PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Place to take a rider course?

TransAm12sec
07-30-2009, 01:50 PM
What's the cheaper place to take a rider course? I don't own a bike, but rode one for the first time over the weekend, it was a good time.

I just started looking, but so far I found this:

$195 to $350
http://www.ridersedge.com/1_new/1_new1_basic.htm#

$290
http://www.ridealive.net/Course%20Information.htm

0TransAm0
07-30-2009, 05:51 PM
i took mine at gateway tech. in kenosha was about $150 alltho that was about 7-8 years ago.

BoosTT
07-31-2009, 08:22 AM
I just did it at wctc this summer and it was around $200. They say you need a helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. However, they provide helmets (if needed), all you need is long sleave t-shirt, regular boots, and gardening gloves (lol).

I have all the gear, since I got a bike. But, if you are just starting out and don't have any gear, look into wctc.

The classes book FAST! Mine was half full within an hour of the registration opening.

lilws6
07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
i think i only paid $160 at wctc last year?

xFullThrottlex
07-31-2009, 12:59 PM
I went to motorcycling enterprises (crystal ridge ski hill) and paid $280 last year and got it done in april

JaMichaels
07-31-2009, 06:31 PM
I bought a dirt bike, got used to it, then walked into the DMV and took my temps test. 25 minutes later walked out with my temps. 2 months later I returned and took the driving test. All and all I think I paid 260 bucks and I have a dirt bike. lol

Exitspeed
03-04-2010, 11:03 AM
An update on the WCTC classes. Just looked at their site and they are $217 now.

Hopefully there's room for me to sign up.
http://www.wctc.edu/programs_&_courses/course_info.php?code=816&num=420

Junky Giorgio
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't waste my money at any of those cheaper rider courses listed above.
If you want to learn from the best, I highly recommend Learning Curves Motorcycle Safety School.

I've taken both the basic rider course and the race school and it was well worth every penny.

http://iwanttoride.com/

Exitspeed
03-04-2010, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't waste my money at any of those cheaper rider courses listed above.
If you want to learn from the best, I highly recommend Learning Curves Motorcycle Safety School.

I've taken both the basic rider course and the race school and it was well worth every penny.

http://iwanttoride.com/

I get that you thought Learning Curves was good, but that doesn't mean the instruction won't be just as good somewhere else. Unless you've had the class at WCTC how can you say it's not worth saving $83?

Monstr913
03-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I personally know the owner of ride alive good long time family friend and all his instructors are his family he's a good guy and has options for classes you can do it over a weekend or throughout a week. He fills up fast especially at beginning of year.

Junky Giorgio
03-05-2010, 12:16 AM
I get that you thought Learning Curves was good, but that doesn't mean the instruction won't be just as good somewhere else. Unless you've had the class at WCTC how can you say it's not worth saving $83?

Because the instructors at LCMS are mostly if not all CCS/ASRA & AMA racers & ex racers. I've had several friends that have taken the cheaper courses at WCTC, etc. and said that the course was a joke and the instructors only know whats in the book and don't go above and beyond for the people that need that extra attention to acquire the skill of riding a motorcycle.

Also, to me spending $83 more for something that has more quality and a better reputation is well worth the life long skills that you learn when it comes to something of this status. Just my 0.02

Anakonda69
03-05-2010, 06:41 AM
My dad's buddy owns ride alive. my friend took their course and said they we're great instructors. i plan on taking it next summer.

Exitspeed
03-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Because the instructors at LCMS are mostly if not all CCS/ASRA & AMA racers & ex racers. I've had several friends that have taken the cheaper courses at WCTC, etc. and said that the course was a joke and the instructors only know whats in the book and don't go above and beyond for the people that need that extra attention to acquire the skill of riding a motorcycle.

Also, to me spending $83 more for something that has more quality and a better reputation is well worth the life long skills that you learn when it comes to something of this status. Just my 0.02

Good to know.

VroomPshhTsi
03-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Took mine at WCTC. Like others have said, easy course, decent price.

deuceWI
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Since WCTC has been mentioned, don't forget MATC too. I know they used to run courses, and can't imagine why they still wouldn't.

I personally never took a course, just learned to ride dirt bikes when I was big enough, and learned that falling (just like on a bicycle) hurts a bunch, so don't do that.

WickedSix
03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
My dad's buddy owns ride alive. my friend took their course and said they we're great instructors. i plan on taking it next summer.

you and your brother should take it with marsha this summer :thumbups at least go get ur permit so u can steal my bike for a weekend lol

I went to Learning Curves and the instructors were great. Very knowledgable about the motorcycles and HIGHLY skilled rides. My instructor took his goldwing with a trailer through the course to show use it can be done with bigger bikes. Ithought I knew how to ride from riding dirtbikes...but taking the riders course was an eye opener!

Exitspeed
03-05-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a question then for the people that have taken the course...

I have never been on a bike. I understand how everything works, I just have zero actual experience. I know this is a learning class, but will I be totally out of place and look like a 'tard (for this reason particularly. Please don't answer that about other things)?

Anakonda69
03-05-2010, 02:20 PM
you pay i'll take it pat. lol

pOrk
03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
I have a question then for the people that have taken the course...

I have never been on a bike. I understand how everything works, I just have zero actual experience. I know this is a learning class, but will I be totally out of place and look like a 'tard (for this reason particularly. Please don't answer that about other things)?

Your gonna look like a tard regardless :thumbsup I was the only guy in my MATC Riders course that had EVER been on a motorcycle.

I was also the only guy that rode a piece o shit hardtail bike that leaked gas AND oil, with no front brakes, TO the class every day. Everyone thought I was a bit off

Its probably true.

Anyways, they start you from the very beginning and the class is SUPER easy going. I was riding for over a year by the time I took the class, and I still learned a few things.

WickedSix
03-05-2010, 03:10 PM
^^^^ what he said.... MOST of the people in my class didnt have day one on a motorcycle before class.... and Gilbert Brown was in my class and he stalled the bike and put his feet down like most everyone there.... so if u make mistakes learn from them...u paid money for the class to learn... don't think u need to look cool or judge yourself against other people there...just focus on your own driving and getn better

MoCkiN U
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
take the course. You can also look at 13mordeth's videos on youtube he has some cool "how to ride a bike" videos.

lilws6
03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
there were only two of us in our class that had ever ridden a motorcycle. and a bunch of the younger guys had R1's and a bunch should never ride a bike ever! lol