PDA

View Full Version : Important Trans 123 info!!! Car collectors/hobbyiest need to read!!

Yooformula
07-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Copied from BCSM..Note that although it currently states military vehicles, it is open worded that would the state to use whatever discretion they chose to select vehicles to deny a valid title/registration to. This is the proverbial "FOOT IN THE DOOR".

A pending State of Wisconsin administrative rule proposal will affect the registration or non registration of pre 1968 vehicles.

PUBLIC HEARING

JULY 29,2009 (Wed.) 10:00 am
Hill Farms State Trans Building
4802 Sheboygan Ave
Madison
Room 254

Attend the hearing and find out the specifics of Ch. Trans 123.
To determine your local representative to Wisconsin Government
Call 1-800-362-9472

Keep the name and number so you can express your non support or support of the proposal.

Go to Hot Rod Radio for more updates:
http://www.wisconsinhotrodradio.com/

Trans 123 seek remove from usage many vehicles currently operated legally and safely in WI due to being classified as NON CONFORMING to a 1968 vehicle safety act. The first target of this proposed legislation is Historic Military Vehicles (HMV). Please help us continue to honor and memorized the veterans who used these vehicles my allowing them to "keep rolling" in parades such as the 4th of July parades, Veterans Day parades, events to raise funds at VFW, American Legion post, other civic events state wide.

This does NOT stop at HMVs it targets many of the "custom" cars that are currently operated, like seeing the 57's Chevys, custom mustangs, kit cars etc? Well these are targeted also as they could be deemed "NON CONFORMING".

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ALERT ABOUT YOUR MILITARY VEHICLE

Some of you already know that the State DOT has proposed a new law that eliminates many Historic Military Vehicles from WI. I’m sending this out to everyone we know and asking (begging) you and your fellow collectors to get involved!!!! Please pass this on to every car and truck collector you know. Tell the veterans groups we parade with, Tell the schools we display for, tell the municipal parade organizers we support.

Briefly, the WI DOT has issued a proposal called “Trans 123”. It seeks to restrict or eliminate specialty and collector vehicles from WI roads.

We are urging everyone with an interest in the old car hobby to attend the hearing next Wed in Madison and to call their legislators to oppose Trans 123 in its current format.

Collectors with pre 1968 vehicles need to help too. This will BAN many collector and hobbyist vehicles.

Call your legislators and tell them we oppose the Trans 123 proposal for four reasons.

1) It seeks to define ANY vehicle made after 1968 that is not 100% compliant with the NHTSA, as designed for “off road” only. This is too broad and will eliminate many collector vehicles in the Hobbyist or Historic Military vehicle groups.

2) The proposal is far too broad and seeks to provide a single broad definition that affects too many collector situations

3) The proposal wording is very difficult to read or understand.

4) The proposal seeks to provide for public safety, but bans many post 1968 vehicles including Historic Military vehicles. These HMV’s have been legally registered and operated by collectors in WI since 1968 with no significant traffic safety issues that would support any call by the public to ban them.

There is a hearing on this NEXT WEEK WEDNESDAY 7/29/2009 in Madison see the attached.. They are trying to slide this in under the radar..!!!

Here is the link to the details of the proposal and the hearing.

Relating to Grounds for Refusing Registration: http://apps.dhfs.state.wi.us/admrules/public/Rmo?nRmoId=4183

Don' know who your Representitives are?

Call Toll-free: 1-800-362-9472 to find out or

http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

You can also search on WI TRANS 123 for more information.

Please get the word out. We need to at least get this slowed down and let more people have input. Call your legislators and get them involved. Tell them we need their help to voice opposition to this rule for the 4 reasons.

For more details please contact either myself of our key person Jeff Rowsam

Denmark, WI 54208

Home 920 863 8656

Cell 920 562 5776

jerowsam@centurytel.net

jbiscuit
07-29-2009, 04:00 PM
just read on the HAMB that there were over 60 people that showed up for the public hearing in a room that sat 12. It got their attention for sure...more info to come

lordairgtar
07-29-2009, 08:41 PM
I was at the meeting and the street rod/collector car contingent was well represented. It seems this Trans 123 thing started because of the lack of ability on the DOT and DMV to classify what a Pinzgauer was. There are 26 such vehicles in the state and all registrations are on hold or not being allowed because the state thinks these are strictly off road only vehicles. My boss owns a couple of HMVs and I got to go and be paid at the same time. Yay me!!! Mr Nilson, the person representing the DOT asked us to define what a off road vehicle was and many examples were given, and I just said that the HMVs were on road vehicles with off road capabilities just like any modern SUV with four wheel drive. I cannot fathom how the DOT and the DMV cannot figure these things out. The above mentioned Pinzgauers were and are imported into the country under a provision that allows such used vehicles to be imported...there are companies that do this. It was hard for me to understand why they picked on this particular group and wrote this with such vague wording. Trans 305 already addresses such vehicles. Another claim was that HMVs might not have NSHTA or other juridiction defining them. Federal rules indicate that the military may sell old vehicles to the public after their use is over and then they are able to be licensed for road use. The HMVs tend not to have standard 17 character VIN #s and this also caused problems for the state. Seems the computer can't identify the VIN. With all the power and might the state has, you would think they could fix this instead of creating more stupid rules making it hard to license.

Rocket Power
07-30-2009, 03:40 AM
the 17 char vin excuse is beyond lame. the VIN in my 64 is only like 10 char, and I believe they were only using 13 char vin in to the 80's.

I think Pinzgauer's are neat looking vehicles and should be allowed and come on they are going to make a new rule/law about 26 vehicles.:rolleyes: I bet I could find 26 vehicles that shouldn't be allowed on the road if I stood on greenfield ave for an hour :goof

CannotPost
07-30-2009, 08:14 AM
I bet I could find 26 vehicles that shouldn't be allowed on the road if I stood on greenfield ave for an hour :goof

Right!? That is what makes this legislation so strange. There 1000's of mid 80's cars that are so crappy they are far more dangerous.

jbiscuit
10-16-2009, 09:18 AM
update:

I received an update letter from State Senator Jim Sullivan in the mail yesterday as a follow-up to the first generic letter I got from him. It says that he is on the committee that will be working with and handling this proposal as it turns out. He did in fact state in the letter that there is reason for concern as a classic car owner and he wants to make sure he gets to the root of the legislation to find all the facts. He has reviewed the proposal and offered to discuss possible concerns I should have either in person or by phone at my convenience. He also said he would continue to update me as this moves forward.

Trans 123 is still very much alive, as his letter was dated October 12.

Just an update...although not a good one I'm affraid :(

I will try to get some time with the senator to pick his brain and get his thoughts on the proposal...if I can get into his office, I'll try and get at least a conference call or something.

lordairgtar
10-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the update, JB. Keep us informed. Looks like I get to convince the boss on another paid trip to Madison.

GTSLOW
10-16-2009, 06:26 PM
I can't see how in the hell this would go thru.

lordairgtar
10-17-2009, 01:26 AM
I can't see how in the hell this would go thru.
You'd be surprised.