PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone in here understand this???

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Its an oil analysis of my brothers Monte Carlo SS 5.3L

Irish
07-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Why was it analyzed?

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 02:39 PM
It was the first oil change with AMS oil, i went 1 year 9000 miles on it, just curious what it says.

Rocket Power
07-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Does your brother like you posting his name address and phone on the internet?

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Does your brother like you posting his name address and phone on the internet?

thats actually my info. But the last name is spelled wrong, its kosterman. Im in the phone book, so it doesnt matter.

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Anybody???

BoosTT
07-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I think you need to provide the oil type/brand used to the anaysis people for them to compare it to fresh oil.

Karps TA
07-29-2009, 03:26 PM
In my experience with oil labs, we always get an explanation of what the findings mean. That's weird that you just got the actual physical results only.

WickedSix
07-29-2009, 03:50 PM
ppm = parts per million ..... looks like based upon their findings there is an irregular amount of wear materials contained within the sample you provided along with the oil being slighty alkaline... i dont know what in particular would be putting excessive hydroxyl molecules into the oil however

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
The car has a 7/70 warranty, so im not that concerned, i was just curious if AmsOil was any good. The car had 12k when i put it in, could that still be in the break in period of the motor???

-stew-
07-29-2009, 06:07 PM
thats actually my info. But the last name is spelled wrong, its kosterman. Im in a bunch of new M4M and M4T personal ads on Craigslist, so it doesnt matter.

*fixed...

nismodave
07-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I dont care how good an oil is I would NEVER wait 9k between changes.

1320PNY
07-29-2009, 06:35 PM
I work for a company that has a lab and does analysis. I don't work for that division, but I have had all my oil analized for my Mustang since day one (April 2006).

The wear metals should be under 10, but since this was break-in you will see a bit of copper and other metals for the first 5K miles. I think your Copper number is a bit high, but that is all the wear metals from the whole duration of your usage, so it isn't terrible. I think it would be terrible if it were over 200 PPM (parts per million as stated by another member).

Next is the "add pack" or additives the oil had when new. Those numbers look pretty good, but you never really lose add pack before the useful life of the oil is over. Typically your oil breaks down by fuel diluition (yours is less than 1% so it is good) or TBN goes below 2. Your TBN or Total Base Number is your base reserve to protect the oil from becoming caustic and acidic in nature. Typically a number above 2 is good. Typical oils start in a range of about 7.8 and then fall to 5 or slightly below over 3500 to 5000 mile drain intervals.

As far as your results, everything is within "spec" for a factory vehicle. If this was a fleet vehicle, nobody would change anything as it is within the guidelines to maintain your warranty.

If you drive the car harder you may want to think about changing the oil more often. Your TBN is dangerously close to showing the useful life of the oil was over. If you take the car anywhere sandy (beach, Arizona, etc) you may want to change the oil more often because of the silica contaminants.

Like you stated, this is a 7yr warranty vehicle and your report didn't show any red flags, so keep saving your money and time with less frequent oil changes.

Car Guy
07-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I dont care how good an oil is I would NEVER wait 9k between changes.

9k miles is nothing.....:thumbsup

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 09:50 PM
I work for a company that has a lab and does analysis. I don't work for that division, but I have had all my oil analized for my Mustang since day one (April 2006).

The wear metals should be under 10, but since this was break-in you will see a bit of copper and other metals for the first 5K miles. I think your Copper number is a bit high, but that is all the wear metals from the whole duration of your usage, so it isn't terrible. I think it would be terrible if it were over 200 PPM (parts per million as stated by another member).

Next is the "add pack" or additives the oil had when new. Those numbers look pretty good, but you never really lose add pack before the useful life of the oil is over. Typically your oil breaks down by fuel diluition (yours is less than 1% so it is good) or TBN goes below 2. Your TBN or Total Base Number is your base reserve to protect the oil from becoming caustic and acidic in nature. Typically a number above 2 is good. Typical oils start in a range of about 7.8 and then fall to 5 or slightly below over 3500 to 5000 mile drain intervals.

As far as your results, everything is within "spec" for a factory vehicle. If this was a fleet vehicle, nobody would change anything as it is within the guidelines to maintain your warranty.

If you drive the car harder you may want to think about changing the oil more often. Your TBN is dangerously close to showing the useful life of the oil was over. If you take the car anywhere sandy (beach, Arizona, etc) you may want to change the oil more often because of the silica contaminants.

Like you stated, this is a 7yr warranty vehicle and your report didn't show any red flags, so keep saving your money and time with less frequent oil changes.

Thank you!!! My brothers average speed in his car is 23 mph, he just uses it as a cruiser. I used AMSoil 5w-30 super life that is suppose to be good for 25,000 miles or 1 year. Seeing as his commute is 1.4 miles each way for half the year (hes a teacher) i figured we'd give amsoil a try. He is not car savvy and him forgetting an oil change for a year would not be an uncommon thing. The GM oil life ran thru exactly 2 times( it was at 2% when i changed it) it was 1 year and 2 days exactly and 9,257 miles.