PDA

View Full Version : Latest cash for clunkers scam

05caddyext
07-29-2009, 06:41 AM
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1030/clunker-confusion-mpg-figures/;_ylc=X3oDMTFkNnJla280BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRv ZGF5BHNsawNjbHVua2VyLWNvbmZ1c2lvbg--

How ridiculous is this? Its a joke.

xxsn0blindxx
07-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I read in a different article that the EPA revisions basically resulted in a wash with an almost equal number of cars added to the list as were taken off. It sucks if you had one of the cars that came off.

Karps TA
07-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Jalopnik has the lists on their site. And yes it about equals out.

pOrk
07-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Its a scam, Lisa and I went into a Jeep Dealer yesterday with intentions of buying a compass and they had not a one. For shits and giggles we thought we'd ask what other vehicles they had eligible for the 4500 govt. program plus their match, and he said we are all sold out. They didn't have more then 3 NEW cars on the lot less then 25 grand.

Karps TA
07-29-2009, 09:12 AM
That's not a scam, that cause banks are being so stingy with money dealerships can't have shit for a floorplan anymore.

pOrk
07-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Why are they advertising the hell out of this 'deal' to get a new car, and when you get there they try to sell you a 30k dollar vehicle. They refused to check other dealerships or order one new cause ironically, EVERYTHING is sold out. Right

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 09:19 AM
That's not a scam, that cause banks are being so stingy with money dealerships can't have shit for a floorplan anymore.

thats not it either, chrysler hasnt made a new vehicle since filing bankruptcy in Feb. we usually carry 450+ new cars, we currently have 157. we are have been purchasing cars from as far away as florida and nevada just to meet the needs of our customers. This cash for clunkers came at a bad time for chrysler.

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Here is a satelite view of Palmen Motors in Kenosha of what the lot normally looks like. If you drive past, you can verify my diagram.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z28/alexkosterman/palmenface2.jpg

Moparjim
07-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Its a scam, Lisa and I went into a Jeep Dealer yesterday with intentions of buying a compass and they had not a one. For shits and giggles we thought we'd ask what other vehicles they had eligible for the 4500 govt. program plus their match, and he said we are all sold out. They didn't have more then 3 NEW cars on the lot less then 25 grand.

Not a scam - I am still looking at a Caliber SRT4 at Dodge City where I know Cal and a bunch of people. They told me they sold like 15 of the 16 Calibers they had, and basically everything that qualifies with the mileage and is cheaper like the Caliber and Compass has been flying out the door.

Call Dodge City and ask to talk to Tony or Brian from sales and see if they can help you get something. They can get stuff from other dealers, though I imagine other dealers are in the same boat. The initial rush on the cash fro clunkers thing has everything in short supply.

Luckily, I had them get a Black SRT4 for me a couple days ago. I guess the other dealer in IL is now a bit pissed and told my guy at Dodge City how smart he was for grabbing that car since it does indeed qualify. So as a bonus I stuck it to a FIB lol.

jbiscuit
07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
yep the cheaper priced cars are almost all gone. I have a guy I work with having the same issues. Was looking at Caliber's and Compasses also. Can't find anything on the lower end of the pricing.

SLOWC5
07-29-2009, 11:43 AM
I wasn't aware Dodge was capable of making a car with better than 20 mpg, lol :)

Karps TA
07-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Caliber is only technically a car, based on the fact it has 4 wheels.

Exitspeed
07-29-2009, 02:01 PM

^
This is true. They aren't selling cars so they aren't stocking cars.

Why are they advertising the hell out of this 'deal' to get a new car, and when you get there they try to sell you a 30k dollar vehicle. They refused to check other dealerships or order one new cause ironically, EVERYTHING is sold out. Right

^
This part of it is just the dealer/ sales people sucking and not wanting to do their jobs.

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 02:04 PM
you guys have no clue. If they arent build cars, you cant stock cars on the lot, we have had to switch to selling mostly used because we cant get new. We sold over 400 cars in the last 2 months to chrysler employees who took the early retirement packages, these packages included a 25,000 dollar voucher towards a new car. Like i said ealier, we have gone as far away as Florida, Arizona and Colorado just to keep cars on our lot.

Karps TA
07-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I can't speak towards Dodge. So that may be the case. But that said I've seen my share of lazy dealerships that don't want to do dealer trades as well, especially if it means any kind of work. It's probably tougher now, but I'd imagine there's still some dealerships that have some cars.

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Being in a Chrysler town, we have been jumping thru hoops to get cars on the lot, we currently have:

Aspen-0
300-0
PT Cruiser-6
Sebrings - 8
Town and Country - 17

Avenger- 12
Caliber- 16
Challenger- 1
Charger- 7
Dakota- 1
Grand Caravan- 14
Journey -9
Nitro- 2
Ram 1500- 18
Ram 2500- 7
Ram 3500-1

Commander- 3
Compass- 3
Grand Cherokee 10
Liberty- 3
Patriot -10
Wranger- 0
Wrangler 4dr- 1

For comparison, at this time last year, we had 147 minivans on the lot.

Karps TA
07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
But in this specific complaint it's that no dealerships have cars that qualify for the C4C thing, and you're showing you have what 30+ betwen Calibers, Compass, Avengers?

I doubt minivan's would qualify for most people.

Plum Crazy
07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Minivans might, they get 17-25 mpg If you were upgrading from a 2nd gen ram, id be pretty close.

GTSLOW
07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
^ Wait if you have 3 compasses then there you go porky.

pOrk
07-29-2009, 08:56 PM
I PM'ed him :)

lordairgtar
07-29-2009, 09:04 PM
My Son in law works at Hall VW/Mazda. He drives to locations as far away as St Louis and the Twin Cities, Joliet, Davenport Iowa, and Indianapolis to trade cars and transport cars back that people want at least twice a week. Dealers are widening their net to find cars for customers with C4C trade-ins. I'm surprised your dealer did not go the extra mile for you and find the Compass you wanted.

05caddyext
07-30-2009, 08:43 AM
So what about the fact that people are getting letters saying that their car no longer qualifies? Come up with the $4500 or bring the car back? Thats wrong.

Goat Roper
07-30-2009, 08:50 AM
So what about the fact that people are getting letters saying that their car no longer qualifies? Come up with the $4500 or bring the car back? Thats wrong.

They rolled the dice and purchased a car before July 24th but after July 1st. Their purchase agreement stated that additional documentation was needed. They rolled the dice and lost.

Waver
07-30-2009, 06:51 PM
They rolled the dice and purchased a car before July 24th but after July 1st. Their purchase agreement stated that additional documentation was needed. They rolled the dice and lost.

Thank you....every contract we wrote up prior to the 24th that was a c4c deal stated that......because things wernt finalized

Karps TA
07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
And the program is on hold

"The US government will suspend the popular cash for clunkers program after almost four days, telling Congress they'll burn through the $950 million budget by midnight. That means over 21,000 work trucks and 242,000 cars were potentially sold.

The decision to suspend the plan came after auto dealers warned the government today that it was in danger of losing track of how many trades had actually been made.

A survey of 2,000 dealers by the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) found about 25,000 deals not yet approved by NHTSA, or about 13 trades per store. With 23,005 dealers asking to be part of the program, auto dealers may have already arranged the sale of more than the 250,000 vehicles that federal officials expected the plan to generate. That means an extra quarter million vehicles will be sold this year — potentially taking the U.S. annual sales rate above ten million units, a key metric in sustainability of the U.S. automakers. Well, as long as they sold some cars off those trade-ins.

Our sources at NHTSA tell us they're drafting a statement and should have it to us shortly. So, more coming soon as this story's still developing."

Goat Roper
07-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Well I guess that is good and bad news

Yooformula
07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
guess obama motors made enough money so far so they can stop giving it out. they will figure out another way to give money to the auto industry. at least with this gimic people that actually needed a new car got a great deal.

Goat Roper
07-31-2009, 08:56 AM
guess obama motors made enough money so far so they can stop giving it out. they will figure out another way to give money to the auto industry. at least with this gimic people that actually needed a new car got a great deal.

I wouldn't be surprised top see them throw another billion into the kitty, they are already at $1.2 billion of which they only allocated $1 billion