PDA

View Full Version : Cash for clunkers

Plum Crazy
07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Well, Palmen Motors lauched it today, we took in over a dozen cars and i found out that we have to lock up the motors before they are towed to a junkyard. We have to drain the oil, drive it outside(with no oil in it) pour in something called "liquid glass" rev the engine to 2000 RPM for 7-12 Mins and maintain 2000 RPM. then wait 1 hr if the motor didnt seize already, and see if it will start, if it does, let it run some more, if it doesnt start, you put on some fancy sticker on the motor and you are done.

michelle
07-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Well that bites.

-stew-
07-25-2009, 07:19 PM
that sounds fun!

Rocket Power
07-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Does this make it unrebuildable or just unrunable as is ?

pOrk
07-25-2009, 08:24 PM
WHAT? This sounds like a joke, lets totally destroy something that could be recycled / reused. I thought Obama was one of those GREEN PEACE fuck bags.

domokun
07-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I agree with pork. why destroy something that still runs?

people could use those motors and transmissions in their cars..Fin lame!

lets have something sit in a junkyard not being used...real smart..

stealthy1ss
07-25-2009, 08:41 PM
What happens with the cars is they are crushed right away and then recycled.

Plum Crazy
07-25-2009, 08:46 PM
What happens with the cars is they are crushed right away and then recycled.

yup, the govt wants to make sure the dealer doesnt resell them. From what i heard, the liquid glass stuff destroys the motor, so its junk. You guys dont want any of these cars, unless you are into rusted out junkers.

pOrk
07-25-2009, 08:56 PM
I love rusted out junkers.

Plum Crazy
07-25-2009, 09:01 PM
I love rusted out junkers.

its a hell of a deal, atleast at the chrysler dealers, they are matching what you get up to the 4500 bucks. Thats 9k off the sticker.

84hurst
07-26-2009, 12:52 AM
No joke, I heard about it today. I guess they don't want junkyards helping keep junkers on the road. I guess it makes sense, kinda, but ruining a perfectly good motor sounds kinda dumb...

Car Guy
07-26-2009, 01:12 AM
I'd be willing to bet $$$ that most of those engines wouldn't qualify as 'perfectly fine' to begin with.....:shades

pOrk
07-26-2009, 09:24 AM
I'd be willing to bet $$$ that most of those engines wouldn't qualify as 'perfectly fine' to begin with.....:shades

Lisa's Blazer runs like a top and we are considering trading it up for something newer. It is rust free too, but its not worth anything since its 2wd.

Plum Crazy
07-26-2009, 11:16 AM
you guys have to read the fine print though, i know we addressed the insurance issue already(moparjims thread) but also, you have to trade up on fuel economy, the poorer the gas milage on the new car compaired to the old car is what determines how much you get from the govt towards the new car. Here is the link to the site.

http://www.cars.gov/

Moparjim
07-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Per the new NHTSA "rule" released Friday, the reason for destroying the engines is they

"don't want the poor fuel efficient components, mainly the engine, returning to use"

The rest of the car can indeed be salvaged, just not the engine block.

pOrk
07-26-2009, 11:24 AM
New vehicle has to get 10+mpg better to get 4500, 6-10 better for 3500 bucks.

lordairgtar
07-26-2009, 05:58 PM
I've been toying with the idea to create a service org that provides decent running cars to people who need a helping hand to get to jobs. This government plan kind of makes it hard. I wanted to emulate Good News Garage out East. They fix up cars or obtain cars to provide transportation to low income people like single parents who need to get to work reliably. A lot of these so-called clunkers may still be serviceable. Why destroy perfectly good engines because of some mis-guided attempt to get rid of cars that may not be fuel efficient in the eyes of the government. I appreciated the help I got in getting a reliable car when i was in dire straights. I have given cars away when I had an extra car and I found someone who could get good use of it. I'd like to do this on a regular basis.

Karps TA
07-26-2009, 06:06 PM
If the dealership gets too busy can you just take the car to a quick change oil place and let them ruin the engine?

Sprayaway Fox
07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
If you plan on keeping your ride for a while and working on the same engine you better hoard a couple blocks and heads or you will be fugged in 10 years.

pw_cc_runner
07-26-2009, 07:32 PM
I find this extremely frustrating. I do not even know what to say. The only thing I have on my side is that the Probe GT averages a combined 24 mpg.

Karps TA
07-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Somehow I doubt people are trading in shit anybody would ever want. My guess is GM wise a whole bunch of 2.8/3.1, 307's, Iron Dukes, etc...

It's not like rare Hemi's and shit are being used for this program.

PB86MCSS
07-26-2009, 07:40 PM
This plan is only going until November, IIRC, so I think people should be safe from needing to hoard engines or parts for their cars.

Waver
07-26-2009, 10:27 PM
This plan is only going until November, IIRC, so I think people should be safe from needing to hoard engines or parts for their cars.

or sooner, depending on how quickly they hit the 1 billion cap.

84hurst
07-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Somehow I doubt people are trading in shit anybody would ever want.

Well, my '94 GMC Jimmy runs and drives like a new one. Outside is a little rusty (front fenders) but the leather interior is near mint, heat works great and 4x4 works perfect. Its only worth prolly $1200 but I would think it would make a great winter beater for anyone. Why crush this perfectly good truck? Yeah the gas mileage sucks but it only gets drivin prolly 3-4 mo a year though too. My Camaro is worth about $3500 - $4000 but I don't wanna see it destroyed either. My cousins 97 GTP has only 65k and its mint. Prolly worth 4k. Is that worth crushing? Not in my opinion.

scaleracer
07-27-2009, 06:14 PM
This whole thing is BS! All the old stuff and v8 stuff is going and the future is going to be "earth friendly bs" as far as I can tell..
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/forum/government-s-cash-clunkers-cocktail-kill-2994.html

lordairgtar
07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
This whole thing is BS! All the old stuff and v8 stuff is going and the future is going to be "earth friendly bs" as far as I can tell..
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/forum/government-s-cash-clunkers-cocktail-kill-2994.html
That's kinda like partial birth abortion for cars.

nitrous
07-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I refuse to support such government programs. I'd rather keep my rusty '89 Jeep I6 with 179k. Chances are it would have less problems than a new car anyways.

Exitspeed
07-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, my '94 GMC Jimmy runs and drives like a new one. Outside is a little rusty (front fenders) but the leather interior is near mint, heat works great and 4x4 works perfect. Its only worth prolly $1200 but I would think it would make a great winter beater for anyone. Why crush this perfectly good truck? Yeah the gas mileage sucks but it only gets drivin prolly 3-4 mo a year though too. My Camaro is worth about $3500 - $4000 but I don't wanna see it destroyed either. My cousins 97 GTP has only 65k and its mint. Prolly worth 4k. Is that worth crushing? Not in my opinion.

So keep'em. I don't get what you are complaining about. It's not like they are making you turn those cars in.

And the amount of cars we are talking about here is minimal. There will still be plenty of POS cars for people to fix up down the road.

People have the right to scrap THEIR old car if they want.

On top of this, dealers are saying this is creating a huge boost in traffic and sales. It worked in Europe where they saw a 30% increase in sales. Dealers would be happy to see a 15% increase in sales right now. Even if only for a short time.

Flicktitty
07-28-2009, 10:47 AM
i really wish i knew about the "car had to be registered for 1 year to you to get the deal" or else i wouldn't have sold my truck last month i would have traded that in on a cube and not tried getting rid of the explorer i got 6 months ago....grrrrrrrrrr

Exitspeed
07-28-2009, 10:50 AM
i really wish i knew about the "car had to be registered for 1 year to you to get the deal" or else i wouldn't have sold my truck last month i would have traded that in on a cube and not tried getting rid of the explorer i got 6 months ago....grrrrrrrrrr

That woulda been a good buy.

Flicktitty
07-28-2009, 10:51 AM
yes it would have, i'm still considering picking one up.

Karps TA
07-28-2009, 10:53 AM
So keep'em. I don't get what you are complaining about. It's not like they are making you turn those cars in.

And the amount of cars we are talking about here is minimal. There will still be plenty of POS cars for people to fix up down the road.

People have the right to scrap THEIR old car if they want.

On top of this, dealers are saying this is creating a huge boost in traffic and sales. It worked in Europe where they saw a 30% increase in sales. Dealers would be happy to see a 15% increase in sales right now. Even if only for a short time.

Exactly.

The world being rid of a bunch of 88 Cutlass Ciera's or Grand Am's, or Chrysler Lebarons is not that bad of a thing.

If this gives some people an incentive to spend some money, buy some cars, get something with better mileage (allowing me to keep my toys) I'm all for it. If a couple nicer cars happen to get junked due to this, well sacrifice one for many. It's not like somebody is turning in Yenko Camaros, or Shelby Mustangs.

Exitspeed
07-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Exactly.

The world being rid of a bunch of 88 Cutlass Ciera's or Grand Am's, or Chrysler Lebarons is not that bad of a thing.

If this gives some people an incentive to spend some money, buy some cars, get something with better mileage (allowing me to keep my toys) I'm all for it. If a couple nicer cars happen to get junked due to this, well sacrifice one for many. It's not like somebody is turning in Yenko Camaros, or Shelby Mustangs.

LOL. No shit.

And even if some decent cars get junked like you said, all it does is make the remaining vehicles worth a little more.

Man you guys should see how the 240 community is. Those cars are getting totaled at crazy rates. If they stay popular for another 5 years or so there's going to be very few left 20 years from now. Fine with me. :thumbsup