PDA

View Full Version : broken input shaft #2

1siksrt
08-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I was down in ohio at realtune performance getting a new HTA delta series turbo from agp. Last dyno pull the damn stock input shaft took a shit again. Car def. has the power to be well into the tens IMO...Dont know how long this will set the car back or what will happen at this point.

Prince Valiant
08-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Why didn't you go for the aftermarket billet shaft? I mean, we KNOW you have the power to snap the stock ones dude!

Bite the bullet, get the billet, and (and I hate to say this) wait to find out the next weakest link is in the chain :headbang

HY35F2T
08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/productimages/as_seen_on_tv_guys_1/mighty-mendit.jpg

sloLs1
08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
^^^ :rolf

domokun
08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Im with prince....you have the motor, now you need the trans to back it up. beef it!

1siksrt
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Why didn't you go for the aftermarket billet shaft? I mean, we KNOW you have the power to snap the stock ones dude!

Bite the bullet, get the billet, and (and I hate to say this) wait to find out the next weakest link is in the chain :headbang

Na, the rest of the trans is pretty stout besides the 3/4 shift fork... Ya its just alot of money and i allready have a ton of money into it this year. I dunno we will see what happens

lilws6
08-05-2009, 11:14 AM
At least you got a DD to drive in the mean time

SSLEVO
08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
More power pluss a stock part that allready broke :confused

1siksrt
08-05-2009, 01:51 PM
just talked with Aaron the owner of realtune and what we are gonna do is switch clutches to something less agressive that is not overkill.. then the stock input will take the abuse and its been proven... So twin disk no more :) car should be back up in 3-4 weeks ish

SSLEVO
08-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't want to be an ass but that just sounds like a band-aid fix. I know cash is tight but the old saying "do it right the first time" seems to apply here. I didn't want to drop the cash on a twin disc clutch in my old 95 camaro, i ended up going through 2 clutchs and a flywheel in 2 years. Turns out it would have been cheaper to go with the twin disc and would have saved me the time of doing another clutch job. Just my $.02

1siksrt
08-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't want to be an ass but that just sounds like a band-aid fix. I know cash is tight but the old saying "do it right the first time" seems to apply here. I didn't want to drop the cash on a twin disc clutch in my old 95 camaro, i ended up going through 2 clutchs and a flywheel in 2 years. Turns out it would have been cheaper to go with the twin disc and would have saved me the time of doing another clutch job. Just my $.02

A Realtune car ran on this same clutch over 150 ten second passes with a STOCK Input shaft so im not worried. Realtune specializes in neons and are the best in the industry. 3 street 10 second cars, and a 9 second automatic car. They have 3 more about to run tens including mine, and possibly a 9 second 5 speed by the end of the year.. current best of 10.08@150mph (traction issues being worked out) So all in all I trust what they have to say about it. The TWIN DISK IS way to aggresive on the stock input and is DEF. the reason for failure.

SSLEVO
08-05-2009, 03:18 PM
A Realtune car ran on this same clutch over 150 ten second passes with a STOCK Input shaft so im not worried. Realtune specializes in neons and are the best in the industry. 3 street 10 second cars, and a 9 second automatic car. They have 3 more about to run tens including mine, and possibly a 9 second 5 speed by the end of the year.. current best of 10.08@150mph (traction issues being worked out) So all in all I trust what they have to say about it. The TWIN DISK IS way to aggresive on the stock input and is DEF. the reason for failure.

I see, i guess if the single disc will hold. It will be much easier on the input shaft, there is no doubt there.

WhatsADSM
08-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”. :)

BAD LS1
08-05-2009, 04:03 PM
The actual reason of failure is too much power through stock parts just like everyone prior said and a twin disc just makes it happen sooner. A soft-lock clutch sounds kinda band aid-ish to me but if it works, then it works. Kinda like guys pouring money into 10 bolts on f-body's, its replacement with something better is the tax required to keep moving forward. Props for sticking with the car and getting it to where it is, but to me this like where guys spend all their money on the motor and cant afford a good tuner and wonder why they never are as fast as the next guy.

fly5150
08-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Yea when I had the twin disc in my SRT it snapped the input shaft. The stock input shaft is not strong enough for the power and shock of the clutch. I went through 2 input shafts, and 5 axles before I sold the car.

eltness350
08-05-2009, 09:17 PM
im with most of these guys on this one, keep the overkill clutch and get the billet input shaft, even if it puts u out of the game till next summer imo....

Russ Jerome
08-05-2009, 09:25 PM
There are 8 and 9 second FWD turbo dodges running old 404/413 stock input shafts that are simply cryotreated. The input shaft on the 555 manual and the 413 auto are nearly identicle to yours (hell we have put Quafes like the SRT4 uses in our old tranies already). Read up on cryotreating before dismissing it as a fad, its for real.

Russ Jerome
08-05-2009, 09:28 PM
8.1 at 190 mph:
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:vZ-iGjWCqOqD7M:http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/579/0141.jpg
Used fancy billet inputs until they failed, had been running a stock cryotreated input for 2years last I heard. car is so fast the factory guys got him kicked out for his home made parts.

1siksrt
08-06-2009, 01:55 AM
8.1 at 190 mph:
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:vZ-iGjWCqOqD7M:http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/579/0141.jpg
Used fancy billet inputs until they failed, had been running a stock cryotreated input for 2years last I heard. car is so fast the factory guys got him kicked out for his home made parts.

good info russ, Ya im just trying to get the car running and staying together til winter, then the whole trans will be built, but i dont have that kind of cash right now...