hard to dl the correct driver. there are no restore disks either so evrything has to be done manually.

WickedSix
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
damn ty your brother sounds no effin good :rolf :rolf steals your programmer...wont fix ur computer right.. :rolf

Myles
08-06-2009, 01:27 PM
thank you captain obvious. i did not reinstall the drivers yet due to the fact that i have been a lil busy selling my house and haven't had time to work on it. also not knowing what parts are inside the computer makes it hard to dl the correct driver. there are no restore disks either so evrything has to be done manually.

In order for the parts inside to have been swapped it would have to be a completely new mobo in most cases. Laptops are not configurable hardware wise like desktops are. ALWAYS put drivers on it regardless if you think hardware isn't the same when it comes to laptops.

Anakonda69
08-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks myles. i will be working on it tonight. it's been awhile since i had to do this stuff. just looking for a push in the right direction. pat you can buy me a ppe. lol

ND4SPD
08-06-2009, 05:37 PM
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=mn

Put in your service tag and start downloading drivers from a different computer if necessary. If you don't have a usb flash drive... go buy one even if it's only a 1GB.

Anakonda69
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
his service tag sticker is gone so i'm doing it by product number

ND4SPD
08-06-2009, 06:49 PM
I think you can look up the service tag in the Bios if you need to. Del or F2 at startup should get you into it.

BoosTT
08-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Once you get the computer online- you can click the service tag link and the dell website finds it for you.

Anakonda69
08-07-2009, 06:30 AM
problem now is in order to install drivers i need to have installer 3.1 or newer which need service pack 2 or better so i am dling the service pack and new installer which will hopefully work and allow me to install the drivers. lol

Cutlass Queen
08-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Sounds like your brother has no idea what the hell he's doing......hehehe Hi Brandon :goof

Anakonda69
08-07-2009, 09:26 AM
you wanna fix it deanna? that oughta be fun to watch. lol

Cutlass Queen
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
you wanna fix it deanna? that oughta be fun to watch. lol

I can fix anything if you let me use a hammer :D

Exitspeed
08-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Download Windows 7. You don't need to install the drivers then.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx