PDA

View Full Version : Home owners insurance

pOrk
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Its FINALLY going through, thank goodness. One last step before closing is insurance, I'm waiting on Am Fam for a quote but would like to avoid there if possible. Who does everyone here use and what kinda money am I looking at?

0TransAm0
07-27-2009, 03:25 PM
i was also going to ask about what it cost...i have yet to get any quote's tho.. my realter said its usually between 50-100 a month..depending on cost of home and coverage.

p0rk we also found another house and put an offer on it yesterday..Thanks again for the iinfo. it helped TONS!

4eyedstang
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I am going thru Progressive and i found them to be pretty cheap.
i have to buy one full year of insurance before closing because its a FHA loan
and it only cost $350 but the house I'm buying is only 70k.

pOrk
07-27-2009, 04:18 PM
i was also going to ask about what it cost...i have yet to get any quote's tho.. my realter said its usually between 50-100 a month..depending on cost of home and coverage.

p0rk we also found another house and put an offer on it yesterday..Thanks again for the iinfo. it helped TONS!

Isn't that site GREAT? Its rediculous that there isn't a service similar to that that consumers are allowed to use. Glad it helped, thats how I found my home :thumbsup

I am going thru Progressive and i found them to be pretty cheap.
i have to buy one full year of insurance before closing because its a FHA loan
and it only cost $350 but the house I'm buying is only 70k.

Progressive has home owners insurance? That would work out great since thats who my auto coverage is through. Did you shop around before deciding to unsure with them?

07ROUSHSTG3
07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
if i remember right, i pay just under $300 per year through American Family for my main residence. i think i have $300,000 of coverage. my up north place is under $200 a year, that i only have $150,000 of coverage.

pOrk
07-27-2009, 04:23 PM
if i remember right, i pay just under $300 per year through American Family for my main residence. i think i have $300,000 of coverage. my up north place is under $200 a year, that i only have $150,000 of coverage.

Do you have all your stuff insured through AM Fam? I'm wondering if it makes a difference, I have my car insurance through Progressive because its the cheapest. They only go back 3 years on your driving record, where Am Fam goes back 5 years ( Not good for me ).

07ROUSHSTG3
07-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Do you have all your stuff insured through AM Fam? I'm wondering if it makes a difference, I have my car insurance through Progressive because its the cheapest. They only go back 3 years on your driving record, where Am Fam goes back 5 years ( Not good for me ).

yeah i have everything through them. 2 houses, 3 fully insured vehicles, a fully insured snowmobile, a fully insured ATV, and an insured wife. i would think it would make a difference. usually discounts are pretty sizeable if insuring your car and auto through the same place. i think that i could find someone a bit cheaper, but have been to lazy to call around. not really digging coming up with that huge first payment for everything. haven't had a problem with American Family, so i am content for now. if i had to go somewhere else, i would probably try State Farm first. from what i have seen, seems like they are very competitive when it comes to price.

SSDude
07-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Avoid Am Fam like the plague.
We've been with All State for the last few years. Left State Farm for better prices. Shop the package of house and cars as you get discounts when you have both at one company.
Had Am Fam for 25 years with no claims. As soon as we had three claims in two years they shanked us. Fuk them.

You can save by taking a $1000 deductible with the house. Any claim under $1k is a nuisance claim and with to many small claims you'll see your rates go up.

4eyedstang
07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Progressive has home owners insurance? That would work out great since thats who my auto coverage is through. Did you shop around before deciding to unsure with them?[/quote]

yes i did shop around and progressive was by far the least expensive for the same coverage

JC70SS
07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
pm me my brother is a broker and has many companies to work with.

pOrk
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Progressive wants 657/year for home owners insurance. I'm obviously hoping for a better price then that, since that seems high for a sub-100k dollar house.

4eyedstang
07-27-2009, 05:47 PM
good luck :thumbsup

and congrats on the new home purchase. hope every thing works out for ya.

pOrk
07-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks :) I'm nervous but excited at the same time, hopefully it goes as planned and I am moved in mid August.

awsomeears
07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Eric make sure you have or can purchase Sewer Back up insurance !!!

If your insurance doesn't offer it change insurance :thumbsup

I have customers that got there ass rapped when the June floods came and there sewer backed up.

DO IT !!!

Matchew
07-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Pork Call up TCA 262-783-7060 ask for leighann if she not there leave a Message with your info! just Make sure she working the day you call.

When you talk to her tell her that "Matt the Serial Killer Neighbor" refured ya to her. She will know who it is. lol She Great she found me the best deals and was able to set it up quick on a short deadline.

05caddyext
07-28-2009, 08:16 AM
That progressive quote is $55 a month, how is that too expensive? Thats cheap.

Yooformula
07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
we use Sentry insurance for the home/2-autos. They also allowed me to insure my vehicle plus all of the mods done to it and we pay $8xx a year(in Milwaukee).

Holeshot
07-28-2009, 08:51 AM
I have AM now but am considering changing. Everything is insured with them but I think I can do better. My home owners with sewer back up / sump pump failure and replacement value runs 500 a year with a 500 deductible .

jbiscuit
07-28-2009, 08:59 AM
you guys are getting bent over :rolf I pay $350 annually through Travelers. Things like how close a fire department is, fire hydrant etc make a big difference on your yearly rate. I have my autos through them also so discounts aplenty.

Holeshot
07-28-2009, 09:02 AM
you guys are getting bent over :rolf I pay $350 annually through Travelers. Things like how close a fire department is, fire hydrant etc make a big difference on your yearly rate. I have my autos through them also so discounts aplenty.

I guess. Hydrant is two houses down and the FD is a block and a half away. Would take longer for then to get dress then to get here.

nitrous
07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Wow, we pay $190/year for $250,000 currently and has gone down ~$20/year on average. We use State Farm, but I also have them for all our insurance policies and my family has been with them for nearly 30 years.

Yooformula
07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
keep in mind your city/county have a BIG impact on your rates.

pOrk
07-28-2009, 03:02 PM
State Farm says 630 a year, I guess I'm gonna have to pay up. Just waiting on AmFam now

Quick96ss
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=pOrk;564162]Isn't that site GREAT? Its rediculous that there isn't a service similar to that that consumers are allowed to use. Glad it helped, thats how I found my home :thumbsup

What site are you referring to? Iam also in the market for buying a house!

SSDude
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
State Farm says 630 a year, I guess I'm gonna have to pay up. Just waiting on AmFam now

Call the Allstate agent on Hwy100 & Beloit. $397 for the year in lovely Stallis
They did good things with our auto rates as well
Mark Riches
3793 S 108th St
Milwaukee, WI 53228-1207
(414) 546-4550

Moparjim
07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Everyone's situation is different, but for me I cannot recommend State Farm highly enough. I was with Allstate for many many years, and had occasionally gotten quotes from everywhere ranging from Geico to alledgely cheaper insurance plans at work, to Haggerty (for collectors insurance) to whatever. Last year I finally stumbled into getting a quote from State Farm after I got a random mailing.

State Farm was no lie about 1/2-2/3 the cost of anywhere else on my regular autos, home, ATVs, motorcycles. They were ONE_FOURTH the cost of anywhere else on my collector cars.

For examples, for $100K "collector" stated value insurance on my Viper, Allstate, Haggerty, Grundy, all wanted like $2200 a year. State Farm - around $600.

My Trailduster, for $15K "collector" stated value insurance I pay like $20 a year lol.

MY 17 year old daughter, 100/300K liability is only like $400 a year. Everyplace else was around $1000.

Ricky Bobby
07-28-2009, 10:34 PM
I guess. Hydrant is two houses down and the FD is a block and a half away. Would take longer for then to get dress then to get here.

same here on 92nd coldspring lol

wrath
07-29-2009, 07:23 AM
State Farm is great until you have to make a claim. After they screwed all the people down south I got rid of them.

pOrk
07-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Am Fam got back to me with 486 bucks a year / 38 a month on my auto. I went with them. I am pretty surprised to see how expensive the rate is for me, possibly because its my first time insuring a property? I never had renters insurance or any of that...

jbiscuit
07-29-2009, 09:00 AM
area, proximity of fire department to home, fire hydrant distance from your doorstep, whether or not you have a pool, home security system etc etc

07ROUSHSTG3
07-29-2009, 09:09 AM
area, proximity of fire department to home, fire hydrant distance from your doorstep, whether or not you have a pool, home security system etc etc

yeah, there are a lot of factors. like i said, i have american family and have not had any issues. my agent is awesome to deal with and i haven't had but one claim since i have been with them, and that was on my snowmobile last year.

pOrk
07-29-2009, 09:17 AM

I'm less then a mile from the fire department, no pool, firehydrant one house away, etc. There is no reason for my rates to be so high.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm less then a mile from the fire department, no pool, firehydrant one house away, etc. There is no reason for my rates to be so high.

how old are you? what is your driving record like? have you had rentors insurance before? how old is your home? are you in a flood plain? is there an attached garage?