PDA

View Full Version : Satellite radio?

badass88gt
07-21-2009, 01:05 AM
I am considering satellite radio for a few reasons. One is when camping, dont get shit for stations. What do I need to have a portable sateliite radio setup, and what is the deal with Sirius and XM? Are they all one now? I have Sirius right now through Dish Network and I only listen to a couple of channels.

Rocket Power
07-21-2009, 01:37 AM
I used to have XM now I just listen to slacker on my blackberry, it's free and you can make your own stations, kinda like Pandora.

loud91rs
07-21-2009, 05:39 AM
I have sirius in my jeep, and I have an external unit I plug into a boom box or take to work. I love it and can't live without it at this point. What you would need to buy for camping is a boom box, and the external unit. You can bring that unit wherever, just gotta buy different docking stations for it as needed for home/car, etc.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-21-2009, 06:59 AM
sirius FTW!

shoooo32
07-21-2009, 07:08 AM
In the past sirius had better music however with the merger the stations are pretty equal. If you spend a lot of time in the car or drive through rural areas it is well worth the $13 a month.

Nix
07-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Ive had XM in my cars now for over 3 years and couldn't be happier.

Greg@GLD
07-21-2009, 07:16 AM
I have it all my cars, I'm hooked on it. You get second and third and whatever subscriptions at half-price. On longer drives, it's awesome. When I drive up to WIR for RSD's I don't have to search for stations anymore. When I am in cars with just the normal AM/FM, it's incredible how many commercials there are. You really notice it after you get SAT...

-stew-
07-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't drop the coin on it. They are dying. Last I heard there stocks were under a dollar. iPods, and internet radio are killing sat radio. Just buy an iPod.

Karps TA
07-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Sat radio still has millions of listeners and I doubt is going anywhere anytime soon. Had it not been for the govt stalling on them combining, Sat radio stocks would be doing so much better. But the FCC dragged their feet for almost 2 years hoping to kill the companies and the free speech they provide.

I've been a subscriber for 5+ years now. Can't live without it.

BoosTT
07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
I thought about getting it, but I couldn't listen to it at work. It was too profane to play without headphones on. Sucks.

Troutman
07-21-2009, 11:54 AM
have..rather had sirius, it hasnt worked in months. no one in customer service speaks english that you can understand..gave up, froze account

Rocket Power
07-21-2009, 01:37 PM
no one in customer service speaks english that you can understand..

Sounds like my experience with XM:rolf

Karps TA
07-21-2009, 02:07 PM
funny, I've had nothing but great customer service from both. I must call during the 1 hour the boss is covering the phones.

Rocket Power
07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
The few times I called the other end was handled by women with heavy hispanic type accents. A lot of "What was that?" "What did you say?". Was annoying.

lotsals1
07-21-2009, 10:16 PM
They play the same songs over and over like reg. radio .I had sirius for 3 yrs finally said to myself "its a waist of 14$ a mo. but I went fishin in Canada and the whole way up and time there it worked great

lordairgtar
07-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I thought about getting it, but I couldn't listen to it at work. It was too profane to play without headphones on. Sucks.
Maybe you are listening to the wrong station. Why listen to stuff you have to hide or conceal from everyone else?

T-Bag
07-22-2009, 09:59 AM
I've been a subscriber to xm for 5 years now and love it. Listening to Opie and anthony, ron and fez and jason ellis alone is worth it.

Xm is easy to jew the price down to, call customer service and tell them you want the 77 bucks a year deal because the prices are too high and your friend got it, and voila cheap radio, I've been doing that for 4 years.

Not a fan of sirius, especially after the merger. Howard stern also blows cock and is completely unfunny and a huge douchebag.

PureSound15
07-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Maybe you are listening to the wrong station. Why listen to stuff you have to hide or conceal from everyone else?

Maybe he works at a church but secretly loves devil worship music.

Karps TA
07-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Not a fan of sirius, especially after the merger. Howard stern also blows cock and is completely unfunny and a huge douchebag.

I'm the reverse. A&O do nothing but rip off bits that Stern did 10 years ago. But it's all personal taste. Actually I like Bubba the Love Sponge even more then Stern.

shoooo32
07-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm the reverse. A&O do nothing but rip off bits that Stern did 10 years ago. But it's all personal taste. Actually I like Bubba the Love Sponge even more then Stern.

Agreed, although bubba is a little over the top telling everone how great he is. O&A are fvcking clown shoes. I listen to Howard in the morning and Ellis on the way home. The "Dude am I a slut" and "is it gay" segments have me tearing up I laugh so hard.

T-Bag
07-22-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm just going to agree to disagree on the howard vs o and a thing, to keep the thread clean :P

To each their own!

Greg@GLD
07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
They play the same songs over and over like reg. radio .I had sirius for 3 yrs finally said to myself "its a waist of 14$ a mo. but I went fishin in Canada and the whole way up and time there it worked great

You must have a rather narrow range of what you listen to? I listen to so many stations and types of music that this is never an issue. I also listen to much more than just music- ESPN and Fox News, etc...

Some said "get an Ipod instead" and I have one, in fact it's integrated into my SYNC system with my SAT, and I have enough music to listen to 5 straight days and not hear the same song, and I get sick of it and listen to the SAT for variety...

Karps TA
07-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Exactly. Everyday I'm in the mood to listen to something different. Someday's old school rap on Backspin, someday's hair bands, someday's country, etc. It's nice having those choices. And come football season I'm usually glued to the NFL station. It's especially nice when you're travelling and coming home on a Sunday and are able to listen to the Packer game while in Ohio or someplace.

It's really my only monthly bill that I never bitch about the price.

T-Bag
07-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Exactly. Everyday I'm in the mood to listen to something different. Someday's old school rap on Backspin, someday's hair bands, someday's country, etc. It's nice having those choices. And come football season I'm usually glued to the NFL station. It's especially nice when you're travelling and coming home on a Sunday and are able to listen to the Packer game while in Ohio or someplace.

It's really my only monthly bill that I never bitch about the price.

Call in and threaten to cancel and they'll throw a discounted rate at you, deny it and say you want the 77 dollar deal :headbang