PDA

View Full Version : couple questions for the photography peeps here

07ROUSHSTG3
07-15-2009, 01:28 PM
My wife has really gotten into the photgraphy thing in the last year or so. She has been taking pics for family members for the last 6 months or so. nothing serious, but if someone wants pics of their kids or pets, they have my wife do it. she recently did a family portrait for her brother, and i must say it turned out pretty nice. This is probably the first hobby i have ever seen her latch onto since i have known her (almost 9 years). She has a room in our house, which used to be my mustang room, set up like a little studio. lights, backgrounds, props, whatever. she enjoys snapping pics of our daughter on an almost daily basis. she likes it and it is something that we can kind of do together, so i am digging it. the question is, how does she expand and actually get some training besides the piles of books that she has read?? i told her to look into going to school for it or taking a night class at the technical colleges in the area, but none of them offer anything. the only thing she found was a class directed to older people on how to use a point and shoot digital camera. not exactly what she was looking for. through one of the forums that she is on, someone mentioned the New York Institute of photography ( http://www.nyip.com/ ). i guess it is a class that you take via the web, DVDs, books, email, and by phone. Does anyone know of this place or have any experience with it? It kind of seems like one of those "get your diploma at home" jobs to me, but according to many that she has talked to, it is a good place to start?!?! the class is around $900. That includes 30 books, 20 DVDs, a phone number of you "mentor", and some other goodies. You get assignments and then you have a certain amount of time to complete and return them, i am guessing through email. I guess before I send $900 I just want to make sure that it will be worth it. Even though she has talked to some people that say it is great and a good starting point, I wonder if those people are just blowing smoke?!?! I guess my main questions are: have you heard of this New York Institute of photgraphy? do you have any suggestions for someone that is starting out in the hobby and would like to someday make it more of a hobby? any schools, classes, or tutors out there? keep in mind that I am a bit north of you guys too, so nightly classes in the city or something would probably be a bit too much. thanks :thumbsup

DCDZ28
07-15-2009, 03:03 PM
A friend of mine is currently going thorugh the professional photography course from New York Institute of photography. She said it is really good and highly recommends it. I am considering taking the Fundamentals course myself to get a better understanding of my DSLR camera.

One thing she said is DO NOT sign up right away! If you request the materials and then wait a while they will contact you and offer a better price on the course.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-15-2009, 03:44 PM
A friend of mine is currently going thorugh the professional photography course from New York Institute of photography. She said it is really good and highly recommends it. I am considering taking the Fundamentals course myself to get a better understanding of my DSLR camera.

One thing she said is DO NOT sign up right away! If you request the materials and then wait a while they will contact you and offer a better price on the course.

that is good to hear, thanks! she recieved the materials on monday, so i will wait a bit to see the price drop.

udlose98
07-15-2009, 04:58 PM
I know UWM offers an ADOBE CS4 class. I am not sure how much post processing she does, but that may prove beneficial

DirtyMax
07-15-2009, 05:01 PM
In lieu of the $900, I'd take some local lessons at Art's, etc. or even have her join a local photography network. There's a gang of photogs who assemble quite often and I'm willing to bet their knowlwege is priceless and basically free. Goat Roper is part of that network and I'm sure he can attest that there seems to be some knowlegeable people there.

Jusy my $.02 because I am learn much better hands-on and in-person versus dvd, books, etc.

Z28Envy
07-15-2009, 05:47 PM
In lieu of the $900, I'd take some local lessons at Art's, etc. or even have her join a local photography network. There's a gang of photogs who assemble quite often and I'm willing to bet their knowlwege is priceless and basically free. Goat Roper is part of that network and I'm sure he can attest that there seems to be some knowlegeable people there.

Jusy my $.02 because I am learn much better hands-on and in-person versus dvd, books, etc.

I learn much better hands-on and would like to find out more about this group. The one thing I really want to find is a class for photoshop.

domokun
07-15-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree with dirty, use that 900 on a lens and tag along at some local photo group events. read up on POTN and FM.

jamest
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I would look at your local technical college. It looks like Moraine Park has offered a course on digital photography at some point.

http://www.morainepark.edu/pages/112.asp

She probably already has read and gathered all the info a basic photo course would offer but the feedback of the critiques will be the most benefical. I know MIAD offers adult non-credit courses but with your location probably isn't realistic.

DirtyMax
07-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I learn much better hands-on and would like to find out more about this group.

Here you go. Feel free to sign up, lurk, attend, etc. I keep telling myself I'm going to get to some of these but time never allows it.

http://photo.meetup.com/102/

Z28Envy
07-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Here you go. Feel free to sign up, lurk, attend, etc. I keep telling myself I'm going to get to some of these but time never allows it.

http://photo.meetup.com/102/

I will check it out! Thanks!