PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Favre STAYING RETIRED

Exitspeed
07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3077&elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO 7DiUr

Good.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-28-2009, 04:24 PM
for now...............

michelle
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm not holding my breath.

0TransAm0
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
who cares

Yooformula
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I actually would rather watch the farve drama then all of the racial bias in the vick issue.

CATNHAT
07-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Brett Favre won't be joining the Vikings.
Vikings coach Brad Childress told the Star Tribune late this afternoon that the quarterback informed the team he has decided to remain retired. Childress cited the daily grind both mentally and physically as part of the reason why Favre remained retired.
"I just think it was a rare opportunity to explore a Hall of Fame quarterback who had background in the NFC and in this division," Childress said. "He knows our system inside out ... This doesn't change anything about how I feel about our football team."
Favre's decision comes one day before players begin reporting to training in Mankato. Favre had told the team he would have a decision by Thursday, when players must officially report to camp. The Vikings begin practicing on Friday.
Favre's decision means that Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels will compete for the starting job. That was the plan when the Vikings acquired Rosenfels from Houston last February for a fourth-round draft pick.
Favre entered the picture when the New York Jets released him from their reserve/retired list on April 28 after the team drafted Mark Sanchez in the first round. Favre had retired from the Jets in February in part because he was bothered by a partially torn biceps in his throwing arm.
Favre, who will turn 40 on Oct. 10, had surgery in late May to repair the arm and began working out with receivers at a high school in Hattiesburg, Miss. Ultimately his concern became whether he could make it through the rigors of a 16-game season.
Earlier Tuesday, kicker Ryan Longwell, a former teammate of Favre's with Green Bay, had put the chances of Favre returning at only 50-50. This was after many thought Favre was a lock to return.
"The way he plays the game is full throttle and that's the way he wants to be able to play because that's the way he's been successful," Longwell said. "His concern is not the arm or anything anymore it's that his body at 40-years-old isn't going to last the whole season playing at that level.
"Through his workouts and running and throwing and everything over the past month or so the arm he says has felt good. It's just the body doesn't recover as quick and I think him, knowing the way he wants to play the game he just doesn't want anything to hinder that. If the body is going to give out obviously that would hinder the way he played the game. So, I think that's his concern right now. He just wants to be able to give it a full effort and rightfully so. That's the way he's always played."
From a business standpoint, signing Favre seemed to make sense. The addition of Favre almost certainly would have guaranteed sellouts at the Metrodome for a franchise that has had its share of concerns about local television blackouts over the past two seasons. The Vikings have improved from 6-10 to 8-8 to 10-6 and an NFC North title in Childress' three seasons.
The Jets were 8-3 at one point last season but missed the playoffs after winning only one of their final five games with an injured Favre at quarterback. Favre announced his retirement during a Feb. 11 conference call. That was a significant difference from a year earlier when Favre said farewell during an emotional news conference at Lambeau Field after so many memorable seasons with the Packers.
Green Bay went 13-3 in Favre's final season, losing 23-20 in overtime of the NFC title game to the Giants after he threw an interception that set up the winning field goal. Favre threw for 4,155 yards -- his highest total since 1998 -- with 28 touchdowns, 15 interceptions and a 95.7 passer rating during the regular season in 2007 but on March 4 he called it quits.
Favre eventually decided he had made a mistake and attempted to return to the Packers in July but was told the team had moved on and that Aaron Rodgers was now its starter. Favre sought to get his release so he could sign with the Vikings, but the Packers balked and eventually traded him to the Jets during training camp in what proved to be an ugly divorce.
Green Bay even filed tampering charges against the Vikings, claiming Minnesota had had improper contact with Favre, but NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell ruled in the Vikings' favor. Favre, meanwhile, threw an NFL-high 22 interceptions with New York and was ninth in the league with 22 touchdown passes. His 3,472 yards passing ranked 11th and his 81.0 passer rating was 21st.
One reason Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last year is because of his familiarity with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, who was Favre's position coach in Green Bay from 2003-05 and was on the Packers' coaching staff for six seasons. In addition to being good friends with Bevell, Favre also is very familiar with the West Coast offense run by the Vikings. The short passing scheme is the same one Favre worked under during his entire time with the Packers.
Favre, who grew up in Kiln, Miss., and was a second-round draft choice of the Atlanta Falcons out of Southern Mississippi in 1991, holds several NFL passing records, including touchdowns, attempts, yards and victories. He broke Dan Marino's career touchdown mark by throwing his 421st scoring pass to Greg Jennings in the Packers' 23-16 victory on Sept. 30, 2007 at the Metrodome.
Favre was acquired by then-Packers General Manager Ron Wolf for a first-round pick in a trade made on Feb. 10, 1992. He began that season as the backup to Don Majkowski but came off the bench in the third game after Majkowski suffered an ankle injury and led Green Bay to a 24-23 victory over Cincinnati at Lambeau Field. Favre connected with wide receiver Kitrick Taylor on a 35-yard scoring pass with only 13 seconds left. Favre led the Packers to a Super Bowl title with a victory over New England after the 1996 season and the following season Green Bay returned to the Super Bowl but lost to Denver.

Dan Krolczyk
Director of Sales, Digital
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/cid:image001.jpg@01CA0FA1.9F471EB0

94greenbandit
07-28-2009, 05:25 PM
About time that old interception hungry fool retired

Yooformula
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
moved into correct forum.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
07-28-2009, 05:39 PM
It's about time he stops playing the whining attention game.

Eh I want to play, but I can't make up my mind.

Holeshot
07-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't believe it for one minute.

Karps TA
07-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I think he realizes that as much as his heart wants to play, his body can't play 16-20 games anymore.

Now I'm stuck watching Rodgers not win close ball games.

Z28Envy
07-28-2009, 07:20 PM
As a Viking fan I wish he would have been able to play. I'm sure he would have done much better than Jackson.

70 cutlass 442
07-29-2009, 02:02 AM
Wish he would have played, I still think he come back for one more season....

But i do get a kik out of all you guys saying he is a drama queen and only wants attention.... since he retired from GB, how many interviews has he done? How many times have you seen him go on national TV and bitch about how things turned out. All the man wants to do is play ball. The sports media is over this like flys on shit because this is pretty much a soap opera in the sports world, and they are going to profit off of this. So before you all point the finger at favre sayign hes just a attention craving drama queen, you should really consider the context of the situation.

Anakonda69
07-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Wish he would have played, I still think he come back for one more season....

But i do get a kik out of all you guys saying he is a drama queen and only wants attention.... since he retired from GB, how many interviews has he done? How many times have you seen him go on national TV and bitch about how things turned out. All the man wants to do is play ball. The sports media is over this like flys on shit because this is pretty much a soap opera in the sports world, and they are going to profit off of this. So before you all point the finger at favre sayign hes just a attention craving drama queen, you should really consider the context of the situation.

couldn't have said it better myself.

Karps TA
07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Exactly. It's not Farve's fault the media can't let it go. Shit Junior Seau's has "retired" a couple times and came back without any of this constant news coverage.

20 years ago we'd never know any of this crap.

Reverend Cooper
07-29-2009, 07:44 AM
listen up all you packer fans. stop hatin-when he was in green bay you all loved him. now he sucks cuz your all just haterz lolololol

Car Guy
07-29-2009, 08:23 AM
listen up all you packer fans. stop hatin-when he was in green bay you all loved him. now he sucks cuz your all just haterz lolololol

That made not one bit of sense.....:alcoholic

Anakonda69
07-29-2009, 11:26 AM
i haven't lost any love for him. i know whats it like letting go of the game and i only did it for recreation. i still haven't let go of it fully and stay away from it. i am physically able to play but other priorities have taken over my life and can't afford to get hurt again. it's not easy to leave. especially cuz he has done this his whole life.

Yooformula
07-29-2009, 11:30 AM

actually prior to his last year at GB, damm near all Packer fans wanted him gone because of how bad he was playing. He had another good year then he was a god again with the fans. I agree though this time I havent seen him do a single interview but last time he was on sportcenter/news quite a few times doing interviews trying to stir the pot.

Holeshot
07-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Vicodens make anyone a emotional crying bitch !!!

Nix
08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9922912/The-vibe-at-Vikings-camp:-Favre-could-come-back

Why won't he DIE!!! Hes not human!! :rolf :rolf

jbiscuit
08-17-2009, 03:09 PM
thata boy!!! Glad to see he is stirring things up again! I want him to play, get hurt and be FORCED to be done. :rolf

Nix
08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
thata boy!!! Glad to see he is stirring things up again! I want him to play, get hurt and be FORCED to be done. :rolf

I fucking agree. I like Favre, but this is fucking pathetic. It has been for some time. GEEEEEeZZZZEEEEEEEE.............. :rolleyes:

Karps TA
08-17-2009, 03:22 PM
He is not doing a damn thing. People just won't let the story die.

If Favre had a press conference saying so, then everyone has a right to bitch. But people are just giving OPINIONS now and it makes the news.

Who cares? The media needs to shut their damn holes unless there is something to actually report on.

Nix
08-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Who cares?

I care damn it all! I want him to play very much, I would enjoy another year or two of wathcing Favre play. :)

Karps TA
08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
I'd like to see him play as well. But this crap where the media makes things up and Favre takes all the blame is getting crazy. I wish they'd just leave it alone until he actually does something.

Nix
08-17-2009, 08:17 PM
I'd like to see him play as well. But this crap where the media makes things up and Favre takes all the blame is getting crazy. I wish they'd just leave it alone until he actually does something.

I can totally agree with that. As the old saying goes, "Time will tell"

Karps TA
08-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Guess maybe it's true. We'll see. I hope so.

Nix
08-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Also Minnesota stations radio and news are reporting that if all goes to plan that Favre will be signed by the end of the day.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9952492/Glazer:-Vikings-players-say-Favre-could-sign-Tuesday