PDA

View Full Version : Some vids from last weekend at Gingerman

WhatsADSM
07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
So I had my first road racing experience and I'm hooked. It was a total blast.

I went out to Gingerman in Michigan for WMHM9. For the first day I was with an instructor the entire day who also owned a 240. It was great to have him there instructing me on the lines and helping me consistently get better and better.

As for the videos... Here is the first one. It is taken from my car (240sx) and YES I KNOW THE CAMERA MOUNT IS TOO LOW. You kind of get the idea. Mostly due to my car (and a little to my improving skills) I got bumped from Beginner to Intermediate II. What was very cool about that was I had a buddy that I went with that has an LS1 powered FC3S (Late 80s RX7) that was just kicking ass and taking names in the Intermediate II group. So finally I could jump in there and at least give him a run for his money.

So for the first lap or so I am in front of him, with him chasing. My car is an animal on the straights, yet he is a better driver with a more balanced powerband. So it was interesting to say the least. There was no way he was going to get around me, but I felt like I was holding him up on some turns where he was just a much better driver. So you will see me let him by (the white RX7).

I then chase him.... and well, I got a little tail happy on turn 2 and you will have to watch to see what happens. It's good I promise. :rolf What is even cooler is that I did this RIGHT in front of the grandstands with a bunch people watching. :rolf

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/heimbo/?action=view&current=Movie.flv

I got black flagged for that one, and here is my next session out where I take it a little easier. Here you are have an awesome camera/telemetry setup on a STI. He grids behind me. The first lap we take it easy to warm everything up and then have at it. Again I had a considerable horsepower advantage on the chase car but he was a much better driver, so I figure like my buddy I would just let him by.

I was actually very happy because after I let the STI by I kept my distance until the end of the session and ended right behind him. :thumbsup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXY-K7vMokc&fmt=22

lilws6
07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
where is gingerman? I'de like to take my T/A out once just to see how she does

pnad
07-28-2009, 12:44 PM
For the love of god stop shaking that shifter! :)

WhatsADSM
07-28-2009, 01:05 PM
where is gingerman? I'de like to take my T/A out once just to see how she does

South Haven, MI.

It is probably the least expensive track around here. Personally if you haven't road raced before I would recommend going with some group that offers instructors to beginners.

For the love of god stop shaking that shifter! :)

Habit.

Figure this is the first time ever out on my own, I bumped up 2 classes, chasing my friend around and just spun off track, and the car died. The adrenaline was pumping for sure, and to be honest it's kind of a like a nervous twitch or something. :confused

TURTLE
07-28-2009, 05:53 PM
looks great murray! so i guess the big bear alignment worked ;)

if you come up to RA in october, ask me for a ride, and i can give you a few pointers to help you go a little faster... then ride with ssmike, and he'll make you faster yet!

WhatsADSM
07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
looks great murray! so i guess the big bear alignment worked ;)

if you come up to RA in october, ask me for a ride, and i can give you a few pointers to help you go a little faster... then ride with ssmike, and he'll make you faster yet!

Yea if I make it out to RA, I'll definately take a ride. The driver was definately the weakest link.

As for the the alignment/corner balance it was definately a help! To be honest the suspension did pretty well no real complaints there... and even though my tires aren't then best for road racing they were not the limiting factor. I found a few things I gotta fix before I go back out. Here is the list I got going:

1) REAR DIFFERENTIAL!! Most of the time I was a one tire fire out there :fire Diff works fine for a drag but terrible once the wheel is turned.
2) Oil cooler. Nothing more to say there... My pressures were a little lower than I wanted them to be with the oil baking in there, so I imagine it was pretty hot.
3) New PS pump and PS cooler. Boiled the fluid, killed the pump, however funny enough it was still working. :confused
4) Swap out trans with the one sitting here. My current trans is really on its way out.

Other stuff I really should do (but probably wont have $$ for till next year):
5) 8k springs on the coilovers up front. Between the RB and not having a sway bar up there I def need some stiffer springs.
6) Camber was okay in the back, and double wishbone back there helps a lot. However, up front I should add another degree or so since it only has static camber.
7) Smaller turbo!! What I got now is just way to big for a road coarse. Gotta get something smaller, like 35r sized. I can still keep my straight line performance on something that sized, and having the spool a little lower in the RPM band will make my cars powerband a real force to be reckoned with.
8) Tires. I wont go to R-comps because it will just mask my bad driving. Instead I'll just move up slightly to something like a Star Spec, NT05, XS, etc. where they are king of the street tires, yet wont let me do anything too stupid.
9) Minor tuning stuff. I gotta get off my ass and get a fast reacting IAT in there. The current sensor is kind of a joke for a speed density setup.

TURTLE
07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Yea if I make it out to RA, I'll definately take a ride. The driver was definately the weakest link.

As for the the alignment/corner balance it was definately a help! To be honest the suspension did pretty well no real complaints there... and even though my tires aren't then best for road racing they were not the limiting factor. I found a few things I gotta fix before I go back out. Here is the list I got going:

1) REAR DIFFERENTIAL!! Most of the time I was a one tire fire out there :fire Diff works fine for a drag but terrible once the wheel is turned.
2) Oil cooler. Nothing more to say there... My pressures were a little lower than I wanted them to be with the oil baking in there, so I imagine it was pretty hot.
3) New PS pump and PS cooler. Boiled the fluid, killed the pump, however funny enough it was still working. :confused
4) Swap out trans with the one sitting here. My current trans is really on its way out.

Other stuff I really should do (but probably wont have $$ for till next year):
5) 8k springs on the coilovers up front. Between the RB and not having a sway bar up there I def need some stiffer springs.
6) Camber was okay in the back, and double wishbone back there helps a lot. However, up front I should add another degree or so since it only has static camber.
7) Smaller turbo!! What I got now is just way to big for a road coarse. Gotta get something smaller, like 35r sized. I can still keep my straight line performance on something that sized, and having the spool a little lower in the RPM band will make my cars powerband a real force to be reckoned with.
8) Tires. I wont go to R-comps because it will just mask my bad driving. Instead I'll just move up slightly to something like a Star Spec, NT05, XS, etc. where they are king of the street tires, yet wont let me do anything too stupid.
9) Minor tuning stuff. I gotta get off my ass and get a fast reacting IAT in there. The current sensor is kind of a joke for a speed density setup.

when it comes time for tires, ya know where to come and who to ask the questions to... and if ya need any help tuning the suspension, i may know a thing or 2 when it comes to that... :goof

i can say honestly, as fun as it is for me to go down the 1/4 mile, auto-x and road racing is what gets my blood pumping from here on out!