PDA

View Full Version : Cash for clunkers *pics*

70 cutlass 442
08-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I was at a local scrap yards today,, and tow truck after tow truck were comming in to drop off what appears to be DECENT, clean, rust free late model cars.....

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6427&d=1249438736
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6428&d=1249438736

Yooformula
08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
sucks that none of those motors can help out the people that couldnt afford a new vehicle.

Reverend Cooper
08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
you have to drain the oil and dump a slicate based fluid in it then run it till it pukes

70 cutlass 442
08-04-2009, 09:32 PM
sucks that none of those motors can help out the people that couldnt afford a new vehicle.

Its a waste, thats for sure. But like coop said, you have to destroy the motor before it even leaves the dealers lot.

Plum Crazy
08-04-2009, 09:36 PM
ill post pics once we start taking in the 80+ vehicles we will be getting.

DerangedPony
08-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Yesterday I took in a 98 Dodge 1500 with 66k miles. :(

agent orange acr
08-04-2009, 09:43 PM
couldn't buy it from the junk yard as a roller and just put a motor in? those are some clean clunkers, some of the ones I seen aren't that nice.

DerangedPony
08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
You could buy the rest of the truck minus the Motor and trans. It would have a salvage title then?

Ricky Bobby
08-04-2009, 10:11 PM
somehow i see this biting us in the long run killing these cars since they arent junk just dont get great gas mileage, seems stupid i hope the yards are keeping them and at least selling all the useable parts before crushing them also if anyone gets in any bubble gms like caprices i would be interested in buying them with blown motors for derby cars since they are goin to the scrap yard anyway maybe i can save a few and put them to a decent death :thumbsup

70 cutlass 442
08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
couldn't buy it from the junk yard as a roller and just put a motor in? those are some clean clunkers, some of the ones I seen aren't that nice.

Im not sure, I know that the particular yard i was at does not have a delaer license, so im not sure if they can flip the car. I dont even know what the policy is on taking parts off if them are. I will be back there tommrow so i will ask the owner..... Either way we will all end up paying for this for a very long time.... thanks Obama :durr

SSLEVO
08-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Yesterday I took in a 98 Dodge 1500 with 66k miles. :(

Wouldn't that be worth more than 4500??? I don't really agree with the way this is going down. Why destroy cars that run when there are so many people that can't afford a car to begin with.

lilws6
08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I just swaped some tires on a REALLY clean 93 f150 with 66,000 miles on it. They were taking it to the cash for clunkers and i was puting hte tires of the truck on a suburban go figure makes no sense but what ever

70 cutlass 442
08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
I really want to see what the figures are when this is all over.... I think this will not only back fire in the sence that all these cars traded in will cost the government (us) money in the long run, but how many of these cars are being traded in towards the purchase of imports? soooo in the end, we will just be stimulating the overseas economy even more as ours remains in the shitter.... what a fuck story.

lordairgtar
08-04-2009, 10:44 PM
This is treason!!! Wasteful treason.

agent orange acr
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
ok, they buy a car then they pay tax's on the purchase. I wonder how much money in tax's this program generated.

lordairgtar
08-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Not as much as was wasted. Did you ever here of anyone paying $4500 in taxes on an everyday car?

Burgandy85SS
08-04-2009, 10:56 PM
I really want to see what the figures are when this is all over.... I think this will not only back fire in the sence that all these cars traded in will cost the government (us) money in the long run, but how many of these cars are being traded in towards the purchase of imports? soooo in the end, we will just be stimulating the overseas economy even more as ours remains in the shitter.... what a fuck story.

This is the exact thing we were saying at work today.

awsomeears
08-04-2009, 11:00 PM
That's fucking bullshit !!!

I'm not sure what the exact rules are but it would be a dam shame to crush the whole car and not be able to take any parts off of it.

obama and his idiots are well idiots

lordairgtar
08-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Fu(king communists!

agent orange acr
08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I dont think they completely destroy everything just the motor, but i think they strip it then crush the shell.

agent orange acr
08-04-2009, 11:09 PM
now i know were to get a demo derby car.

DynoTom
08-04-2009, 11:29 PM
The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:
1. 1998 Ford Explorer

2. 1997 Ford Explorer

3. 1996 Ford Explorer

4. 1999 Ford Explorer

5. Jeep Grand Cherokee

6. Jeep Cherokee

7. 1995 Ford Explorer

8. 1994 Ford Explorer

9. 1997 Ford Windstar

10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers New Cars:
1. Ford Focus

2. Honda Civic

3. Toyota Corolla

4. Toyota Prius

5. Ford Escape

6. Toyota Camry

7. Dodge Caliber

8. Hyundai Elantra

9. Honda Fit

10. Chevy Cobalt

Car Guy
08-05-2009, 12:04 AM
The motors are junk when the vehicles arrive at the parts yard and then there is a period of (I think) 180 days to sell parts off them. After that whatever is left goes to the automotive heaven via the ‘crusher’......

Gregor
08-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Not what i heard. The cars go to the dealership for the 4500 rebate. then the service dept is to drain the engine oil and pour in the silicate which blows the engine. After that they are to be towed to the scrap yard (not a auto salvage yard) where the only things that can be removed are the cats, rad, rims and tires.

If caught removing any parts from the at dealership or yards can be punished with a 15k fine.

Nice huh?

Silver86
08-05-2009, 02:12 AM
some of the cars ive seen traded to this program make me sick to my stomach...

Ricky Bobby
08-05-2009, 02:38 AM
ill stick with what i got, not gonna support the stupid president and his fucking puppets. I still dont see this helping the hard working american :stare

hrsp
08-05-2009, 03:05 AM
all these dealers taking in all these cars im sure it would be relatively easy to get parts off them before they get shipped out...?

Rocket Power
08-05-2009, 04:17 AM
So all the people that were thinking of buying a car or were on the fence have now got them. So how are car sales going to be now?

So now we've pissed away a couple billion, destroyed cars that could have been bought buy people without a lot of money and who couldn't afford a new car, and now will likely end up in another car sales slump since everyone who was going to buy just did.

Sounds great:rolleyes:

What's the next gov't money gobbler?

Silver350
08-05-2009, 07:36 AM
I was talking to a friend that works at Greenfield pontiac. He said that they are not selling a lot because 1. they dont have the inventory on their lots to compete with other import dealers 2. I guess they do things the way they supose to have the person fill out a form and then they send it somewhere and then this group determines what the people are to get for this car.

I heard Wild Toyota sold 95 new cars since this started. Now what Obama should of done is only made that cash for clunkers cars good for only GM or Chrysler cars seeing they are the ones that took the goverment money. All they are doing is putting money in other peoples hands. Bush pissed off everyone in other countries now Obama is putting it up our ass's

jon_we4
08-05-2009, 08:18 AM
I still dont see this helping the hard working american :stare

People's retirement accounts are much healthier these past few weeks. Look at what Ford (F) did in the past 2 weeks between reorganizing debt so they didn't appear to loose money (posted a "profit") and having a great sales month.

At a time when local governments are lacking funds they'll have new car sales tax rolling in at YTD record highs.

Auto Manufacturers have to keep their plants running longer which means for the people who were not laid off, but not working because of plant shutdowns, will be able to get their income flowing. Even Honda and Toyota plants in the US and Canada are positivity affected.

Boosting consumer confidence and just getting people out to buy things goes a long way to make people feel like the worst is over.

Not only that, but people are buying more cars period. They might not qualify for CARS - or they want to spend less. Used car prices are steady and inventory is moving.

Is it perfect? Nope - nothing is - especially from the gov. But it's done more good than last years stimulus for a heck of a lot less.

If the ball keeps rolling, this time next year everyone will forget about this and things will be better for the hard working American. More work, more money, home values will kick back...... and then gas will hit some obscene amount when the oil companies realize they can start teh rape again.

I realize I'm going against the grain on this one - but I'm more of a big picture and silver lining guy.

EDIT: I don't agree with the "green" aspect of this and the crushing of perfectly good cars tho. There could have been a better way to handle some of that. Something that could have helped out those that couldn't afford a new car regardless of the rebate.

Nix
08-05-2009, 10:35 AM
I feel sorry for the used car dealerships.

shoooo32
08-05-2009, 10:43 AM
is it perfect? Nope - nothing is - especially from the gov. But it's done more good than last years stimulus for a heck of a lot less.

qft.

Karps TA
08-05-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not crying cause a bunch of 90's blazers and explorers are off the road and their owners are now driving cars getting way better gas mileage. The more people who do that, the more I'll get to keep driving whatever I want.

And for the "poor" people who could use a car, what would any of those cars do for them when they can't afford the gas to fill them up every month? Not too mention the constant repairs many of those cars need.

Not a single tear shedded here. Those ain't classics.

lilws6
08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
most of those blazers and explorers are death traps anyway. Ball joint failures and such

davidrab
08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Please don't post a pic of a nice late '90's Cherokee Sport. I want one sometime:crying

4eyedstang
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
from what i heard 6 out of every 10 cars sold under cash for clunkers
was a Toyota Honda or hyundai so not only are we drying up the used car market where sending are tax dollars straight out of the country.

great success?

jbiscuit
08-05-2009, 12:38 PM
the cash for clunkers should have ONLY been offered towards the purchase of a Detroit vehicle.

Karps TA
08-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Number 1 selling car was a Ford Fiesta. And yes some cars were foreign cars, but they had to be. Think about it for a second why that makes sense.

#1 choices for a cheap domestic car were Fiesta, Caliber and Cobalt. All of which were top 10 selling cars. But all of which were limited selections at many dealerships.

#2 People driving a 94 Explorer can't afford a high car payment. If they could do you think they'd have been driving that shit box for as long as they have? So they were looking for cars that would have a $200 payment or so. Which means you're not getting a Fusion or Malibu.

#3 Last time I checked the foreign dealerships here aren't filled with asian sales people. The factories all over the country building the cars aren't filled with asian workers. Matter of fact the Domestic factories are mostly filled with Mexican's and Canadians CAUSE THAT's WHERE THE PLANTS ARE.

If they made is a Domestic vehicle only program, it would have been a HUGE failure.

TransAm12sec
08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
There was a Buick Roadmaster at 5 corners with an LT1 Vette Engine traded in as a clunker.

Holeshot
08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
All that can be removed from the vehicle after it leaves the dealer is the tires,cat , battery, condenser and drain the fluids. then it has to be crushed.

1320PNY
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
How about they just give EVERYONE a $4500 tax exemption? That would put the $4500 into everyone's pocket and stimulate the total U.S. economy.

Instead, they collect the money, subsidize the new vehicle market, kill the cars, and stimulate overseas trade.

The crushed cars are going to China to be melted down and then sold back to us as raw metal or Chinese metal goods. The whole GREEN thing is shit because China doesn't have stringent pollution laws and the melting down of all these cars is going to cause tons more "greenhouse" gasses than the 1 to 2 MPG difference the new cars make.

Anybody looking at the "Big Picture"? I don't think so. This is the same horseshit as the Prius. It will take about 5 years before we realize we did it to ourselves again!

I wish there was someone with Ethics and Common Sense in Washington.

Prince Valiant
08-05-2009, 02:35 PM
As an economic gambit, cash for clunkers is a failure...much of the rush to buy cars were simply people holding off purchases to wait for enactment of the program, or those who may be moving a purchase forward.

These "clunkers" should really be called "servicable assets", meaning, there is still good use to someone in it...by overpaying for these assets, then turning around and destroying them, you end up with a net loss of wealth.

It was pointed out that "people w/ 94 explorers can't afford a high payment", however, Edmonds.com shows that any given month, dealers nationwide process 60,000-70,000 "clunker like deals" as they call it. I know plenty of people who simple "drive their cars to the ground", and yes, these would be people who can afford new cars quite easily. fwiw, our busiest doctor when I worked at Blount ('07) still drove a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee daily. His PA daily drives a 98 Astro conversion van w/ almost 200,000 miles to this day...

To say that it doesn't really affect people that these cars are no longer on the road is bunk too...guys like myself are always looking for that good deal, winter beater. I'm told we can't afford to put gas in them, but that's not true...even when gas was 4+, plenty of people of less than impressive means kept these things and vehicles like them on the road.

All it did was create a spike in buying....taking sales from may/june/early july, and sales from october/nov/december/and on to next year and condensing them into an abbreviated period in between does not make for stimulus.

This is why many of the supporters of the program has downplayed any economic claims, and instead have turned to the enviromental benefits of the program...which are even on shakier grounds than economic claims.

SSLEVO
08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
There was a Buick Roadmaster at 5 corners with an LT1 Vette Engine traded in as a clunker.

I hate it when people say that, it has a lt1 engine, but it has crap iron heads and a smaller camshaft, its not a "vette engine." Get your facts straight, LOL Sorry, that bothers me when people say that, if you can't tell.:goof

Karps TA
08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
It was pointed out that "people w/ 94 explorers can't afford a high payment", however, Edmonds.com shows that any given month, dealers nationwide process 60,000-70,000 "clunker like deals" as they call it. I know plenty of people who simple "drive their cars to the ground", and yes, these would be people who can afford new cars quite easily. fwiw, our busiest doctor when I worked at Blount ('07) still drove a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee daily. His PA daily drives a 98 Astro conversion van w/ almost 200,000 miles to this day...

IF the top 10 cars purchased due to the program was not the low end car for every mfg I would say you have a point. But they were. Which means the people who took advantage of this program were people wanting a new car as cheap as possible. This program was great for those people and it was those people this program was directed at. It wasn't so some rich doctor can trade in his 15 year old beater truck for a Lexus. And Ford probably made a couple million Explorers in the 90's I'm sure there will be plenty of beater trucks around. I see plenty of shitboxes on the road everyday. They didn't all get traded in.

And yes this did steal sales from the future, but was that future 6 months or 2 years from now? 250,000 cars sold off of dealer lots that haven't been moving at all is a great thing. Cause now that inventory needs to be replaced. Which means people working to build cars as well as dealers/mfgs getting some of their inventory back under control. Not too mention that for for $4500 spent on getting a customer to buy a car it brought in say $10K in sales as well as much needed sales tax money into the coffers of the States who desperately need money.

IMO this is the first stimulus package that did a damn thing. People actually used the money and put it back into the economy. I wonder if Reagan came up with this plan if many of you guys wouldn't think it was the greatest plan ever? I agree with very little the govt does, but for once I think this actually did some good.

CannotPost
08-05-2009, 03:10 PM
0-60 times and 1/4 mile:

1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited 6.7 15.0

1994 Ford Mustang GT 6.7 15.1

I hate it when people say that, it has a lt1 engine, but it has crap iron heads and a smaller camshaft, its not a "vette engine." Get your facts straight, LOL Sorry, that bothers me when people say that, if you can't tell.:goof

Still not bad in 1995! Faster than a Mustang GT :rolf:rolf:rolf

awsomeears
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Bush pissed off everyone in other countries now Obama is putting it up our ass's

x2

70 cutlass 442
08-05-2009, 10:26 PM
People's retirement accounts are much healthier these past few weeks. Look at what Ford (F) did in the past 2 weeks between reorganizing debt so they didn't appear to loose money (posted a "profit") and having a great sales month.

I realize I'm going against the grain on this one - but I'm more of a big picture and silver lining guy.

Im going to strongly disagree with your logic

First, Yes, i have been watching some of the auto makers on the market and over the past couple weeks they are up.... But when this program expires, how do you think thoes companies will be doing then????

Second, with all of these people buying cars, and the job market still not seeing any improvement, what happens when these new car owners loose their job and cant make a payment. The cycle will just start over again.

This is clearly an attempt to fix a long term problem with a temporary bandaid. AND waht if this does stimulate the economy for a while? where are the billions of dollars that were spent on this program goign to come from??

I'm not crying cause a bunch of 90's blazers and explorers are off the road and their owners are now driving cars getting way better gas mileage. The more people who do that, the more I'll get to keep driving whatever I want.

And for the "poor" people who could use a car, what would any of those cars do for them when they can't afford the gas to fill them up every month? Not too mention the constant repairs many of those cars need.

Not a single tear shedded here. Those ain't classics.

So these new cars they are buying dont require gas? yes they may be more efficiant, but how efficiant does a car have to be to off set a new car payment. Same goes for repairs, many of these vehicles are very easy/ inexpensive to maintain, if you have $300 a month new car payment, thats $3600 a year, do you think many of thoes cars require $3600 a year to maintain?

SmokinRAM114
08-05-2009, 10:40 PM
personally the whole "green" thing is what is making the automobile industry go belly up. the "people" not having the money to buy new cars. Then the ****** incharge of this country wants stronger emissions but the auto industry realized they dont have the billions of dollars to further R&D.

jon_we4
08-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Im going to strongly disagree with your logic

First, Yes, i have been watching some of the auto makers on the market and over the past couple weeks they are up.... But when this program expires, how do you think thoes companies will be doing then????

Second, with all of these people buying cars, and the job market still not seeing any improvement, what happens when these new car owners loose their job and cant make a payment. The cycle will just start over again.

This is clearly an attempt to fix a long term problem with a temporary bandaid. AND waht if this does stimulate the economy for a while? where are the billions of dollars that were spent on this program goign to come from??

I don't even view it as a fix, but I view it as something that tries to get the ball rolling. And right now there is just nothing that has done that yet. This problem had no real fix ever and it needed more of a psychological benefit (consumer confidence).

If the banks get into the same rut as before then they deserve to go under. They should have learned that they need to lend responsibly. And the public really realized they ran up too much debt and had to save more as a part of sound financial planning.

People working and buying things is the way to keep this running. No jobs means no income tax, no new purchases means no sales tax.... lower home values mean less property tax. So raise taxes and piss people off more -or- get people working and buying. Granted they'll raise taxes anyways.

subliminal1284
08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
This was a complete waste, This is a classic example of treating the symptom only and not the root of the problem. You can waste all the money you want trying to stimulate the economy and its not going to do any good. They need to get good jobs back in the US and they can do that by taxing the living piss out of any American company that chooses to manufacture products overseas therefore not making it profitable for them to ship jobs overseas.

Rocket Power
08-06-2009, 10:25 AM
How about they just give EVERYONE a $4500 tax exemption? That would put the $4500 into everyone's pocket and stimulate the total U.S. economy.

Because that would be good for everyone. ANd wouldn't fit into their agenda of getting rid of those terrible gas guzzlers:rolleyes:

How could anyone live with themselves when they drive something that gets less than 20mpg?:rolleyes:

-stew-
08-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Tuesday nights ABC World News did a story about what happens to the cars after the dealer takes them in. It was two minutes of some talking head in front of a scrap yard with shots of cars in dumpsters, and car getting towed away from dealers. One car that they showed getting towed and waiting to get shredded was an 1986 Mustang GT. It was CLEAN. Not "clean" as in good shape, but clean as in not dirty, recently washed, and possibly waxed. It was black, and very shiny. With after market wheels. It was a nice example of a car that I'm very fond of. I fukkin raged!

Now that guy who has $2000 and a need to connect with his son, now has one less opportunity to. Thanks Massa Obama.

2006wrxtr
08-06-2009, 04:31 PM
So I can't afford to buy a new car but my tax dollars help people buy new cars that could probably afford them without the rebates. What a crock of crap!

70 cutlass 442
08-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't even view it as a fix, but I view it as something that tries to get the ball rolling. And right now there is just nothing that has done that yet. This problem had no real fix ever and it needed more of a psychological benefit (consumer confidence).

If the banks get into the same rut as before then they deserve to go under. They should have learned that they need to lend responsibly. And the public really realized they ran up too much debt and had to save more as a part of sound financial planning.

People working and buying things is the way to keep this running. No jobs means no income tax, no new purchases means no sales tax.... lower home values mean less property tax. So raise taxes and piss people off more -or- get people working and buying. Granted they'll raise taxes anyways.

The sad part is most of the Obama administration thinks the same way as you do, and i turn this will come back to bite every single person in America in the ASS.

Great, another bank goes under, as history has shown, who will bail them out?? the Government, where does the government get that money? the tax payers.... so in turn, lets raise taxes...

How can you honetsly justify this kind of spending? This is doing nothing but putting this country more into debt, the defecit is already increasing at an alarming rate. If you go back into history, maybe only 10-15 years ago, youll notice that the defecit was nothing compared to what it is today.... and at that same point in time the economy was booming. So its absolutely ubsurd to beleive the economy will benefit by pushing this nation more into debt. It just doesnt work that way.

WhatsADSM
08-06-2009, 05:55 PM
How can you honetsly justify this kind of spending? This is doing nothing but putting this country more into debt, the defecit is already increasing at an alarming rate. If you go back into history, maybe only 10-15 years ago, youll notice that the defecit was nothing compared to what it is today.... and at that same point in time the economy was booming. So its absolutely ubsurd to beleive the economy will benefit by pushing this nation more into debt. It just doesnt work that way.

It is a very well known form of economics: Keynesian economics

Much of the same was done to bring us out of the great depression. Although a war (which fits in very well with Keynesian economics) was also responsible for much of what helped bring us out.

So yea whether you understand it or don't understand it, or "believe" in it or not... it IS a well known form of economics. It's not like the Obama administration is just saying "ahh WTF lets spend a shit ton of money for the fun of it." It is based on a theories and practice by those who study it.

As for my personal opinion, I think it actually will work and help bring us out. However the inflation that will come after will be pretty severe, and I worry my wage will not keep up. So in the end I think peoples cost of living will probably increase :(, but likely we will get a lot of our jobs back. Which I guess makes sense for America in the growing global economy.

70 cutlass 442
08-06-2009, 06:21 PM
/\/\ after the depression, they didnt implement a socialistic health care program which cost astronomical ammounts of money. Looking at the administrations "game plan" as a whole, leads me to beleive that the current CFC program is just the start of more frivilous spending that will further push this country into debt. And thoes that do have jobs will be taxed out the ass because of it.

indyzmike
08-08-2009, 04:40 AM
This clunker program is not perfect and has been proven to have many flaws. We can bitch and moan all we want about it while the Administration is trying to pass the most important bill of our lives, young or old. Government run healthcare is at our doorstep. It will also be a program that is not perfect will be proven to have many flaws.

I certainly do not want the "GREEN" party instituting healthcare. People pollute, plain and simple. Less people, less pollution. With a hidden agenda behind their wants, they are not to be trusted. Look at all those usefull clunkers headded off the crusher. Next, it will be humans being written off and "junked".

This view may seem steep, but so is the current administrations actions so far.