PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Envoy Denali vs. 1999 Civic Si.... who'd win the race?

Brian98GTP
08-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Tasha came home from work today saying that one of the new interns there wouldn't shut up about how fast his 'new' car was. She asked what it was, and he said it was a stock '99 Civic Si, 5spd.
She says...."Oh, the one with the big shopping cart handle spoiler on it?" :rolf
He says yeah, and that it would WAX her Envoy.

Now I don't know where Tasha got this info from, but for some reason she was under the impression that her Envoy was supercharged, LOL. I don't know if I should take that as an opportunity TO supercharge it, or what? :shades
She knew it was a 5.3L V8 with 300hp/330tq, so I'm proud of her for knowing that.... but she ended up telling this kid that there was no way that car of his would beat her Envoy. The Envoy is 100% stock, and will even have the Recaro baby seat in it. :headbang
I'd have to guess that it would be neck and neck. What do you folks think?
She knows to take the traction control off, and she knows to brake torque it and launch it.... and from there, its just pushing the pedal to the floor.
If anything, I'd say the Envoy would get a pretty good jump on the civic, with him running it down before the end of the race.

I'll see if I can set it up. If need be, I'll have Tommy throw a tune in it. :thumbsup

So... thoughts?

Prince Valiant
08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm guessing it'll be close...but I'll give the edge to the Si. The Si from what I can recall should be ~ the high 15's...which is what I'd guess a well driven Denali w/ 5.3 should be.

I would certainly make it an imperative that she practices...preferably at the track. Teach her to stage consistently so that you can consistently compare 60ft times, because that will be pretty much the only thing she can really improve upon or screw up.

I'd think a big thing would be does brake torquing really help, or could it hurt her 60ft time. You never know how the ecm will react to limit the torque to protect the car...I know my bud's hemi ram was a dog with virtually any decent brake torquing; it reacted best by simply slamming it down while lifting off the brake. Of course, Tom can eliminate that feature too iirc....

Practice various launch rpms and techniques, see what works best, and then surprise the kid...because equally fast cars, the one with more experience at the track seeing what works should easily win.

Plus, you'll get good idea what the 1/4 should be, and you and the kid can cheer on mom, lol. Great family night out...

jbiscuit
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I'd have to give it to the Civic Si...those cars are decently quick even stock.

BAD LS1
08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
The civic, my colorado with an I5 could edge out crawlin's 5.3 rainer on a free way roll and it would get me from a dig by half a car. They probably run high 15's bone stock, those SI will get into the low 15's IIRC.

xFullThrottlex
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I'd have to go with the civic si winning the race but losing in life if he's looking to drag a woman who drives an envoy. Tell her to borrow your camaro, and the si boy won't be talking about how fast his car is anymore.

lilws6
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
i'll lend my mad driving skills for this race if need be. And remember you gata get them to do best out of 3 pinks style