PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here shoot/use guns?

scubastang
04-08-2004, 06:59 PM
I have always shot them, but never really owned one except for a little .22

I might get a Springfield Armory XD pistol soon for defense and just to have some fun with. Problem is none of my friends I know in the area shoot cept for a few. Anyone here go or into pistols? It would be nice to have someone to shoot with once in a while.

Also recommendations on size? There is 3 options --- 9x19mm, .357 and .40 -- I was thinking the .40 :devil

Also what do I need to do to be able to purchase this though a local dealer and also what do I need to do to be able to get a concilement permit it if I want to?

I have always loved and shot guns, just never took a class or anything I guess. Thanks guys! :thumbsup

Crawlin
04-08-2004, 07:13 PM
i had posted a question like this a while ago too. got a few responses along with on CPONYGO. would definitely be fun to do. I checked into it a bit at some local dealers. Kinda wish I would have followed through, but that money needs to go towards the car!

Chris

SMS 1
04-08-2004, 07:42 PM
I would definately go with the .40:shades Unfortunately in Wisconsin you CAN NOT get a permit for concealed carry, remember all the debate with that assclown Doyle about 2months ago?:fire :fire :fire

Prince Valiant
04-08-2004, 08:40 PM
why don't ya sneak around my land late at nite an find out? *spits chew*

:goof

animal
04-08-2004, 09:43 PM
If it were me, I'd go with a 9mm, only because just for plinking, it'll be cheaper to buy the crap ammo at the range. Granted .40 won't be that much more expensive. It's all in what you want out of it. If you want stopping power and are realisically looking at a gun for protection, then an auto pistol of any of the popular varieties will probably do as long as you can hit what you're shooting at. They'll also have increased capacity for follow up shots or if you miss. If you want sheer knockdown type power as opposed to multi shot stopping power, then look into a .357 or higher, and learn not to miss :D

If you're really going to use it for home defense, you'll also want to keep it handy. Don't keep it in a drawer or under the bed, it's unsafe and can be stolen. If you safe it up in the basement you won't have it when you might need it. If you're gonna use it for that, get a bedroom safe, or one of those little safes with a hand print combination lock for easy, quick, and silent entrance when it's dark and you're groggy.

If that seems like too much, or you think you won't be able to bring yourself to use it in a situation, then don't bring it out. Keep it locked up in a nice safe that's hard and time consuming to break into. If you have it out and can't use it, it can be used against you. I know it's easy to say you'd shoot in a situation, but do you KNOW that you would? Any hesitation could meet tradgic results. Once you play the gun card, whomever you're dealing with could play theirs, and if you freeze or hesitate, that's all the time they're going to need, and if it's that kind of situation, they aren't going to hesitate. Granted, this is a VERY rare situation, but if you're considering a gun for home defense then it's a very specific tool for a very rare occurance. Not trying to scare you here either. I am all for people having guns in the home, for sport, recreation, and defense. It's just some things to think about before you decide what you want to get.

Now, aside from the thinking stuff, go to a gun range like shooters sport shop in racine, or badger guns in west allis. They have ranges there and you can rent guns by the hour. Try a bunch of them out and see what you feel comfortable with, and what you're able to put on paper at 10 yards. Doesn't seem like much, but imagine being stuck in a situation, your heart is racing, and you're breathing uncontrolably... a body at 10 yards is hard to hit in that situation, especially when moving. So go try some out and see. It really doesn't cost much to rent them. My suggestion: Go try out a compact and full size glock, a 45 clone, a .40 s&w, a 9mm beretta full size and compact, a .357 revolver, and maybe a .38 revolver or two. Try them out and be comfortable with what you buy. Even if it's only going to be just for plinking or whatever, be comfortable and safe with your guns. Clean them, and they'll last you a lifetime.

whistlin six
04-08-2004, 11:19 PM
That was some good reading animal:haveabeer

I used to go shooting occasionally with friends, pistol ranges and skeet shooting. I can't hit a moving target worth a crap, but I'm
OK at target shooting.
I always have it in the back of my mind that I want to buy a pistol to play around with, but I haven't done it yet.
My favorite pistol is the 9mm beretta :thumbsup

animal
04-08-2004, 11:32 PM

I try to be informative when it's something I know about :)

Yooformula
04-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Ahh guns....:shades I was hooked after my first time shooting but I cant spare the cash now. Soon though, my choice is going to be an H&K but I dont have enough experience with more guns.

Rocket Power
04-09-2004, 12:03 AM
I like .40's . :thumbsup
I have a Glock 23 .40
I also have a Winchester Defender 12ga for house cleaning:D
So ya don't want to dirty my house.:goof
I used to have a Ruger P89 9mm that I shot on a PPC league ( about 8 years ago) but I sold that .
9's are fun .40's are fun , aww hell, shooting is fun. As long as you are safe and responsible, it's a good time:rockwoot:

animal
04-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Here's my hand cannon :)

I get numbers at 100 yds that a .44 mag gets at the muzzle :D

http://www.taurususa.com/imagesMain/H_454SS6.jpg

scubastang
04-09-2004, 02:10 AM
heh I appreciate the info and advice animal. I live in a aptartment at the moment, and yes I would get some sort of locked case for it. I have shot anything from a AK-74, shotguns to hunting rifles - but I have only shot .357 revolvers, a .22 pistol and a deringer (that was fun!). I would assume the guns like these - more modern LOE style guns are much lighter and have less recoil. http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl.shtml
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9102Large.jpg

Also what is the diff between the 3 (9mm, .357, .40?) Is it just simply smallest to largest in the order I have listed? They also have a ported gun to port more gas to have less recoil - you guys think its worth it?

Couple more ?s for you Animal. What exactly do I need/need to do to purchase a handgun through a dealer in WI? Also it would be nice to carry a gun when I travel far in a car - is a car basically the same as a human where you need a permit to carry it in there?

Chris - yeah I would rather save up a little more cash for a car, but I can get a nice pistol w/accessories for $400 - which will last me a lifetime so I think its a fun and sound investment :)

animal
04-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Ok, first...

Caliber really has nothing to do with power. It's all in the length of the case and how stout the guns usually are for a given caliber. My gun, the .454 casull is known for VERY high chember pressures (upwards of 50,000 psi). It's only 1/16 of an inch longer than a .45 colt and is identical in every other way, but the colt usually produces almost half the power. This is mainly because the original guns designed for the colt had smaller cylinder walls on the revolvers, they just wouldn't take that much pressure. It all has to do with how much powder you can stuff in that shell, and which type you use. But, to answer your q... 9mm, .40SW, .357mag. That's ordered from weakest to strongest.

Gas porting you usually only find on LARGE guns... like mine :) If you look at the tip of the barrel... you can see 4 gas ports across the top just under the front site. Usually called "magnum porting" it's not generally found on anything smaller than a 357. 357's really don't kick that much though and I personally have never seen a 357 with porting. It does help to keep the gun fron wrenching back in your hand, but it will still kick like a mother. On a side note, Gas operated guns is a totally different thing. The two I can think off off hand are the desert eagle and the AK. It jsut means that gas from behind the bullet is used to kick the bolt back and cycle the gun. If you use the wrong ammo or powder, it's easy to clog this gas port, and you'll get a gun that jams frequently.

I've only bought one handgun. I bought it at a gun show, but since it was from a dealer it was the same as any other handgun purchase. You fill out the form and give them a down payment. They'll run you through the federal and state database to make sure you're not a felon and everything checks out. Then it's a 2 day waiting period, then you can go pick it up and pay the rest. If you're lucky they'll forget to charge you the rest of the payment and you'll get a $1200 gun for $40 total (I know someone that did that exactly).

continued

animal
04-09-2004, 08:53 AM
As far as traveling in a car, keep that baby in a case, and unloaded. You can't travel with a loaded gun in your car in wi, I believe it's the same as concealed. It's always good practice to tell a cop right away if you are carrying a gun. Alot of the time, they'll get so concerned with checking it out and seeing if you should have it or not that they'll forget the ticket you should have been getting :D Plus it's just a nice respect thing to let them know right away.

$400 may get you a pistol, but anything like a glock or beretta are going to run you upwards of 500-600 depending where you go. Shop around, call around. Look for gun shows too. Sometimes you can get a private sale for a gun, no wait period, no government involvement, and you have a much better chance of getting a grandfathered gun... in effect, one that was out before the 10 round capacity. You could score yourself some 15 round clips :)

Rocket Power
04-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Preban Mags:rockwoot: :thumbsup

scubastang
04-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by animal
As far as traveling in a car, keep that baby in a case, and unloaded. You can't travel with a loaded gun in your car in wi, I believe it's the same as concealed. It's always good practice to tell a cop right away if you are carrying a gun. Alot of the time, they'll get so concerned with checking it out and seeing if you should have it or not that they'll forget the ticket you should have been getting :D Plus it's just a nice respect thing to let them know right away.

So if it is unloaded and in a case, I take it thats a "yes", it is legal to have a pistol in your car in any state? I of course would always take precautions like this. Its just nice to know that on longer trips I have some added protection just incase (which I hope never happens and already has once :()

Also is there a firearm permit that you recommend I get? Or is the only "permit" for handguns that civiliians can get the conceiled or simply the firearms saftey course lol.

As far as the SA XD goes, its is the 03 pistol of the yr, and you can find it on sale new for aorund $400. I have seen Glock 23 .40 for $409 new too recently on sale! Now that I think about it, I actually remember I did shoot a Beretta 9mm once, and didn't like the feel/look of the gun. We'll see after I go try a few at the range. Thanks animal for taken the time to answer all these newb questions, but I feel this is a avenue where I want to be as informed as possible before I delve into it!

:thumbsup

animal
04-09-2004, 07:09 PM
You bet man, no prob. My prices on guns aren't in stone or anything, it's only from memory from a year or two ago when i was looking.

GreenZ
04-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Springfield XDs have gotten high marks for glock like reliability but with more safety features.

The 9mm is the weakest.

the .40 is middle ground

the .357 sig auto cartridge can be bought in loads weaker than 9mm to stronger than .45ACP and .357 mag.

9mm is the cheapest to shoot, .40 being middle ground, and .357 sig is an expensive load, no matter what muzzle velocity or grain you get.

The compensating ports on the top will help with fast follow up shots, but will be blinding if you use the gun in the dark.

Just pick a gun you wouldn't mind carrying all day, that way you'll be comfy with it when you do pick it up