PDA

View Full Version : slicks on the street???

1siksrt
07-18-2009, 11:27 AM
does this work?? do they hook at all?? can you pump them up to like 30psi??? etc. etc.

nitrous
07-18-2009, 11:48 AM
No. They aren't meant for concrete. Say bye-bye to them within 50 miles. Also, plan not to take them to the track if you like to keep friends.

HY35F2T
07-18-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.candbmotorsports.com/brian/PonyR/00000010.JPG

WhiteZCamaro
07-18-2009, 12:06 PM
:wstupid Those mickey street tires hook awsome on the street. But they dont last long, like 2500mi or least thats how many mine have and they are half way through the wear bars......

HRSEPLA
07-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I have run slicks on the streets for many years, but now with the Mickey Thompson Drag radials, you dont have to sacrifice stability for hook.:thumbsup

scaleracer
07-18-2009, 01:06 PM
You can run them.. I'm sure you know they're a ticket if pulled over. You can pump them up and drive on also.. And it should help hook better that or a drag radial.. Hope this helps a little.. :thumbsup

HITMAN
07-19-2009, 12:23 AM
No. They aren't meant for concrete. Say bye-bye to them within 50 miles. Also, plan not to take them to the track if you like to keep friends.

:rolleyes:

Here's classic example of some internetz dufus handing out advice that's probably never owned a remotely fast car, let alone something with slicks. 50 miles?:rolf Gee, then my Road Runner was on the tubes the whole time I owned it and I never even knew it... Not meant for concrete you say? What do you think the substance is that makes up the majority of at least the first 60' of almost every drag strip in the country, hmmm? You might want to shut your clam and get some real-world experience, before you offer up nuggets of stupidity and end up looking like a pinhead. The bullshit they whisper back and forth while spooning on jizzlickers.com doesn't count as advice... :loser

As I see it, there are three issues with driving slicks on the street, and longevity isn't one of them because no soft race tire is going to give you a lot of street miles, DOT rated or not. 1) Sam brought up stability and he's right. You're not jetting around corners wearing drag rugs. The sidewalls are meant to wrinkle up on launch to improve straight line traction. You want cornering speed, buy a tire made for corners. 2) They're not legal, Whoopdeedoo. Neither is street racing. Of the two infractions, one is an equipment violation, the other is a major moving violation that might get you locked up and your car impounded. If your going to chance the race, don't let a little thing like a drag slick be what holds you back. 3) Finally, they are absolutely DANGEROUS in the rain. You get caught in the rain with slicks, you aren't going anywhere in a hurry. You feel it out, but you are probably going to be limited to about 15-20 mph, tops. And from what I've heard from others, even though they have some tread, the DOT drag tires really aren't much better than true slicks in the rain.

Other than those few factors, slicks on the street rule for someone looking for maximum advantage in a street race situation. Not only do they hook better, nothing rides like them. Soft sidewalls make for a cushy ride...:thumbsup

Sprayaway Fox
07-19-2009, 03:02 AM
If you want to hook a decent HP car and your looking for HARDCORE street action then run them.

If your looking to drive around and just get small street action get a MT DR

If your looking to drive around with a car under 400 HP or roll race just run a Nitto.

HY35F2T
07-19-2009, 03:13 AM
If you want to hook a decent HP car and your looking for HARDCORE street action then run them.

If your looking to drive around with a car under 400 HP or roll race just run a Nitto.

hahaha nitto lol.

UnderPSI
07-19-2009, 08:07 AM
I ran ET Streets on my 67 Mustang. That was the only set of tires I had for it and I put a ton of miles on them.

URLOZIN
07-19-2009, 08:54 AM
I raced a gto a few times last night on the street and only spun the tires about 5 feet, then I DEAD HOOKED. I just warmed them up a little and then punched it, but I'm and auto with stock stall, and they were 275 40 17 et streets that are pretty worn out.

fivonut
07-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Soft sidewalls make for a cushy ride...:thumbsup

..and a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel if you don't air them back up before getting on the highway!!!

Got Boost
07-19-2009, 09:32 AM
I had no issues running slicks on the street at all ( 10 years ) as opposed to the 10 psi at the track i raan about 15 on the street otherwise the sidewalls would be spongy

nitrous
07-19-2009, 11:15 AM
:rolleyes:

Here's classic example of some internetz dufus handing out advice that's probably never owned a remotely fast car, let alone something with slicks. 50 miles?:rolf Gee, then my Road Runner was on the tubes the whole time I owned it and I never even knew it... Not meant for concrete you say? What do you think the substance is that makes up the majority of at least the first 60' of almost every drag strip in the country, hmmm? You might want to shut your clam and get some real-world experience, before you offer up nuggets of stupidity and end up looking like a pinhead. The bullshit they whisper back and forth while spooning on jizzlickers.com doesn't count as advice... :loser

As I see it, there are three issues with driving slicks on the street, and longevity isn't one of them because no soft race tire is going to give you a lot of street miles, DOT rated or not. 1) Sam brought up stability and he's right. You're not jetting around corners wearing drag rugs. The sidewalls are meant to wrinkle up on launch to improve straight line traction. You want cornering speed, buy a tire made for corners. 2) They're not legal, Whoopdeedoo. Neither is street racing. Of the two infractions, one is an equipment violation, the other is a major moving violation that might get you locked up and your car impounded. If your going to chance the race, don't let a little thing like a drag slick be what holds you back. 3) Finally, they are absolutely DANGEROUS in the rain. You get caught in the rain with slicks, you aren't going anywhere in a hurry. You feel it out, but you are probably going to be limited to about 15-20 mph, tops. And from what I've heard from others, even though they have some tread, the DOT drag tires really aren't much better than true slicks in the rain.

Other than those few factors, slicks on the street rule for someone looking for maximum advantage in a street race situation. Not only do they hook better, nothing rides like them. Soft sidewalls make for a cushy ride...:thumbsup

One thing, insert your foot in your mouth before you think you know who I am. You talk a big game behind that monitor.

Moparjim
07-19-2009, 12:23 PM
One thing, insert your foot in your mouth before you think you know who I am. You talk a big game behind that monitor.

Unfortunately for you, Hitman is 100% correct lol.

I have run full slicks and ET Streets before for thousands of miles on the street. On my Charger, they really weren't even all that bad in the rain. Obviously you had to lay off the throttle and take turns cautiously, but it wasn't like you were driving on ice or anything. I used to run them at about 18 psi or so on the street.

HITMAN
07-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Well, in order to do that, I'd first have to remove it from your ass. :rolf

Please Mr. Automotive Know-It-All, tell me were my assessment of your lack of knowledge about running slicks on the street was incorrect. For 15 years (1985 - 2000) I owned a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner that started out as a low 12 second street car and ended up as a high 9 second street car, and the only time I drove the car WITHOUT slicks on it was on the way to and from where I kept it stored for the winter, and one other time when I had borrowed a set of Kelly Springfield G50 x 15 bias plys from Dr. Ford (Thanks again, Jim!) because I was too broke to afford a new set of rugs for a couple of weeks. I started out with a set of used Firestone 10.5 x 28.5 slicks, and from there I switched to numerous sets of 9 x 30s (first Firestone and then I switched to M/T) before I dumped my 511 in the car. The car wouldn't hook the 9 x 30s , so I bought a set of used set of 11.5 x 28.5 Mickey's and burned them up before finally switching to my final size, the then new 10.5 x 29.5W Mickey Thompson's. Awesome tires. 10-11 psi at the track, 18-20 psi on the street.

Now we need you to share your vast automotive experience with us, so let's hear about all of those "asphalt only" slicks you've run on the street and burned up within 50 miles...;)

1siksrt
07-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Im a lil bit past the 400whp marker:rolf

1siksrt
07-19-2009, 04:17 PM
thanks for all the advice guys, I might try them out and then swap before i drive home....

Sprayaway Fox
07-19-2009, 04:31 PM
SS higher HP cars hook with nittos is just in the suspension and drivetrain combo.

My buds D1 brodix headed 406 SS Monte hooked with Nittos.

GL with whatever ya decide.

DR.FORD
07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Well, in order to do that, I'd first have to remove it from your ass. :rolf

Please Mr. Automotive Know-It-All, tell me were my assessment of your lack of knowledge about running slicks on the street was incorrect. For 15 years (1985 - 2000) I owned a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner that started out as a low 12 second street car and ended up as a high 9 second street car, and the only time I drove the car WITHOUT slicks on it was on the way to and from where I kept it stored for the winter, and one other time when I had borrowed a set of Kelly Springfield G50 x 15 bias plys from Dr. Ford (Thanks again, Jim!) because I was too broke to afford a new set of rugs for a couple of weeks. I started out with a set of used Firestone 10.5 x 28.5 slicks, and from there I switched to numerous sets of 9 x 30s (first Firestone and then I switched to M/T) before I dumped my 511 in the car. The car wouldn't hook the 9 x 30s , so I bought a set of used set of 11.5 x 28.5 Mickey's and burned them up before finally switching to my final size, the then new 10.5 x 29.5W Mickey Thompson's. Awesome tires. 10-11 psi at the track, 18-20 psi on the street.

Now we need you to share your vast automotive experience with us, so let's hear about all of those "asphalt only" slicks you've run on the street and burned up within 50 miles...;)

No problem, Brett. I'm another guy who agrees 100% with you- do you EVER remember street tread tires on my Torino, the Mustang or any other quick car I've had??! Sorry dude, slicks have lasted me a hell of alot more than 50 miles-try like 2 to 3 years, and that is with racing the cars too. One more thing...as with Hitmans and Got Boosts cars, my junk actually needed slicks:thumbsup

WhatsADSM
07-19-2009, 11:06 PM
thanks for all the advice guys, I might try them out and then swap before i drive home....

Hmm.. we need a "I told ya so" icon somewhere.... :goof

But yea at least you have another option for running on the street if you really know you will need to turn up the wick.

SSLEVO
07-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Im a lil bit past the 400whp marker:rolf

You are also FWD so that makes it even worse, haha. How big of tire can you fit up there? 15" rim i take it?