PDA

View Full Version : Sell or not to sell?

lilws6
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Lately i've been thinking about selling the Trans Am. When i bought it i had every intention of making it a race car and keeping it forever. Now as is sits in the garage more then anything else i'm thinking about selling it and getting a more economical and family friendly race car. So i've been looking for a mitsu evo. I found one in racine so i went to look at it today they want $15,000 for an 03 with 93,000 miles. I thought steep to begin with then i went to look at it. the clear coat on the CF parts of the wing is junk! the brembo calipers are way faded. All the rims are curb rashed. And it really needs a good buff job. The interior is really clean. Looks to have an exhaust. Now i don't know what these are worth and i really don't know what my car is worth either.
I was thinking if i was to offer for the evo it would be no more then $13,500 cuz a spoiler and wheels would cost enough to mayeb get the price dropped. Heres one picture of it.
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2009/6/27/264/357/12106125677.264357237.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
I wish i would have taken my camera with. So anyone have any advice or convincing words to help me decide? I'm torn between the two

Exitspeed
07-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Buy a G35 instead.

Or yea more like $13k.

xFullThrottlex
07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd keep the t/a

WhatsADSM
07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I dunno if it is more economical. But it is definately more family practical with 4 doors, and handles a lot better too.

If you do decide to get the EVO. Definitely spend a lot of time checking it out, because basically every one of them has been modded. Make sure it was done well and not totally beat on.

Karps TA
07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
If making a choice between your TA or that, I'd keep the TA 7 days a weeks and twice on Sunday. I just don't like that boy racer look. Not my thing.

Now a G35, I could see dumping the TA for that.

lilws6
07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
The car fax shows alot of maint. done for the first owner and the second owner owned it for 7 months probably the one that modified it. I was trying to find an unmolested one but is very hard to do. Is there any problems i should look for in an evo if i do decide that direction

lilws6
07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2009/4/23/261/538/11341749938.261538084.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Or i found this one few thousand more miles but cheaper and way cleaner looking

domokun
07-22-2009, 02:11 PM
that black one from racine ( strutevant ) was BEAT by the dealership owner / workers ( I seen him WOTing it down the i94 and hwy 11 )

just to give you a HUGE forewarning. after being in the evo world for 2 years. its VERY expensive even on a stock car

( tires, brakes, fluids for the trans, tcase, rear ) then if parts break....be ready.

otherwise, the car is a blast!

Irish
07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
that black one from racine ( strutevant ) was BEAT by the dealership owner / workers ( I seen him WOTing it down the i94 and hwy 11 )

just to give you a HUGE forewarning. after being in the evo world for 2 years. its VERY expensive even on a stock car

( tires, brakes, fluids for the trans, tcase, rear ) then if parts break....be ready.

That is an awesome heads up! Doesn't get any clearer than that! :thumbsup

Exitspeed
07-22-2009, 02:30 PM

That was my main reason why I decided to take an Evo off my short list for a fun Daily. 95% of them are beat on and 97% of them are modded with at LEAST intake an exhaust.

This is why a G35 is still my number one. Fun to drive, great power and chassis, nice and dependable, looks hot, and most are driven by dudes that could care less about driving fast.

lilws6
07-22-2009, 02:45 PM
sweet i'll take the black one off my list of cars

domokun
07-22-2009, 03:04 PM
you CAN find nice unmolested evo's they are rare, but possible

I personally refer the evo close to bulletproof with BASIC mods ( intake, exhaust, tune )

as long as they dont drop the clutch like crazy...then you have a good change of a bad tcase ( 1000 for a used one, 1700 for a john sheppard tcase ) but toss in a exedy HD clutch ( 2k )

0TransAm0
07-22-2009, 03:57 PM
my brother that got his evo from cali.. took him a good 6 months to find a unmolested and low milage one but he did.. ive tossed around the idea of selling my TA also but i got to much blood sweat and tears into it to get rid of it.. pay off the TA and then by a new car that way you can have the weekend warrior and the nice DD..

BAD LS1
07-22-2009, 04:34 PM
my brother that got his evo from cali.. took him a good 6 months to find a unmolested and low milage one but he did.. ive tossed around the idea of selling my TA also but i got to much blood sweat and tears into it to get rid of it.. pay off the TA and then by a new car that way you can have the weekend warrior and the nice DD..

Amen to that! Although i made that very decision with my 01' and i am going through a bit of withdrawl but also happy i dont have an 8 year old money pit anymore too. The quick DD route is where im at now and its not bad, so Don if you choose an EVO i dont think you will miss the T/A all that much other than burnouts and torque.

domokun
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Amen to that! Although i made that very decision with my 01' and i am going through a bit of withdrawl but also happy i dont have an 8 year old money pit anymore too. The quick DD route is where im at now and its not bad, so Don if you choose an EVO i dont think you will miss the T/A all that much other than burnouts and torque.

2.3 stroker, cams, tune, and 50 trim will give you enough trq ;)

Silver86
07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
why an evo and not an sti?

agent orange acr
07-22-2009, 05:15 PM
when i was looking at evo's I was really impressed by them thier quick, handle great and the 05/ 06 ssl package or the leather / suede seats are nice. I have drove 4 diferent evo's an 06 mr, 03, and 2 other 06. the maintenance is costly the tcase and the wear and tear on the tires, etc. i was going to buy one myself i was going from my camaro to an evo or sti but ended up buying an srt4 then when I was selling the srt4, again i was looking to buy an evo. another awd 4 door to look at is an sti it is slow but it has a strong trans and an awsome sound to it.

agent orange acr
07-22-2009, 05:17 PM
2.3 stroker, cams, tune, and 50 trim will give you enough trq ;)
why not a 30r ?

Beagle
07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Id get an sti over an evo but I would keep the t/a and get something decent and cheap. I know how you felt when i was debating selling my car few months ago. just keep the t/a you know you will miss it.

97z2801ss
07-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I drove my car for the 6th time this year today..... and I love it and thats why ill keep it forever.

domokun
07-22-2009, 06:15 PM
why not a 30r ?

I was just tossing a turbo out there.... 50 trim, 30r ( 750r ) 35 etc

or you can go 2.3stroker, cosworth head, jun cams, EMS, IC, exhaust, AMS intake mani, double pumper FP, and 1600cc injectors all with a TS HTA 35r :)

thats the route I took, very lil turbo lag, awesome power on q16/c16 ( tipped 700hp ) then still a blast to drive on pump

-stew-
07-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I'd keep the f-bomb, but if you dump it I'd take the STi over the Evo. STi has a cleaner look.

Sunday I got on my ZRX to leave the Home Depot, I fired the bike up, clicked it into nuetral and popped the kickstand up. As I was about to back out of my parking spot I looked up and saw a WRX across the lot. It was like the first time I heard Metallica play "One" live. I got a shiver down my spine. They say nobody does red like Ferarri. That may be trues, but nobody, *nobody* does blue like Subaru.

lilws6
07-22-2009, 09:55 PM
i love the sound of the subies but the evo would fit my budget slightly better. I can obviously do all the maint. myself. i do love everytime i drive my t/a but it just sits i think its only been out of the garage 3 times this year. I would like to have both but i do need some sort of truck for a daily driver. I have some stuff i'll be hauling. so unless i can (but won't) put a hitch on an evo i'll only be able to have one or the other.

nismodave
07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
The thing is, unless you have driven an EVO alot, you may miss the T/A after a whie.

frank_zappa_is_dead
07-22-2009, 10:41 PM
If you have the resources a G8 would be cool.

domokun
07-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I did all the maint. and installs myself too and it was still my most expensive car by far.

letsrunem
07-22-2009, 11:03 PM
ummm don't sell. lol

agent orange acr
07-22-2009, 11:05 PM
I was just tossing a turbo out there.... 50 trim, 30r ( 750r ) 35 etc

or you can go 2.3stroker, cosworth head, jun cams, EMS, IC, exhaust, AMS intake mani, double pumper FP, and 1600cc injectors all with a TS HTA 35r :)

thats the route I took, very lil turbo lag, awesome power on q16/c16 ( tipped 700hp ) then still a blast to drive on pump
I kinda assumed you just tossed it out thier, but for some reason when ever someone says go with a 50t think just go with a 30r you can get more hp out of it than a 50t. but the 50t is a good pump gas turbo.
You sure have a nice setup, but damn 1600cc injectors thats alot of fuel. I was running 750's with 30r(3076r) on my srt4. isn't the hta 35r a great turbo, i wish i would have used one on my car.

agent orange acr
07-22-2009, 11:08 PM
think nicely an evo would be a better transition from T/A to import. a sti would be a power down grade and imo they don't have the best bang for the buck modification wise.

domokun
07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
HTA 35r was a great turbo, I blew 2 up when they were in the early stages :( turbine completely cracked on both.

as you said though, 50trim is a GREAT pump gas turbo, with NO lag. great for autoX.

I got the 1600 to prepare myself for e85, but never got around to it before I sold it

lilws6
07-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Its sad but the more i look at evo's the more i acually want one. So i'm going to list the T/A for sale what do you think its worth i know what its worth to me but i probably won't get that. should i just list it and if it sells it sells if it doesn't i sit on it?

subliminal1284
07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
TA looks 100 x better than that econo box.

Irish
07-24-2009, 10:50 AM
TA looks 100 x better than that econo box.

X2

But you have to admit that the evo can easily make as much power as a t/a, while remaining a car that you can drive all year round. Tell me it wouldn't be fun to go drifting through some country roads after a few inches of snow in an evo, making decent power, wearing some bz's or hp's.

:D

Anakonda69
07-24-2009, 12:23 PM
pretty simple question here. why do you not drive the car? god i wish i had the money to just have a nice lsx f-body that i could drive all the time.

SSLEVO
07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Check out Evom.net. There are crazy deals on evos these days. I bought my 04 bone stock with 24k on it for 21,500 just last summer. I put maybe 2000 into it in parts and sold it a few months ago for 19k. It was a great car, i stupidly leased a civic for a dd and all the payments weren't letting me save much for a house so i had to let it go for now. I will own another one in a few years.

I would look into a evo IX if you can swing the price. Check my sig, thats with just bolt on parts with the crap stock VIII cams and intercooler on E85. Not bad if you ask me. Don't worry about the T-case going out like everyone says. If its a bolt on car and has been maintained you will have no problems other than the clutch after a few miles. Mine was cutting high 1.6 60' on the stock 40k mile clutch.

PM me if you have any specific questions or need an opinion on a car.

lilws6
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
i duno i don't drive the car because well really i can't comfortably fit 4 people in the T/A an evo easy fits 4 i guess i'm looking into the future. having the car for family reasons

SSLEVO
07-24-2009, 03:28 PM
The evo is a great car bit idk if i would call it a family car, it rides kind of rough for that. The woman never really liked riding it it because it rode so rough. It will work but its not something i would drive grandma around in, especially around here with the sht roads of milwaukee.

URLOZIN
07-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Don't do it!!!!!!!!! Your car is bad ass.

lilws6
07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
well the T/A doesn't exactly ride nice my gf doesn't mind the bounce

agent orange acr
07-24-2009, 04:20 PM
here is alittle info that I dug up when I was in the market fo an evo, hope this helps
EVO VIII
-No front LSD (03-04 non MR)
-No Mivec slower spool and power unless you go big turbo.
-slightly smaller turbo compressor and exhaust housings
-Less WHP than the IX.
-Interior Blue seats kind of suck compared to the IX suede
-No 2 step on factory tune but can be flashed for it during tuning.
-Fuel pump weaker than IX pump
-Does not have ACD (Active Center Diff) (some like ACD some dont care)

Evo (05) MR VIII or Evo IX
-Mitsubishi used the same transmission housing but fit an extra gear. Because of that there is not enough fluid to cool and some of the gears are weaker. For average person its ok, but with a lot of power or road racing 4th gear might be the first to break or over heat.

Evo IX 5 speed
-Stock interior radio and bezel looks too basic. But with a gauges and radio relocation it looks much better. (Both VIII and IX)
-I feel that the gearing is a bit short. (VIII 5 speed has slightly different gearing)
-No other cons but it would have been nice if the factory added a flat underbody cover.

The evo IX responds better to mods than the VIII unless you go big turbo 35R or 30R etc...

For EVO IX and VIII 2005 only
Front: Helical LSD

Anakonda69
07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
i guess i would never look at a t/a for a family car. thats why my wife drives a tb. lol just keep it. you will regret selling it.

JC70SS
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
I would say about $13k you will get for your car if milage is lower. Definately not any more.

LIL EVO
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Spoiler clear coat and caliper fade are common issues with nearly every evo. Easy to fix.

SSLEVO
07-24-2009, 07:23 PM
here is alittle info that I dug up when I was in the market fo an evo, hope this helps
EVO VIII
-No front LSD (03-04 non MR)
-slightly smaller turbo compressor and exhaust housings
-Less WHP than the IX.
-Does not have ACD (Active Center Diff) (some like ACD some dont care)

Evo (05) MR VIII or Evo IX
-Mitsubishi used the same transmission housing but fit an extra gear. Because of that there is not enough fluid to cool and some of the gears are weaker. For average person its ok, but with a lot of power or road racing 4th gear might be the first to break or over heat.

Evo IX 5 speed
-Stock interior radio and bezel looks too basic. But with a gauges and radio relocation it looks much better. (Both VIII and IX)
-I feel that the gearing is a bit short. (VIII 5 speed has slightly different gearing)
-No other cons but it would have been nice if the factory added a flat underbody cover.

The evo IX responds better to mods than the VIII unless you go big turbo 35R or 30R etc...

For EVO IX and VIII 2005 only
Front: Helical LSD

You have most of it correct, i'll add a few points though.

Not really, 8 turbo spools faster than the 9 anyway since its smaller. I had a 9 turbo on my 8 that i ported with an o2 housing and turbo back exhaust. Spooled faster than the stock 8 did.

I had the SSL package with the leather so i didn't have that problem.

Tuning software is free (ecuflash), just need a $100 cable, 5 min job.

Stock 9 pump is fine for bolt ons, 8 should be upgraded above 22psi, walbro 255 is only 100 though.

If you go with the Evo IX MR edition it has gauges and Bilstein struts which are nice to have, handle better and not as harsh as a ride as the stock kyb struts.

On to the turbos, the 03-04's had the smallest turbo with the 9.8cm hotside. The 05 got the larger 10.5cm hotside. Then in 06 the evo 9 got the best turbo with the 10.5 hotside and slightly larger compressor.

A 8 turbo can peak at whatever you want but will only hold 20-21 lbs to redline. My ported 9 setup would peak at 30 and hold 25 to redline on the E85 tune.

The cams on the 9 are about equal to a smaller set of 272's on an 8. Something like the hks 272's.

That's about it.:thumbsup

BigSnailBuick
07-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Meh I wouldnt sell. But hey its up to you. If its a family concern for space and such I can think of plenty other fun toys you could pick up over an evo. Dont et me wrong evos are nice but just like a gsx those mitsu's end up costing alot of time and money.

drewbird91
07-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Like SSLEVO said, check:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-cars-sale-134/

Problem is that most of these cars on here are already modded/beat. But there are some nice low mile, stock ones every now and then. It also gives you a good idea what these cars are fetching.

If your thinking evo for a family car check this add on out:
http://www.recarochildseat.com/Recaro-Young-Sport.pro
Now that would fit real nice with the Recaro seats already in there.

wrath
07-27-2009, 07:44 AM
The only thing going to a 4 door econobox gets you is 4 doors. It gets you no more room.

SSLEVO
07-27-2009, 07:50 AM
The only thing going to a 4 door econobox gets you is 4 doors. It gets you no more room.

Huh? I have had a 4th gen f-body and an evo. Yes there is a good amount of cargo room if you fold the seat down, but there is no way i would want to sit in the back seat of a camaro for more than 20 min. The evo actually has a good sized back seat. Its no town car but it works.

lilws6
07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
theres def. more room in the back seat of an evo then my T/A i can't sit int he back seat of my own car confortably but i can sit in an evo just fine. not like i'll be in the back seat anyways.