PDA

View Full Version : Cheese shops?

Larrygto
07-16-2009, 12:28 PM
After watching a show about cheese on the history channel I have a hankering for some good cheese. Now I live in Kenosha and we have all those shops along I94 but those seem like tourist traps for Cub fans. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Nix
07-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I love fresh cheese curds. they squeek on your teeth when they are fresh and taste so fuckin good.

The best Ive had is at a gas station by me off 94 west, they get their cheese fresh every thursday from the cheese factory over in Watertown.

I may have to make a stop after work now that I think of it, espically seeing as its THURSDAY!!

Exitspeed
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I once went to a place on the side of the road on Hwy 73 between Wausau and Thorp. Fuckin good stuff. But it's far from here.

There's a bunch on your way up north from like here to Madison and then North.

VroomPshhTsi
07-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I worked at the House of Wisconsin Cheese on State Street in Madison, I loved that job!!! We of course had all types of cheese and specialized in aged cheddar. We had cheddar as old as 12 years, it gets hard to cut (crumbles a lot) after 5 years. But it gets very sharp in taste and soooo delicious! Grocery stores "aged" cheddar is like 6-9 months aged, so you don't really get any taste like you would with real aged cheese.

fly5150
07-16-2009, 05:47 PM
I go to the Cheese Box in Lake geneva for lunch once in a while. Lots of specialty cheeses

1320PNY
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Local: Brennan's in Brookfield. Next to Kopps right past Calhoun on the North side of the road. Amazing selections! We had Mother's day brunch and we got about 10 different cheeses from there. Champaigne, Irish Stout, Dill, Bacon, etc. Nothing was less than "stellar". (EPIC?)

Further: Pine River Dairy - English Lake Road right outside of Manitowoc (Exit 149 on Hwy 43 N). You have to take 151 West and turn Left at the light across from Menards. Go South on 42 about 3 miles to English Lake Road and then take that about 3 miles West. We do Christmas from here every other year and the years we don't do it we get calls about "Where's our cheese?" from our family members.

Outside of that, I've been to the I-94 cooridor of FIB stops and nothing impresses me.

retro_pony
07-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Great place is Held's on 41, near Slinger, between Milwaukee and Oshkosh. Stopped there on the way back from Horses and Hogs last weekend to pickup a few things.

Larrygto
07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Looks like I'll have to take a cruise north, I was hoping for something down this way maybe west?

BlackLightning
07-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Great place is Held's on 41, near Slinger, between Milwaukee and Oshkosh. Stopped there on the way back from Horses and Hogs last weekend to pickup a few things.

and while you are at held's grab some hot jamaican jerky by the register as it is the best jerky ever. although all of their jerky is good. :thumbsup

Windsors 03 Cobra
07-17-2009, 11:36 AM
I dont know whats wrong with the cheese shoppe's right there in Kenosha, you said tourist traps for cubs fans ? Most all of Kenosha loves the cubs and half the folks in Kenosha work in Illinois anyway. Kenosha is a suburb of Chicago too many.

Go out to Bobby Nelson's Wisconsin Pride Cheese or Mars Cheese Castle before their "historic" Route 41 locations are torn down for the I94 widenening project.
Mar's has alot of neat things for sale in their gift shoppe, my favorite is the cuckoo clocks.

Larrygto
07-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I dont know whats wrong with the cheese shoppe's right there in Kenosha, you said tourist traps for cubs fans ? Most all of Kenosha loves the cubs and half the folks in Kenosha work in Illinois anyway. Kenosha is a suburb of Chicago too many.

Go out to Bobby Nelson's Wisconsin Pride Cheese or Mars Cheese Castle before their "historic" Route 41 locations are torn down for the I94 widenening project.
Mar's has alot of neat things for sale in their gift shoppe, my favorite is the cuckoo clocks.

Thats kinda what I wanted to know if those places were any good.
And just for the record I'm originally from IL and a Cubs fan!
Plus at least one of those places have already moved.:(

GRAMPS SS
07-17-2009, 06:56 PM
there is a nice little mom and pop cheese factory in of all places..RUBICON...

also a few on your way up to FOX LAKE if your up for a nice weekend ride....

the wife stops at the MARS shoppe on her way to INDY with a list from family memebers and stocks up for them...some of there stuff is good...best cheese curds i have had yet are from SENDIKS....JMO

JC70SS
07-17-2009, 09:22 PM
babcock hall at UW. Good cream too!

HITMAN
07-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Sendik's has a great selection of gourmet cheeses, as does Brennan's. As for cheese curds though, the same brand that Sendik's sells (Malcore's) is sold at Woodman's for about a $1.00 less per bag. That makes them taste even better... :thumbsup

letsrunem
07-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Sendik's has a great selection of gourmet cheeses, as does Brennan's. As for cheese curds though, the same brand that Sendik's sells (Malcore's) is sold at Woodman's for about a $1.00 less per bag. That makes them taste even better... :thumbsup

x2 for Sendik's. I worked there in the cheese department a few years ago and their cheese selection is huge! They have a walk-in cooler with over 300 different kinds. The manager there, Mark, is very knowledgeable when it comes to cheese and wine so I recommend you go there and talk to him.