PDA

View Full Version : XXX Chrome Plating.... CAUTION!

Troutman
07-31-2009, 12:40 PM
below is the detailed letter i submitted to the BBB on 7/16 regarding the issue i am currently still having with XXX Chrome Plating.

I dropped off 7 automotive parts to be chromed on (5/14) at

XXX Chrome Plating

12855 West Lisbon Avenue
Brookfield, WI 53005

The parts were:

-1 thermostat housing

-1 water inlet

-1 throttle/accelerator rod

-1 rear strut bar

-1 throttle pivot

-1 bracket

-1 hood prop rod

I arrived there around 1pm, and was told the owner would be back in about 10 minutes to take care of the order. After about 45 minutes I left and said to please have the owner call me when they returned. I did not receive a call, so I returned 1.5hrs later and the owner’s wife was there. (Of course they didn’t call, a sign of things to come) I was told that it would take 2 to 3 weeks to get my parts back. That was fine, and I left. I called back 2.5 weeks later to check on my parts (6/2). I spoke with the owner’s wife and they said they had 2 of them, and the rest would be here by the end of the week. (It was odd that they have 2 of the 7, but ok.) I asked her to please call me when the others came in. I didn’t receive a call so I called back on (6/4) spoke again with the owner’s wife and she said they have all my parts…ALL OF THEM. I leave work early the next day (6/5) to go pick them up. I arrive at XXX chroming around 4:45, and they said they can only find 2 of them and that the others are in the back. I asked the owner’s wife if she could please go into the back and get them. She said she didn’t know where exactly they were and that she needed to wait for her husband (the owner: Kevin Mullner) to return. I asked if we could please go in the back and look, I know what my parts look like, so we should be able to find them. She said I wasn’t allowed back there, and if she let me back there then she would have to let everyone back there. (This seemed like she was covering the fact that they didn’t have my parts after she told me on the phone that they did). She then asks me if I can come back later tonight and get them after her husband (Kevin) returns. I said ok, can you please call me when he returns? She says “yes”, I asked if you have my number? She says “yes”. So we talked a couple more minutes and as I’m leaving I again ask if you’ll please call me and that you have my number…again, both “yes”. I cancel my Friday plans, so I can return to XXX and get my parts that evening. A few hours go by, and I have yet to receive a phone call. I call XXX around 8:30 and there is no answer. (Friday night plans ruined, no car running this weekend.) I call Saturday (6/6), and again no answer. I call first thing Monday morning when they open (6/8) at 10:00am, I leave a message. Again I receive no returned phone call. I make another call later in the day, no answer this time, no answering machine. I call back again (6/9) a few times with no answer and finally talk to the owner’s wife late in the day. She says they have all the parts except for one, the throttle rod. (The throttle is required to physically drive the car, it cannot be operated without it) Again, why do they keep having only a few of my parts? I picked the 4 parts up later that evening and was told that the other part would be here in a day or 2. I asked if they would please call me when the part came in, they said yes. Two days go by and I receive no return call. I called back (6/11) numerous times, finally getting someone to answer the phone and was told again by the owner’s wife that she needed to talk to her husband. I asked again if she would please call me back…again no returned phone call. I called repeatedly on Friday (6/12)…no answer, no answering machine. (second weekend of not having the car). I called back on Monday numerous times (6/15) no answer, no answering machine. I call again on Tuesday (6/16) and finally was able to talk to a guy that worked there (AJ). He was actually very helpful, asked me to send pics of the part in question and said he would look for it. He said to please give him a day or 2 and call back. I called back on Thursday (6/18) spoke with AJ and he said he has not had any luck locating the part. I asked him if the owner (Kevin) would be in later this evening… he said yes, I told him I would be up there to speak to him in person. I arrive at XXX around 5 o’clock and had to stand around waiting for 45 minutes. I was finally able to talk to the owner Kevin a little before 6pm. He is super apologetic, said he only heard about this the other day and had everyone looking for it. He finally admits that they lost it, and asks where he could get another one to replace it. I had been hunting one down the entire week (figuring they lost it) and found a company in Washington (Z Specialties Inc.) that has them. Kevin asked for the company’s number and said he would take care of ordering the replacement part and express shipping it. I said ok. I called Z Specialties and informed him that Kevin from xxx chroming would be contacting them on Friday (6/19) regarding ordering this part. I told them the reasoning for this and they were more than willing to help out. I heard no word from xxx chroming on Friday so I called the owner Kevin back on Monday (6/22). Kevin said he left a message with Z Specialties and was waiting to hear back. Kevin said he called my cell phone and left a message informing me of this (there was no message and no missed calls from him or XXX chroming) I called Z Specialties (6/22) and asked if they in fact got a call from XXX. They said yes, but were busy, and would be contacting XXX later in the day. I relayed this info to the owner Kevin of XXX via text message, and he replied saying he received it and would be waiting for their call. A couple days went by and I didn’t hear anything, until I received a call from Z Specialties (6/24) They said they tried contacting XXX, but they (XXX) haven’t gotten back to them regarding payment/shipping of the part. Z Specialties knew my situation, and knew I was very eager to get my car going, so they asked me what I wanted to do. (Which was very nice on their part) I said please send it to my work address 2nd day air, and I would cover the costs. I received the part around noon on (6/26). I went home, got the car running and enjoyed it that weekend. I sent an email to XXX on (6/30) with an attached jpeg image of the actual invoice from Z Specialties for the part which they were suppose to take care of paying for and ordering. I asked them to please refund the money owed to me ($61.86) which is (46.86 = cost of the replacement rod +shipping) and ($15.00 = cost of the pre-paid chroming for the rod they lost) via PayPal. (They have a PayPal account because that’s how I had to pay for the chroming.) i also notified the owner Kevin by text message that i sent this email...he replied to this text message asking which email address and that he would check it out.Needless to say, they did not refund my money to me as of (7/6). I then sent a PayPal request to XXX’s account on (7/7) I got a text message from the owner at 7:12 that evening stating (word for word) “I got your request. I will get it taken care of as soon as I get a chance to get on PayPal”. Today is (7/16); I still do not have my refund. I tried filing an issue with PayPal, however it seems a transaction needs to go through before a dispute can be filed. You cannot file a claim about an unpaid money request.

Today is 7/31 and XXX has yet to repspond to the BBB. They have also had 3other complaints filed against them (at their old address) over the past 36 months. 2 of the complaints werent responded to by XXX and the other went unresolved. The complaint i filed is the 4th.

I STRONGLY CAUTION you about doing business with this company. i'm not going to slander them, but i will ask you to please consider the above information before dealing with them.

Please feel free to pass this on to others

xFullThrottlex
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
yikes!, good luck man!

07ROUSHSTG3
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
wow. good luck and keep everyone posted.

SSLEVO
07-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Its only $60 man, cut your losses with those d-bags and move on. I know it is hard to do but why waste any more of your time, it will just get you worked up more.

Also, please use paragraphs, lol.

Exitspeed
07-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Fuck...N...A...that is annoying.

Good luck.

Troutman
07-31-2009, 03:10 PM
im not so much concerned about getting my money back, but rather cautioning others regarding this business. (i honestly dont expect to get my money refunded.) The BBB filing was made to hopefully get some action taken against them, and their past issues that have gone unresolved. I wouldnt want someone else on here to have to go through the same thing.

i apologize for the long (non-cliff noted) post. i just copied it directly from the letter i sent in.

Nix
07-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Its only $60 man, cut your losses with those d-bags and move on. I know it is hard to do but why waste any more of your time, it will just get you worked up more.

Also, please use paragraphs, lol.

Its only $60? Only, huh? Sorry to be the one to inform you but $60 to many people is a lot of money, espically when it is being used for their hobby. Atleast it is to me, $60 is a lot of money.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, you can't let shit like this go either, obviously they do this on a regular basis and thus far only 4 people (yourself included) have had the balls to speak up.

I can only imagine how many other people "cut their losses" thus opening up the door for them to do it again to another customer. It seems like this is normal business practice to XXX Chrome Plating.

Good luck man, and keep us posted.

jbiscuit
07-31-2009, 03:37 PM
its sad but plating in the area is basically non-existant. Basically only shoddy shops around that even deal with plating anymore. Real shame. If you wanted to sit on a gold mine, open a plating business and cater to the restoration buffs in the area. Hand out fliers, offer exceptional customer service and great quality at above average prices and you would make a killing. I can't tell you how many people I have talked to that have shipped parts to Tennessee to be plated or Philly.

DR.FORD
07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
I know for a fact that most stuff around here is sent to Chicago, then brought back and polished. I have dealt with them all, and most just suck-either quality or business practice! Also why shit gets lost.
The problem with chrome plating is disposing of the highly caustic acids left over. Southwest Metal Finishing does most of Harleys factory stuff, and Jack Strunsee the owner is a great guy. He does not cater to the public, because unfortunately the cost to actually do really nice stuff is above and beyond what most car enthusiasts around here will pay-or they bring junk and expect a miracle for cheap!! I didn't say everyone-there are people willing to pay, but around here is not a "get rich chrome plating" place.
I feel bad for you dude, I had a similar experience with them, when they were under a different name. Nail 'em to the cross, because only the wheels that squeek get greased:headbang

SSDude
07-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Sorry to hear you got taken by these guys and thanks for the heads up

When I checked them out to get a couple of my car parts re-plated I was told they did most of their plating in house. When I got to the place "buried in the back of the building" it looked like total chaos. Didn't see anything resembling plating equipment around their shop. By the looks of the place I didn't get the feeling they were to good with service and delivery.

84hurst
07-31-2009, 11:51 PM
I feel your pain man, I dealt with similar shit with Borchardts and with J&R transmissions on 6th. I reported both to the BBB but didn't get kinda monetary return. Just keep bad mouthing the company (like I did) at car shows, etc., and that will go MUCH farther. You are better off talking to several different people turning them away from a shitty company. 1 happy customer tells 10, 1 pissed off customer tells 100. Your bad experience will work its way around the car community.

Troutman
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
i received a message from the BBB today stating that XXX chrome has not responded to the first notice, and that a second notice has been sent out that they have 14 days to respond to. if they do not respond to this notice, the issue will be closed and the complaint will be filed on their record.

im not entirely sure what this means exactly. so the issue goes on their record, but what does that really do?...anything? who actually checks businesses BBB score anyways? hopefully i can get a hold of the BBB and speak with someone in person to get some answers

Prince Valiant
08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Well, ideally when dealing w/ a new (to you) business, check w/ the BBB and see how they fare. If they are in good standing, hey, you'll probably get decent service, and you'll probably get responses IF something went wrong and thus resolved.

If not, don't do business w/ them. Before doing business in which you are putting up parts/services that will be costly or very important to you, you SHOULD check the BBB...it's better utilized BEFORE you enter a business agreement, and why you should look for signs that state they ARE a part of the BBB. Again, if they are in good standing, they probably want to keep it, so should a problem arise, it'll be resolved before you go to the BBB, and if it went to the BBB, you'd probably get at least a satisfactory resolution/mediation.

Right now, much of your work is only protecting those who in the future checks w/ the BBB (again, if the work is important, EVERYONE should) prior to having a service performed. It sadly won't do you much good as obviously keeping a good standing w/ the BBB is on no concern to these individuals.

Obviously, another form of remediation...and what I'd suggest the next step be in your case if you really want to hold these guys feet to the fire is to take it to small claims court.

Dasred
08-05-2009, 10:39 AM
i'm not going to slander them

Why not!?!?!?
Sounds well slander is only slander if it's not true, if they're a crap company, yeah, get the word out!

Doc Brown
08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
If you've got really big cajones you could go this satisfying route:

You could go back there and demand of the owner's wife (since she seems to always be there and not the owner) that you remove the throttle rod from her car and leave with it. When she refuses, ask why, and when she tells you that it is theft if you were to take it then simply say that the end result would be no different than what they did to you, and it is only fair. Dare her to call the police, so that you can file a claim with them against the actual theft perpetrated on you by them and you want to press charges. When she refuses to do that tell her to give you the $61.86 that they owe you in cash right now and then you will consider the matter closed. Whatever you do don't let her stall when she says she needs to call her husband because she knows nothing about it. She knows what's going on, she's just as guilty as the owner and anyone else involved there is. The issue is, they just don't care. This way, you make them care, and teach them a hard but valuable lesson about customer service at the same time.

Troutman
08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
If you've got really big cajones you could go this satisfying route:

You could go back there and demand of the owner's wife (since she seems to always be there and not the owner) that you remove the throttle rod from her car and leave with it. When she refuses, ask why, and when she tells you that it is theft if you were to take it then simply say that the end result would be no different than what they did to you, and it is only fair. Dare her to call the police, so that you can file a claim with them against the actual theft perpetrated on you by them and you want to press charges. When she refuses to do that tell her to give you the $61.86 that they owe you in cash right now and then you will consider the matter closed. Whatever you do don't let her stall when she says she needs to call her husband because she knows nothing about it. She knows what's going on, she's just as guilty as the owner and anyone else involved there is. The issue is, they just don't care. This way, you make them care, and teach them a hard but valuable lesson about customer service at the same time.

:thumbsup by far the best idea ive heard...next to round-housing everyone of course

BigSnailBuick
08-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Wow man what a fuggin nightmare. I seriously dont know how some companies stay in business fvckin people around like that. I would be steaming for a while and hell no dont let them take your $60 and move on. You should not only get a refund of your $60 but you should get the work done for free as well. Guess thats only how I would run my business but at the same time I would also never put a customer off that long where I would feel the need to refund them all their money :rolf Hope you get it sorted

SSLEVO
08-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I guess if you really want to stick it to them to them to small claims court and make them pay for all of the coating, lost parts and gas to and from their shop.

Although, to me it wouldn't be worth wasting a vacation day as i would get paid more going to work than i would in court. Some times it's worth it on principal though.

Irish
08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I would be willing to go with you to act as a witness if you want to try the whole theft thing... We could video it!

Troutman
08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I guess if you really want to stick it to them to them to small claims court and make them pay for all of the coating, lost parts and gas to and from their shop.

Although, to me it wouldn't be worth wasting a vacation day as i would get paid more going to work than i would in court. Some times it's worth it on principal though.

im thinking about it, but for $60 it almost doesnt seem worth everyones time involved. however i dont want to let them off with a slap on the wrist.

I would be willing to go with you to act as a witness if you want to try the whole theft thing... We could video it!

get Chris Hansen and im down!

Irish
08-07-2009, 11:51 AM
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/juice/chris%20hansen.jpg

84hurst
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
:rolf

Troutman
08-10-2009, 04:30 PM
realized i can leave reviews on google as well.:headbang

curious to know if they'll have a booth at WOW...just might have to rent some vendor space next to them:flipoff2:

Troutman
08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
i received a call from XXX yesterday. By sheer luck the throttle rod they lost magically appeared. even more interesting is the fact that they did not know that they had been turned into the BBB. she was quite surprised (and not at all happy) when i informed her of this. of course she asked why i would do this over $60..and i then proceeded to inform her in a "less-than-professional" manner. she then tried to make me out to be the bad guy saying that her husband was very sick and that she had issues as well, on top of other things. All of which happened to occur AFTER i sent them a 2nd notice about my reimbursement. she asked me if i would come pick up the part and remove the complaint from the BBB. I said i would come pick up the part and contact the BBB.

i picked up the part last night and spoke with another guy there, and he said that they have actually had the part for almost 3 weeks. O'RLY? the guy said he went to pick up an order and knew the part as soon as he saw it. So, the BBB sends out a 2nd notice (that apparently you didnt receive either), and all of the sudden i get a call about my part after its been sitting there 3 weeks, and the 2 invoices i sent magically appear as well.....interesting.

i tried calling the BBB this morning (left a message).

so, In the end i have my part, I am still out $42 dollars for a part i no longer need, and have wasted hours of my time dealing with them. it turns out the owner is indeed very sick, which i am sorry to hear. But like i told her, this all happened after the fact. im curious to find out what the BBB will do. i hope the issue will remain on their record, but show that the complaint has been resolved (to an extent). i'll post another update once i hear back from them.

-Todd

Exitspeed
08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Complaints with the BBB do have a magical way of getting shit done.

SSLEVO
08-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Screw that, don't withdraw the complaint. After they lost it initially they should have bought a new one and coated it for free that week. You should not have to chase after a "service" you paid for.

Doc Brown
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
I do hope that you merely amended your complaint with the BBB, not removed it. Because I think what they were looking for was an outright retraction of the entire complaint, which would essentially mean that there was never an issue. Were it me, my message to the BBB would have simply been " XXX finally located my part, which they received at their shop 3 weeks ago but apparently misplaced. I am still out of money on this deal, and would like like the final version of the complaint to reflect this along with the rest of my original complaint. Barring a full refund from XXX, I now consider the matter closed."

In the end, they still wronged you. The illness is unfortunate, but they are still running a business. There are other employees that work there who could handle things while they took a leave so the business could continue to run, but apparently the owners like to keep their employees in the dark about front office operations. How they choose to operate their business should not have had this effect on you, the customer.

Troutman
08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
i should clarify that i told them i would contact the BBB, i didnt say to them that i would withdraw the complaint. when i received a message from the BBB they asked that i contact them should XXX get in contact with me. my hope is that the compliant stays on their record, with detailed information outlining everything involving the issue, and the final outcome.

i have no intention of removing the complaint, especially when im still short money, time, and had a parked car.

97z2801ss
08-14-2009, 01:11 AM
glad to read it was somewhat resolved man!