PDA

View Full Version : Frame Park Show - Waukesha 08/09/09

Doc Brown
08-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Located along the Fox River in scenic Frame Park near downtown Waukesha, this show tends to be epic every single year in the turnout of cars there; their flier states a limit of 450, but more seem to end up in overflow lots. I can never seem to figure out when to get there in order to get a decent spot, because as soon as the park opens and they begin letting people in, all the good spots seem to already be full, instantly, like cars park there overnight for their spots or something even though their flier states otherwise. I just don't know. Anyone going? Here's the details...

Date: August 9, 2009
Time: 8am-3:30pm
Place: Frame Park, Waukesha
Fee: Typical $10/car day-of-show registration fee, less if pre-registered.

Classes
A. Antique-thru 1954(cars & trucks)
B. 1955-1962 (cars only)
C. 1963-1967 (cars only)
D. 1968-1970 (cars only)
E. 1965-1969 Non-full size cars(ie. Chevelle,Nova,Mustang,Duster,etc.)
F. 1971-1979 (cars only)
G. 1980-up (cars only)
H. Street Rods - thru 1935
I. Street Rods - 1936-1948
J. Street/Modified
K. Custom
L. Up to 1983 Corvette TBirds & 2-Seat Sport Cars
M. 1984-2006 Corvette TBirds & 2-Seat Sport Cars
O. Trucks & Vans (all years)

JBs92Lude
08-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I go every year. There is always a bunch of cars that show up, and its a nice walk around the river there as well. Good show.

xFullThrottlex
08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
This one's always a winner, i'll be there for sure

Doc Brown
08-08-2009, 12:44 PM
*bump*

This show is tomorrow. I'm thinking about going extra early because they definitely won't let a bunch of cars in early again this year [/sarcasm]

Yeehaw
08-08-2009, 01:12 PM
should be there at about 8, gotta work 10-2 soo i wont get to show

RanJer
08-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I'll take the Yota for ya ;)

xFullThrottlex
08-09-2009, 12:55 PM
awesome show, only stayed about an hour and a half though.. forgot my wallet and needed to get some water because it was HOT

GRAMPS SS
08-09-2009, 05:42 PM
was there as well...some very nice cars were in attendance...seemed alot smaller then last time i was thee...the ball field was used last time..this year...lets say it was a comfy show for better use of wording....but a great show none the less...

lordairgtar
08-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I did not go, I have problems in the humidity and heat because of the meds I take. Whenever I push the limit, I feel it the next couple of days.

Doc Brown
08-09-2009, 09:22 PM
It was a very good show as predicted. Nice park setting, lots of cars. I ended up parking in a really nice spot for once right at the bottom of the outdoor amphitheater stairs. There was even plenty of room to set up the tent. It was actually pretty cool until about 11 or noon with a decent breeze, not the mid-90s with 100% humidity as predicted. Although, that came later just before the rain clouds. They ended up having the awards early at 2:30 due to the threat of bad weather.

< begin rant >
Unfortunately, while I'm not one to normally gripe about petty things like awards, I finally have to call "Shenanigans!" This is supposedly a participant judged show, yet for at least the 3rd year in a row the same two guys with modest to decent looking Buick Grand Nationals took the crowded "1980 & up" category. This year was different, however, in that several other GNs showed up, a couple in better condition than theirs, not to mention a very large amount of other varied superior competition in that class. Yet somehow these two vehicles managed to stand heads-and-shoulders above their competition once again, defying the laws of statistical probability by claiming the only two top spots in that class again this year.

So I figure one of 3 scenarios is possible. 1) they really are defying the statistical odds and the majority of participants just can't get enough of these two cars in particular every single year; 2) they know certain people in the club counting the ballots and the fix is in; 3) there is some sort of block voting going on wherein these two kids have a bunch of their friends, parents' friends, fellow car club members, whatever, etc. all vote for them in very large numbers regardless of if better competition is there or not.

Like I said, I shouldn't let stupid things like this get to me because I run the risk of sounding petty, but I just can't stand by and not call foul on this one, because to me it is pretty blatant and classless. And it's also a shame that some sort of funny business is going on in the first place. I also found it interesting just how quickly the top show organizers became defensive about the issue when I confronted them about it directly, insisting that I needed to realize that it was participant judging only. While that may be true, I also realize that Waukesha Old Car Club who is putting on the show is an enormous club with many members with cars in the show, thus making those members participants as well. Certainly my 3rd possible scenario would be supported by this if they were to, say, vote in large blocks for certain people, thus allowing those people to win in multiple years. Is this a conspiracy theory? Yes. But is it possible? Oh, I sure think so. And it would definitely explain their abrupt defensiveness on the subject when asked about it.

Next year I plan on changing classes, but I find it hard to believe that this "phenomenon" is limited to just a single class. I really do like this show due to it's relaxing setting in the park and high varied turnout each year, but if I get the feeling that it is a show-wide pandemic, maybe I'll save myself the trouble and money and just stay home.
< end rant>

Car Guy
08-09-2009, 09:40 PM
This is supposedly a participant judged show

You could have stopped here......;)

Unless you are attending a regional/national show with professional judges don't worry about a stupid trophy or award, just enjoy yourself and leave it at that.....:)

JBs92Lude
08-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Jer and I went there. Was a good show and yes it was much smaller than I remember, but still a good turnout. Pretty sure I saw Doc Brown's car, and other nice cars as well. We didn't stay long as well due to the heat, but as always it was a good show. Will post pictures in the next couple days.

Doc Brown
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
You could have stopped here......;)

Unless you are attending a regional/national show with professional judges don't worry about a stupid trophy or award, just enjoy yourself and leave it at that.....:)I do. This is the one show I look forward to more than any other during the year just because it is so nice. Like i said, I don't put much stock into judged events and trophies (once an official judge gave me a 6/10 for quality of paint on my bare metal car :D), but this just ate at me for some reason, probably because it is so obvious yet it just keeps reoccurring year after year. Meh, whatever, it was still a good time. :shades

u_say_go
08-09-2009, 11:00 PM
It was a very good show as predicted. Nice park setting, lots of cars. I ended up parking in a really nice spot for once right at the bottom of the outdoor amphitheater stairs. There was even plenty of room to set up the tent. It was actually pretty cool until about 11 or noon with a decent breeze, not the mid-90s with 100% humidity as predicted. Although, that came later just before the rain clouds. They ended up having the awards early at 2:30 due to the threat of bad weather.

< begin rant >
Unfortunately, while I'm not one to normally gripe about petty things like awards, I finally have to call "Shenanigans!" This is supposedly a participant judged show, yet for at least the 3rd year in a row the same two guys with modest to decent looking Buick Grand Nationals took the crowded "1980 & up" category. This year was different, however, in that several other GNs showed up, a couple in better condition than theirs, not to mention a very large amount of other varied superior competition in that class. Yet somehow these two vehicles managed to stand heads-and-shoulders above their competition once again, defying the laws of statistical probability by claiming the only two top spots in that class again this year.

So I figure one of 3 scenarios is possible. 1) they really are defying the statistical odds and the majority of participants just can't get enough of these two cars in particular every single year; 2) they know certain people in the club counting the ballots and the fix is in; 3) there is some sort of block voting going on wherein these two kids have a bunch of their friends, parents' friends, fellow car club members, whatever, etc. all vote for them in very large numbers regardless of if better competition is there or not.

Like I said, I shouldn't let stupid things like this get to me because I run the risk of sounding petty, but I just can't stand by and not call foul on this one, because to me it is pretty blatant and classless. And it's also a shame that some sort of funny business is going on in the first place. I also found it interesting just how quickly the top show organizers became defensive about the issue when I confronted them about it directly, insisting that I needed to realize that it was participant judging only. While that may be true, I also realize that Waukesha Old Car Club who is putting on the show is an enormous club with many members with cars in the show, thus making those members participants as well. Certainly my 3rd possible scenario would be supported by this if they were to, say, vote in large blocks for certain people, thus allowing those people to win in multiple years. Is this a conspiracy theory? Yes. But is it possible? Oh, I sure think so. And it would definitely explain their abrupt defensiveness on the subject when asked about it.

Next year I plan on changing classes, but I find it hard to believe that this "phenomenon" is limited to just a single class. I really do like this show due to it's relaxing setting in the park and high varied turnout each year, but if I get the feeling that it is a show-wide pandemic, maybe I'll save myself the trouble and money and just stay home.
< end rant>

home cookin' at it's finest.

pOrk
08-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Trophy hunting takes the fun out of car shows.

Guess what, a chopped 49 merc is way fuckin cooler then a GN. But the GN will win because its " original ". Original is gay, and so is trophy hunting :)

u_say_go
08-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Trophy hunting takes the fun out of car shows.

Guess what, a chopped 49 merc is way fuckin cooler then a GN. But the GN will win because its " original ". Original is gay, and so is trophy hunting :)

word

Troutman
08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
I do. This is the one show I look forward to more than any other during the year just because it is so nice. Like i said, I don't put much stock into judged events and trophies (once an official judge gave me a 6/10 for quality of paint on my bare metal car :D), but this just ate at me for some reason, probably because it is so obvious yet it just keeps reoccurring year after year. Meh, whatever, it was still a good time. :shades

i can understand...i dont go to shows to win...(most shows dont have a foreign class anyways) but it does get annoying when cars win because of friend voting. ive seen some very nice cars get beat by total garbage.

i lost in an import class to an 2000 honda accord, that was pretty much $20 dollars away from being stock..... i managed to come in 3rd though:thumbsup

to be honest, i dont really care to go to a show anymore. only went to 2 this year, and both were reasons not to go to another one.