PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in here good using Adobe Premiere?

Nickerz
04-11-2004, 02:30 PM
I am certainly not the type of person to give up on learning software. But hot damn... this program is just got me stumped. Does anyone in here consider themselves a Premiere Master?

SMS 1
04-11-2004, 02:49 PM
There does seem to be a bit of a learning curve with Premiere. Personally I use Vegas 4 for most of my editing work simply because of it's user friendliness. Do yourself a favor and try to find the manual for Premiere and then have it printed so you can reference it often after you give it a good reading. Once you get through the basics of the interface you should be able to move around in it pretty good and "learn as you go".

95 TA - The Beast
04-11-2004, 03:07 PM
The Adobe suite of applications have always been a 'learn our tool our way' type of toolset... They charge big $$$ for training systems and have thier own methodology that quite frankly is more Adobe than any kind of industry standard... Thus the learning curve without the proper learning tools is steep...

You may want to look at the Pinnacle series of products, most directly, Studio for non-production work (produces awesome DVDs/SVCDs) and Liquid Edition for production level work (excellent application, competitor to Premiere and Video Vegas)... Both products can share production tools (such as Hollywood FX for titling/fades/wipes/effects) and have a host of features built-in that require massive add-ons to most other products...

I have used Premiere pro 7.0, Video Vegas 4.0, Studio 9.0 (8.0 and previous version sucked for bugs), Liquid Edition v5.5, and have on hand (but have not used) Cyberlink Power Director v3, Power Producer v2, Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004...

There is also a host of video capture software (including PVR, ie Tivo type apps) and video conversion packages that make productions much easier (such as Canopus Procoder for transcoding video formats)...

I got into things to convert home videos into SVCDs for posterity and to share with family and it kinda snowballed into playing around with DVD video rendering and production...

If you really want to learn Premiere I can see what I can dig up in regards to training materials... But again the Pinnacle Suite is quite intuitive depending on the technical level you are trying to achieve (as Studio is completely a no-brainer, and Liquid Edition has tons of options/features and tools to tweak)...

Dennis

Nickerz
04-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by 95 TA - The Beast
The Adobe suite of applications have always been a 'learn our tool our way' type of toolset... They charge big $$$ for training systems and have thier own methodology that quite frankly is more Adobe than any kind of industry standard... Thus the learning curve without the proper learning tools is steep...

You may want to look at the Pinnacle series of products, most directly, Studio for non-production work (produces awesome DVDs/SVCDs) and Liquid Edition for production level work (excellent application, competitor to Premiere and Video Vegas)... Both products can share production tools (such as Hollywood FX for titling/fades/wipes/effects) and have a host of features built-in that require massive add-ons to most other products...

I have used Premiere pro 7.0, Video Vegas 4.0, Studio 9.0 (8.0 and previous version sucked for bugs), Liquid Edition v5.5, and have on hand (but have not used) Cyberlink Power Director v3, Power Producer v2, Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004...

There is also a host of video capture software (including PVR, ie Tivo type apps) and video conversion packages that make productions much easier (such as Canopus Procoder for transcoding video formats)...

I got into things to convert home videos into SVCDs for posterity and to share with family and it kinda snowballed into playing around with DVD video rendering and production...

If you really want to learn Premiere I can see what I can dig up in regards to training materials... But again the Pinnacle Suite is quite intuitive depending on the technical level you are trying to achieve (as Studio is completely a no-brainer, and Liquid Edition has tons of options/features and tools to tweak)...

Dennis

I always just messed around, but I think im really going to take this seriously. I have several monthes before I need to return to work, and I want to shoot an Fbody wildtimes sort of video. So ive been reading and reading and reading premiere stuff, but it hasnt clicked yet. I chose premiere to learn because of its tight integration with Photoshop CS and After Affects 6.0 I particullarly want to learn it because of its ability to interface with AE6.0. All of them have no problem outputting to dvd as well... Have you popped anything on dvd yet denis? what did you use as authoring for menus and such?

SMS 1
04-11-2004, 03:19 PM
IMO one of the most powerful DVD Authoring systems out there right now is Adobe Encore DVD. Also this would integrate very well with Premiere, AE, and PSD.

Nickerz
04-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by SMS 1
IMO one of the most powerful DVD Authoring systems out there right now is Adobe Encore DVD. Also this would integrate very well with Premiere, AE, and PSD.

I got it... how do you like it? Should I just go adobe all the way? I got about 6 monthes to become fluent in all of these programs. Cause I want to be putting out product in no more than 8 monthes.

SMS 1
04-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Nickerz
I got it... how do you like it? Should I just go adobe all the way? I got about 6 monthes to become fluent in all of these programs. Cause I want to be putting out product in no more than 8 monthes. Thats a pretty tight schedule but suppose it could be done with enough effort. There is something to be said for sticking with one product/series and knowing it well. For my production work I usually stick to Vegas simply to bang things out quickly (as I know this program better than the others) but the Adobe line is very stout in what they offer no doubt. My business partner usually does the menu authoring part of it but since he has become more learned in Encore he doesn't use much else. Are you just doing one "production" product or will you be doing this for your everyday job?

Nickerz
04-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Thats a pretty tight schedule but suppose it could be done with enough effort. There is something to be said for sticking with one product/series and knowing it well. For my production work I usually stick to Vegas simply to bang things out quickly (as I know this program better than the others) but the Adobe line is very stout in what they offer no doubt. My business partner usually does the menu authoring part of it but since he has become more learned in Encore he doesn't use much else. Are you just doing one "production" product or will you be doing this for your everyday job?
Well if things go good, Ill be in business for myself. Ive talked to enough people to think there is a genuine interest in it. Ive always wanted to take a stab in business anyways. Theres no limit on my $ per hour here.

SMS 1
04-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Nickerz
Well if things go good, Ill be in business for myself. Ive talked to enough people to think there is a genuine interest in it. Ive always wanted to take a stab in business anyways. Theres no limit on my $ per hour here. Well the market demand will dictate what you can or can not charge. The biggest thing going right now is straight DUP conversions from VHS, 8MM, VHS-C, BETA ect. to DVD. We have made a ton of money in the last year offering this to people. But as DVD recorders become more popular and more affordable this sector will go away and we will have to move on to something else. It's not a bad time to jump on the wagon for the last surge though.

My biggest piece of advise would be not to make the rookie mistake of falling victim to all of the glitzy trasition effects and such. When you watch TV or movies almost everything are simple hard cuts or nice simple crossfades. Rarely is there a really good use for extensive and complex slide/morph/cutout ect. transitions. Take some time to look at what is being done professionally and then try to emulate that.

scubastang
04-11-2004, 09:56 PM
u guys think Premiere is hard to learn, expensive and complicated.....try using Shake. God damn my buddy has it in Cali and its unreal :eek:

Cryptic
04-11-2004, 10:23 PM
whats all this puter talk on this car board :goof

SMS 1
04-12-2004, 01:36 AM
some of it will be used for video of cars I presume :D

5LiterWes
04-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Nickerz, if you find a manual you need printed out let me know. I can print it off here on the laser printers at work. :flipoff:

95 TA - The Beast
04-13-2004, 11:47 AM
BTW, I found my Adobe Premiere 6.5 Classroom in a book... Pretty much walks through the entire package...

Let me know if you need it...

Excerpt:

About Classroom in a Book
Adobe Premiere 6.5 Classroom in a Book® is part of the official training series for Adobe graphics and publishing software developed by experts at Adobe Systems. The lessons are designed to let you learn at your own pace. If you’re new to Adobe Premiere, you’ll learn the fundamental concepts and features you’ll need to master the program. If you’ve been using Adobe Premiere for awhile, you’ll find that Adobe Premiere 6.5 Classroom in a Book teaches many advanced features, including tips and techniques for using the latest version of Adobe Premiere.

Although each lesson provides step-by-step instructions for creating a specific project, there’s room for exploration and experimentation. You can follow the book from start to finish or do only the lessons that correspond to your interests and needs.

Prerequisites
Before beginning to use Adobe Premiere 6.5 Classroom in a Book
, you should have a working knowledge of your computer and its operating system. Make sure that you know how to use the mouse and standard menus and commands and that you know how to open, save, and close files. If you need to review these techniques, see the printed or online documentation included with your Windows or Macintosh operating system. It is also
helpful, but not necessary, to have experience with Adobe Premiere, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe After Effects.

SMS 1
04-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by 5LiterWes
u r gay
WTF is that about?:rolleyes:

5LiterWes
04-13-2004, 11:05 PM
WTF is that about?:rolleyes:

I been good freinds with the guy in real life for about 7 or 8 years now, :D