PDA

View Full Version : Who would win? Place your bets

kornholio788
07-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Ok. My gf just did a motor swap in her car. And will get it back from being tuned and dynoed today. These are the numbers she threw down. And some facts. Who do you think will win? BMW is mine the civic is hers.

1996 Honda Civic 2 door:
B20 swap.
Full interior.
Stage 2 clutch I believe
5 speed FWD
HP: 183
Tq: 141

1993 BMW 325IS 2 door:
Stock I6.
Full interior(heated leather bitches)
5 speed RWD
HP: 189
Tq: 184

Basic sets of tires on both. Nothing fancy. She has some pretty light wheels. Mine are the factory 16in. Neither of us are "pro" drivers per say. I have never really actually launched a stick car before. Don't have alot of 5 speed time under my belt. But she doesn't either. I would say we are about both the same when it comes to driving skill.

Who would win?

I am going to guess it is a VERY close race. But I think she has me due to weight. so I will give the victory to her. But by a vag hair I will lose.

I've got this on a couple forums and everyone says it will be very close. But she will win by a small fraction so far.

WhatsADSM
07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
It will come down to the driving.

In terms of the cars, the civic is a *little* more capable to win, but also a little harder to drive to the win.

URLOZIN
07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Well being that the civic is alot lighter and puts out about the same numbers, it will be a drivers race. Civic does have a bit of an advantage though. Should be a good race. Do it and post that shit!

kornholio788
07-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Once she gets a little bit of practice in with the new motor we def will. She is picking it up from king today most likely. We are excited to see. I could care less who wins. Just gunna be so close I think.

juicedimpss
07-16-2009, 03:35 PM
It will come down to the driving.

In terms of the cars, the civic is a *little* more capable to win, but also a little harder to drive to the win.

agreed.

Moparjim
07-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Don't know enough info like actual power curves, weights, and gear ratios. Hers is probably lighter, but yours has the torque advantage and I would be willing to bet yours makes much more overall torque and HP throughout the curve and especially at lower RPMS compared to hers which is probably only at a high RPM range. You also have RWD, probably bigger/better tires compared to her FWD so you should outlaunch her a ton.

Moparjim
07-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Well being that the civic is alot lighter and puts out about the same numbers, it will be a drivers race. Civic does have a bit of an advantage though. Should be a good race. Do it and post that shit!

Same peak numbers, but huge difference in torque and overall power under the curve I bet...

Advertised HP sells cars, torque wins races.

juicedimpss
07-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Same peak numbers, but huge difference in torque and overall power under the curve I bet...

im betting that bmw has quite a few extra lbs to tug down the track over the honduh.

kornholio788
07-16-2009, 04:57 PM
im betting that bmw has quite a few extra lbs to tug down the track over the honduh.

That is exactly what we are thinking. Mine is a fully loaded bimmer. Bigger engine, bigger car overall, full interior with motorized everything, etc. I am thinking my tq will equal out the difference in weight.

Red97GTP
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Who's gonna be driving the civic? I hope the woman isn't. She really should just stay in the kitchen and hand you a beer after the race.

:goof Just goofin'!:goof

kornholio788
07-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Haha. I'll be sure to tell her that lol. She is off to pick it up right now from king so I will give her a week to get used to the car. People are all saying it will be very close. I am excited to run and see who wins.

WhatsADSM
07-16-2009, 05:22 PM

I never got that age old saying...

To be honest it's just not true. It truly is the HORSEPOWER under the curve (corresponding to your gearing) per weight that accelerates your vehicle.

Lets assume torque/weight won races:
2008 Ford F250 Superduty 650ft/lb ~7900lb with 200 lb driver is ~12# per ftlb of torque
2008 CBR600RR makes about 50ft/lb and weighs about 610lbs with rider is ~12# per ftlb of torque.

So those 2 machines have almost identical torque/weight ratings... And well I won't even bother to tell you which one is faster BY A LONG SHOT.

DirtyMax
07-16-2009, 05:38 PM
You automatically lose for bench racing during the summer when you could just take it to the track!

J/K :thumbsup

SSLEVO
07-16-2009, 06:21 PM
You also both loose for running 15's, LOL j/k

pOrk
07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
You both drive like women, so I'm gonna guess you will both lose.

lordairgtar
07-16-2009, 11:29 PM
What kind of racing are we talking about? The drag strip or a road course?

Al
07-17-2009, 12:58 AM
I'd place my dollar on the civic. The bimmer is much heavier and the 325 is a turd to begin with.

HITMAN
07-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Was her car dynoed? If so, then those HP numbers are the actual numbers to the wheels. The BMW's HP numbers are the advertised numbers not actual wheel numbers. Based on this fact and the fact that the Civic is probably a bunch lighter, the Honda should win going away, provided it doesn't get left in the dust at the launch, and provided your girlfriend can drive worth a shit.

Rotorhead-20B
07-17-2009, 09:41 AM
I would have to say honduh BUT id rather drive the bimmer anyday

Exitspeed
07-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Who cares what car people "think" will win. Go fuckin race already.

Asking about the shit online isn't going to solve anything and it damn sure isn't going to make either of you better drivers.

kornholio788
07-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Who cares what car people "think" will win. Go fuckin race already.

Asking about the shit online isn't going to solve anything and it damn sure isn't going to make either of you better drivers.

Lol chill. She JUST got the car back from king. And we were both talking about it and both agreed it would be a hell of a race. She is still getting used to the clutch in the car as it is different from her old one. We will run though. Just curious to see what other people think. After all this is a forum right? Just relax bro lol. :thumbsup

Exitspeed
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Lol chill. She JUST got the car back from king. And we were both talking about it and both agreed it would be a hell of a race. She is still getting used to the clutch in the car as it is different from her old one. We will run though. Just curious to see what other people think. After all this is a forum right? Just relax bro lol. :thumbsup

You still coulda raced like 5000x since you made this thread though. :thumbsup

So these are your first cars I take it?

It's not going to be all that exciting either. Those cars will both run like 16's. Prolly 17's with you guys behind the wheel.

kornholio788
07-17-2009, 10:44 AM

It's not going to be all that exciting either. Those cars will both run like 16's. Prolly 17's with you guys behind the wheel.

Lol. You're quite the character. Internets is serious bidness.

Its all in fun. And yup. First cars. Only thing I own besides this is my pants I am wearing. :rolf

Hey quick question where do I top off my blinker fluid?

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 10:48 AM

the only reason i just signed up for this is to tell you that you are really quick to judge people when you don't know them what so ever. pretty ignorant if you ask me. you probably think we are 17 years old too huh? this thread was all in fun and curiosity. it's a shame when people like you turn it into this with that kind of attitude.

Exitspeed
07-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Lol. You're quite the character. Internets is serious bidness.

Its all in fun. And yup. First cars. Only thing I own besides this is my pants I am wearing. :rolf

Hey quick question where do I top off my blinker fluid?

I am a character.

I'm just letting you know what to expect. 17 second quarter miles aren't all that fun. But you aren't gonna learn unless you get out and drive. You should definitely keep the spirited driving to the track though.

What are your plans with these cars? Are you just going to do drag racing with them? You gonna do auto-X.

the only reason i just signed up for this is to tell you that you are really quick to judge people when you don't know them what so ever. pretty ignorant if you ask me. you probably think we are 17 years old too huh? this thread was all in fun and curiosity. it's a shame when people like you turn it into this with that kind of attitude.

I'm glad I could help get more members on the forum. Yes I'm judgmental. Thanks.

Fact is though I was right though that these are their first cars. I made no assumptions about age.

I'm just givin the guy some shit. Simmer down.

FYI I just said what every one else was thinking.

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm glad I could help get more members on the forum. Yes I'm judgmental. Thanks.

Fact is though I was right though that these are their first cars. I made no assumptions about age.

Well I am the girl that owns the civic he is talking about. And this civic is my third out of four cars. Just sayin maybe you should ask questions before you assume things about people you don't know. I've been around cars my whole life and I know what a 17 second 1/4 looks like. and it's not my car i'll tell you that.

Exitspeed
07-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Well I am the girl that owns the civic he is talking about. And this civic is my third out of four cars. Just sayin maybe you should ask questions before you assume things about people you don't know. I've been around cars my whole life and I know what a 17 second 1/4 looks like. and it's not my car i'll tell you that.

I believe that was in question form.

You don't have to prove anything to me. Again, just givin you guys a hard time. Don't be so sensitive. :banana

And actually you're right. It probably won't be a 17...it'll be more like a high 15.

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:02 AM
So why would you assume that those are our first cars though? And since he gave you the facts about the cars... if you know about cars you should know they won't be running 17's.

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:02 AM

I was thinking the same thing. However, you do have to start somewhere. I think it is smart to start with a slower car to learn, for the same reason most people start with smaller motorcycles for their first.

I wish a lot of other people would do that. How many times have you heard about an inexperienced person getting a low 13-12 second car and then subsequently killing the car, themselves or both in short order.

Not to long ago a kid and his dad restored a Pontiac Ventura (look like a early 70's nova, dark metallic grey) and the kid took it out, beat on it, it got away from him. It took him and the car out....

I will say this it doesn't how slow you car is the first time you take it down the track... Once you are bitten by the bug.... it's all over from there! :headbang

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:04 AM
So why would you assume that those are our first cars though? And since he gave you the facts about the cars... if you know about cars you should know they won't be running 17's.

Ahh you must be the gf with the honda. He isn't assuming anything. Your boyfriend flat out said that neither of you are "drivers". Go re-read the first post in this thread. It will answer your question.

pOrk
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
hi Drea!

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
He meant we aren't pro drivers. Just normal everyday people who drive stick. Just new at really race driving per say. I guess some people just give their opinions in different ways around this forum..

HY35F2T
07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
I'd place my dollar on the civic. The bimmer is much heavier and the 325 is a turd to begin with.

excatly.I bet any money you will get smoked those bmw's are slow as fuck.Honda ehh should be a low 14, high 13 second car.

kornholio788
07-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I am a character.

I'm just letting you know what to expect. 17 second quarter miles aren't all that fun. But you aren't gonna learn unless you get out and drive. You should definitely keep the spirited driving to the track though.

What are your plans with these cars? Are you just going to do drag racing with them? You gonna do auto-X.

Lol we aren't 16. These aren't our first cars. I own two at the moment. She owns two at the moment as well. And these def aren't our first two cars. I know my share about cars. As does she. You are way far off about us my friend.

And I bet not many others were thinking that. Mostly likely just you.

Exitspeed
07-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I was thinking the same thing. However, you do have to start somewhere. I think it is smart to start with a slower car to learn, for the same reason most people start with smaller motorcycles for their first.

I wish a lot of other people would do that. How many times have you heard about an inexperienced person getting a low 13-12 second car and then subsequently killing the car, themselves or both in short order.

Not to long ago a kid and his dad restored a Pontiac Ventura (look like a early 70's nova, dark metallic grey) and the kid took it out, beat on it, it got away from him. It took him and the car out....

I will say this it doesn't how slow you car is the first time you take it down the track... Once you are bitten by the bug.... it's all over from there! :headbang

Yeah I totally agree about learning to drive a slower car. I think it's harder to drive a slow car fast then a fast car fast...if that makes sense.

That's exactly why I kept my 240's stock when I did auto-X. I wanted to learn how to really drive my car hard.

Unfortunately drag racing isn't quit as fun with slower cars. IMO anyway.

pOrk
07-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Lol we aren't 16. These aren't our first cars. I own two at the moment. She owns two at the moment as well. And these def aren't our first two cars. I know my share about cars. As does she. You are way far off about us my friend.

Just curious kornhomo, but what other cars have you had? I thought the neon was your first car, and the bmw your second?

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:14 AM
He meant we aren't pro drivers. Just normal everyday people who drive stick. Just new at really race driving per say. I guess some people just give their opinions in different ways around this forum..

If you two are going to put yourself "out there" you have to take the good with the bad. That's life.

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
You are way far off about us my friend.

No I was thinking that too. You aren't 16 but you are 21, which in my opinion is almost just as bad.

Exitspeed
07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Neither of us are "pro" drivers per say. I have never really actually launched a stick car before. Don't have alot of 5 speed time under my belt. But she doesn't either.

Its all in fun. And yup. First cars.

I'm only going off of what I'm reading here.

I never said anything about your age.

And AGAIN, just razzing you guys. Don't get so defensive.

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately drag racing isn't quit as fun with slower cars. IMO anyway.

I guess your definition of "slow" is different than ours. My civic is the fastest car I've owned so far. I mean I can't afford to build a full drag car because I have a house and pets and such to take care of. So for me it will be a fun, and yes, fast experience for me.

My motto is that there will always be someone faster than you. who cares.

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:18 AM
My motto is that there will always be someone faster than you. who cares.

Sounds like logic to me!:thumbsup

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:19 AM
No I was thinking that too. You aren't 16 but you are 21, which in my opinion is almost just as bad.

Does age really matter anyway? A 60 year old could have never learned to drive well and would have the same outcome as a not responsible 21 year old.

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Don't get so defensive.

This is BCM!!! *300, This is "SPARTA*

You know better... :goof

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Does age really matter anyway? A 60 year old could have never learned to drive well and would have the same outcome as a not responsible 21 year old.

Not so much about driving... Just in general. And more so for males, not females. How have you been Andrea? Still talk to Jess?

Post Script : I wanted to add that most 60 year old people, over all, have better decision making abilities, based off of life experience and wisdom alone.

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Not so much about driving... Just in general. And more so for males, not females. How have you been Andrea? Still talk to Jess?

Post Script : I wanted to add that most 60 years old people, over all, have better decision making abilities, based off of life experience and wisdom alone.

I would say most, not all haha. I've seen some stuuuuuupid older people come into my work i'll tell you that..

and hi! lol i've been really good. and yes Jess and i are still good friends. i was wondering if you'd notice it was me...

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I would say most, not all haha. I've seen some stuuuuuupid older people come into my work i'll tell you that..

and hi! lol i've been really good. and yes Jess and i are still good friends. i was wondering if you'd notice it was me...

Is she still selling jewelry? I wonder how the market is doing for her. Congrats on your swap btw. Do you still talk to Fridge?

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Is she still selling jewelry? I wonder how the market is doing for her. Congrats on your swap btw. Do you still talk to Fridge?

Yep she is. It's not doing so well. So she got another job bar tending. Thanks. Seemed like it took forever. And yea i talk to fridge too. he has two kids now!

kornholio788
07-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Just curious kornhomo, but what other cars have you had? I thought the neon was your first car, and the bmw your second?

I had a sexy ass Plymouth Acclaim back in the day. Learned alot on that car. Did the alternator in it, replaced the radiator when it blew, the timing belt(Never wanna do taht again lol), learned how to do brakes and alot on that car. Was an old beater but man she was a strong runner actually. Had over 170k on it when I sold it. Still running pretty strong. Last I heard the tranny took a dump on the next guy but the engine still ran good lol.

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Two mini fridges running around... Sorry I couldn't resist.

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:37 AM
oh don't worry, we've already said that. lol

Exitspeed
07-17-2009, 11:37 AM

You guys never answered this...

kornholio788
07-17-2009, 11:40 AM
You guys never answered this?

Well the bimmer is my dd. Her civic is her toy. We just drive them. Don't think we both either really intend on getting into hardcore racing. I have a show car(Work in progress though) besides my bimmer(Or as most of you guys here say a rice burner:thumbsup).

We both just like driving them around and enjoying them. I got my neon. She has the civic for a toy. Just so happens my dd(bimmer) is quite fun in itself.

Not all of us have 10 second cars. Some of us just want fun cruisers. Which is what those are to us. Nothing more really. We aren't going crazy over this lol. Just thought it woudl be interesting what others would say.

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
I think eventually I'll try and take it to great lakes to try it out, see how I do. Someday when I have time I will build a really fast car... Someday...

Irish
07-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I think you two should race for something.. yard duties for a month.. House cleaning for two weeks... etc... or something kinky...

I guess I should have asked first... Is there a wager?

Exitspeed
07-17-2009, 11:46 AM
That's fine if that's all you wanna do with'em.

You should go down to GLD though and learn how to actually drive.

Maybe think about doing some Auto-X in that 3 Series. Low HP stock RWD cars are more fun to drive around cones then in a straight line.

No one is saying you have to be "pro drivers" or get all "hard core", just get out and do it. You don't need a 10 second car either. I've never owned one (I don't even have an interest in owning one).

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I think you two should race for something.. yard duties for a month.. House cleaning for two weeks... etc... or something kinky...

I guess I should have asked first... Is there a wager?

hahaha. well if we did wager for something i can tell you right now it wouldn't be any sort of cleaning. but not yet there's not. i think he's scared :rolf

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Auto-x is a lot harder to learn than to go in a straight line. lol

kornholio788
07-17-2009, 11:51 AM
That's fine if that's all you wanna do with'em.

You should go down to GLD though and learn how to actually drive.

Maybe think about doing some Auto-X in that 3 Series. Low HP stock RWD cars are more fun to drive around cones then in a straight line.

No one is saying you have to be "pro drivers" or get all "hard core", just get out and do it. You don't need a 10 second car either. I've never owned one (I don't even have an interest in owning one).

I would love to try my share at auto-x. But quite frankly I have never had a car that I could do it with. My neon is NOT made for that at all. Between the air suspension and such. No. The bimmer is my daily driver. So I need it to stay reliable. Don't wanna break it pushing it too hard lol. If I had teh money for another car to auto-x I would love to. Just not in the cards at the moment that is all. Plus between the house, all four of our cars, work, and just the things that come with daily life, sadly I just don't have alot of time at the moment.

As for a wager, HA. Like I said this is not a serious thing at all. Just curiosity hitting us. Drea knows I am always down for a good bet though lol. She names it I'll put it up ;)

pOrk
07-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Dreas DD is probably faster ( and MUCH cooler ) then the honduh

kornholio788
07-17-2009, 11:52 AM

You mean the Accord? Maby you didnt' know she sold the TL.

Exitspeed
07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Auto-x is a lot harder to learn than to go in a straight line. lol

True. I started with drag racing a long time ago. Did that for a few years and honestly got a little bored. I enjoy Auto-X tons more then I ever did drag racing. It's just more fulfilling.

But you can't learn if you don't try.

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:53 AM

YOu still think i have the acura don't you? lol

pOrk
07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
WHAT? For why? What year accord?

kornholio788
True. I started with drag racing a long time ago. Did that for a few years and honestly got a little bored. I enjoy Auto-X tons more then I ever did drag racing. It's just more fulfilling.

Like I said if I had a car to use I would LOVE to try it. Drag racing has never been that thrilling to me. Unless it is like a rocket car or something. Those things are intense. But other wise it is meh to me. And I have taken a low 13 car down the track before. I wasn't able to get in the 13s, but the owner has. Was fun. But I see it getting boring unless you have a VERY fast car.

justadream1121

for me auto-x isn't something i'd really be interested in doing. i wanna be those guys on that top gear show and drive realllllllly fast/expensive cars around an airport lol

justadream1121
07-17-2009, 11:56 AM
WHAT? For why? What year accord?

couldn't afford the payments plus insurance after that stupid accident.