PDA

View Full Version : Lifting shingles

pOrk
07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
the shingles on my ads garage are starting to lift, what causes this and can it be repaired? I thought I remember hearing that the cause for this is usually nails backing out of the wood and they just need to be hammered down. If thats not it, will asphault glue hold the shingles down? The roof is about 15 years old, and its in great shape minus the 50 or so shingles that are starting to lift.

stenchmiester
07-20-2009, 03:19 PM
hey pork call me i can come take a look and fix it for ya

07ROUSHSTG3
07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
15 years old??!?!? you are probably getting close to needing all new shingles. check and see if they are Certainteed. there is a big class action suit against them regarding shingles that were installed back then.

Exitspeed
07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Sounds like a new roof is in order.

stenchmiester
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
pork if u do need a new roof i can do it at a killer price

pOrk
07-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Its the garage, its not that important I would rather fix it and save a grand

07ROUSHSTG3
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM
throw a metal roof on it and never worry again!

stenchmiester
07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
well either way give me a jingle i can tell ya why its doin it and how to fix it

0TransAm0
07-20-2009, 04:47 PM
only 15 years old?? shouldn't be lifting yet. unless its the second layer.. most are good for 20-25 years...

whistlin six
07-20-2009, 05:54 PM
15 years old??!?!? you are probably getting close to needing all new shingles. check and see if they are Certainteed. there is a big class action suit against them regarding shingles that were installed back then.

I had a roofing guy over today and he told me the exact same thing about
the Certainteed shingle law suit. Thy're offering some ridiculous settlement of
like $650 to homeowners affected by curling shingles.

Russ Jerome
07-20-2009, 07:13 PM
After the first warm day the adhesive under the new shingle is what does most of the work to keep them from lifting, barely visible the adhesive is those odd colored strips under the shingle, sometimes coverd with clear tape that melts in the sun.

I put a roof on my father inlaws house 10 years ago, the ahesive never set and the shingle where blowing away after the second year, company out of buisness!

Contractor comes bye and redoes the complete roof, 2 years later they all start buckeling, Certainteed brand!!!
http://www.halunenlaw.com/news/2006/11/21/certainteed-shingles-class-action-lawsuit/
15 years is a decent run, you need shingles.

modmachz
07-20-2009, 07:56 PM
You aint gettin shit from certainteed, been there and got fvucked by them.. same thing I had a 12 yr old roof they did the same thing, I just bit the bullitt and had a new roof installed with a tear off..

wrath
07-20-2009, 10:31 PM
If you're skinny...

On a really hot full sun day you can climb up there and lift shingles to re-nail and tar. It's not a bad job but it isn't for fat people as you can cause damage if you step on a tab that has a lifted nail underneath it plus it puts lateral stress on the shingle which can lead to failure.

Anyway, if you're careful you can get quite a bit more life out of it. My house in Michigan needed a roof when I bought it and 8 years when I sold it the thing still needed a roof... it was over 30 years old... never leaked but I still had to do "maintenance".

On another note, my parents' house was built by us in 1995-1998. The shingles are shot on the south side.