PDA

View Full Version : rough night for the Biscuit

jbiscuit
07-30-2009, 07:57 AM
had an electrical fire in the car shortly after leaving Solid Gold last night. Luckily got it put out in time. Scary shit. Electrical fires suck. Took out the entire front half of the harness with the lights, alternator, battery cables and horn. I'm just thankful I got it put out in time to save the car. Pretty sad day for me. :(

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1566/fire4.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4461/fire3r.jpg

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5605/fire2n.jpg

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1221/fire1.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4899/att560967.jpg

CannotPost
07-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Wow! You got lucky. Any paint damage on the outside of the car?

Crawlin
07-30-2009, 08:12 AM
HOLY FUCK!!! Glad to see it's fixable. Just a pain in the ass to do all that. Was it the stock wiring harness still?

jbiscuit
07-30-2009, 08:52 AM
doesn't appear to be any paint damage anywhere. I honestly won't know until I blow all the fire extinguisher powder off the car

Flicktitty
07-30-2009, 09:04 AM
man does that suck! did you have an extingisher inside the car?

jbiscuit
07-30-2009, 09:09 AM
no. Those little extinguishers wouldn't have done jack anyways in this situation. The entire front lamp harness was on fire. Those have about 1-2 seconds worth of discharge. This needed like 10

Rocket Power
07-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow that sucks, glad you got it out before it go worse

Prince Valiant
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Recall the coronet had a fire too...sucked. Fortunately, it was on the ignition circuit, so simple removal of the key killed it.

Wasn't that supposed to be a fusable circuit that went in your car? If it's not, add one...that's what I did when I repaired it.

Like you, fortunate that no one was hurt, not much other damage to the car...btw, I recommend taking it to a shop that does auto electronics...the repair was such a freakin' hassle, lol.

Racer X79
07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow. Electrical fires are terrible, glad to hear you got it out before it spread ot the rest of the car. I had a '80 T/A a few years back that shorted out the main positive wire that ran from the battery to the starter and lit the wire covering and the paint on the side of the block on fire. It took like 3 of those little extinguisers to put it out. All I can say is good luck with the rewiring, and get that powder from the extinguiser off everything you can right away. I found out the hard way that it likes to eat/stain aluminum and coated headers.

Irish
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Wow!!!:stare

Sorry to hear about this. If you want any help, let me know.

michelle
07-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Sorry to hear but glad the fire didn't spread too far in the car!

WhatsADSM
07-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Damn man that sucks!

At least like you said it could have been much worse. Keep us updated once you know more about the paint.

Holeshot
07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Glad it wasn't worse. If I can help with parts let me know.

jbiscuit
07-30-2009, 02:09 PM
paint seems fine. Just got home and gave it a thorough bath. It did start to discolor some of the older painted surfaces (original areas) under the hood. Anything with newer paint seems fine. It also tarnished anything bare metal also....bolt heads, master cylinder lid etc. Turned it bronze. Wierd shit.

jbiscuit
07-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Like you, fortunate that no one was hurt, not much other damage to the car...btw, I recommend taking it to a shop that does auto electronics...the repair was such a freakin' hassle, lol.

after I sort some things out, I'll get a harness made to my specs to accomodate the 1-wire high output alternator and the headlamps. Thankfully the fire didn't spread to the firewall junction. That equals $$$$$$$. I will just need battery cables (piece of mind), the headlamp & horn harness, probably a new relay for the horn and thats about it. Lots of cleanup however. That powder from the extinguisher is EVERYWHERE :crying

b4mytm
07-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Holy Cow Jason!
Just like everybody else said I'm glad it didn't spread anywhere else.

Burgandy85SS
07-30-2009, 06:25 PM
How far from Solid gold did you get? If you need any help cleanin up or painting anything under the hood let me know.

Waver
07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Damn that sucks man, once again, I am glad that it didnt hurt the rest of the car....

Beagle
07-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Your car started on fire at the strip club???

That sucks man could have been worse. And yes I know it was solid gold mc'd's.

nismodave
07-30-2009, 08:03 PM
http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/AP_iraq_harsh_echo32.jpg

jbiscuit
07-30-2009, 10:10 PM
How far from Solid gold did you get? If you need any help cleanin up or painting anything under the hood let me know.

not far at all. Pulled over at 76th and Layton where I put it out

jbiscuit
07-31-2009, 12:20 PM
update on the progress:

After 10 hours in the garage yesterday, I was able to clean the entire car including the engine bay and get everything detailed. The fire extinguisher residue did tarnish and affect the finish on a lot of bare metal surfaces like the master cylinder, fuel pump, some hood latch hardware, grille rivets etc but nothing serious. Got the old harness out. New harness ordered this morning which is being made to my 1-wire alternator usage and placement in the car. New GM firewall junction, horn relay (which acts a core support junction), battery cables and a new positive battery cable tie. Still have some wiring to sort out on the firewall tonight but its getting there.

Wiring on this car I'm learning very quickly doesn't utilize MUCH of the factory harness. Since my car started life as a 6 cylinder, the original harness was modified over 20 years ago to accommodate the V8. Then factor in the addition of the MSD ignition, no more points, the 1-wire alternator vs. 3, the 68 motor with long water pump which mounts the alternator on the passenger side (opposite of stock 64s) and this sucker is a cluster.

My intent will be to rip out as much wiring now and try and redo a lot of it so its as close to how the factory would have done it including correct wire color and routing. More to come.

Crawlin
07-31-2009, 12:25 PM
custom harness time? or is it being made to stock? can you pick and choose what wires you need added and have it made like that?

jbiscuit
07-31-2009, 12:29 PM
it'll be "custom" to accommodate the location and type of alternator but it will appear and function just like stock. Including harness tape, connectors wire routing and grounds etc. Pretty slick. Whats cool is that in the future when I change motors, I'll have to modify this new harness once the alternator goes to the driver's side but they way the junction is being done at the horn relay, it'll be pretty easy :)

william schlosser
07-31-2009, 12:34 PM
sorry to hear about the fire. hope everything works out for you. bill

DR.FORD
07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
My dumb ass just read the post-Glad everything is OK!
I thought maybe you were talking about your girlfriends va-J-J by the post heading!!:banana1:

jbiscuit
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
My dumb ass just read the post-Glad everything is OK!
I thought maybe you were talking about your girlfriends va-J-J by the post heading!!:banana1:

:rolf

you owe me a new keyboard for that one since my is now soaked with pepsi :rolf

Rocket Power
07-31-2009, 01:03 PM

:rolf:rolf:rolf

PB86MCSS
08-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Sorry to see that, good to see it was stopped in time though....good reminder, for me anyway, to invest in an extinguisher just in case. I've seen too many cars with engine fires :( .

JC70SS
08-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Glad everything is ok J!

Rocket Power
08-01-2009, 03:03 PM
good reminder, for me anyway, to invest in an extinguisher just in case.

X2
I was talking to my friend today about this and how I want to get one for my 64 for just in case. And before the wiseasses come out, I don't mean just in case it leaves the garage:goof

DR.FORD
08-01-2009, 03:06 PM
:rolf

you owe me a new keyboard for that one since my is now soaked with pepsi :rolf

:thumbsup

jbiscuit
08-07-2009, 11:47 PM
well, may have figured out what caused the fire in the car. The alternator is faulty. Had Dan (Holeshot) try and test it today and the machine quick-failed it. Probably an issue with the internal voltage regulator or a torched diode or something. Since it doesn't smell of "burnt," I'd guess the regulator failed which overloaded the output "BAT" wire in a hurry. Too much amperage = molten wires in a hurry. Seems to make sense as to the cause. Pretty sh1tty considering its a 1-year old alternator. I'll be calling the manufacturer again on monday to give them one more chance to stand behind their product.

SSDude
08-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Good to hear you traced down the cause. No need to melt down a new harness.

Got to wonder if the guys who built it are using cut rate parts to save a nickle?

If they won't make it right with you pick up a NAPA internal regulator we can throw in it.

jbiscuit
08-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Good to hear you traced down the cause. No need to melt down a new harness.

Got to wonder if the guys who built it are using cut rate parts to save a nickle?

If they won't make it right with you pick up a NAPA internal regulator we can throw in it.

I will have several safe guards built into the new wiring. 1) fusible link at the battery from the charging circuit of the alt to cut power from the alternator should the internal regulator fail in the future. High current overload will buzz the fusible link and take out the power generation before it does damage. 2) get rid of the DB Electrical high-amp alternator. They are "known" to build a quality alternator and a quick Google search shows there are a lot of happy campers using them. I just can't take the risk a 2nd time however. They also chose to not stand behind their product in the first 2 conversations with them which was a shock to me considering how "new" the alternator was. Good old reman Remy for me now. :thumbsup

juicedimpss
08-13-2009, 09:17 AM
DAMN!

glad to see its not worse.

jbiscuit
08-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Update

Made a lot of progress on the car tonight. Harness showed up. Man is it nice! Probably nicer than the original if that is possible. All GM connectors, correct color-coded wires and lengths. Really a nice harness. Need to finish up a couple things with the alternator and the positive battery cable but it should be ready to fire tomorrow *cross fingers. :)

juicedimpss
08-17-2009, 11:27 AM
good to see the car back on the road j.

jbiscuit
08-17-2009, 11:30 AM
^ Thanks ron, though I was shittin my pants the whole ride down. "What is that smell? You smell that?" Jeni thought I was losin my mind. She seems all good now. To GLD and back without a hitch. Though it was hotter than hell Saturday! I had to drive 75 to cool down with my arms and legs hangin out the side windows :rolf

Racer X79
08-17-2009, 12:29 PM
^ Thanks ron, though I was shittin my pants the whole ride down. "What is that smell? You smell that?" Jeni thought I was losin my mind. She seems all good now. To GLD and back without a hitch. Though it was hotter than hell Saturday! I had to drive 75 to cool down with my arms and legs hangin out the side windows :rolf

Yea, I saw you down there but I never got over to say hi. The car looked very nice, couldn't even tell what happened. Hell of a good job. I've got the tan Malibu with dog dishes and parked by you at McDonalds a while back. It was Hot....VERY HOT!! Waiting to go into the water box Saturday with the windows closed and helmet on was no fun, and the ride home wasn't much better, lol. Maybe some day I'll put the rubber floor back in. :thumbsup Again, very nice job.

juicedimpss
08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Yea, I saw you down there but I never got over to say hi. The car looked very nice, couldn't even tell what happened. Hell of a good job. I've got the tan Malibu with dog dishes and parked by you at McDonalds a while back. It was Hot....VERY HOT!! Waiting to go into the water box Saturday with the windows closed and helmet on was no fun, and the ride home wasn't much better, lol. Maybe some day I'll put the rubber floor back in. :thumbsup Again, very nice job.

also a sweet car.
:thumbsup

jbiscuit
08-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Racer X79's car is hooott!! We'll meet up soon man. I love that car of yours