PDA

View Full Version : Hero....

johnny--2k
07-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Amen!!!!! Think about this for a few minutes!!

This was written by a soldier in iraq....

okay, i need to rant.

I was just watching the news, and i caught part of a report on michael jackson. As we all know, jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villian to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and i respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when one man dies, the whole of america loses their minds with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to entertain people, the amercian people find the need to flock to a memorial in hollywood , and even congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing? Am i missing something here? One man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those soldiers who have died to give us freedom?

All those soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the constitution and the united states of america. Where is there moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a soldier dies, there are more people saying "good ridence," and "thank god for ieds?" when did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of good men and women, that they can arbitrarily blow off thier deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "pop icon?"

i think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence in congress for michael jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in iraq and afghanistan . They need to publicly recognize every life that has been lost so that the american people can live their callous little lives in the luxory and freedom that we, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

Sorry if i have offended, but i needed to say it. Feel free to pass this along if you want.

Remember these five words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military; "so that others may live..."

A BIG THANKS to all those serving in the armed forces from me, i couldn't do what you do. God Bless and God Speed!

Feature Pony
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
NEVER FORGET!!!! Freedom isn't free!!! R.I.P. all of those that have lost their lifes fighting for this country in all the wars we have been in!!

Nix
07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Amen brother and God Bless.

Excellent rant and exactly what I have been thinking these past 2 weeks.

kornholio788
07-14-2009, 03:16 PM
I couldn't agree more.

For all the soldiers out there in every form or shape that serve our country in some form or another. Thank you! You don't get near the credit you deserve.

URLOZIN
07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
AWESOME! Thanks to all soldiers!

johnny--2k
07-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Agreed. I couldn't have said it any better than this guy did!

johnny--2k
07-14-2009, 05:23 PM
So, I posted this on another forum, and here is a response I got, along with my retort to that response....

Discuss:

So Memorial Day and Veterans Day don't count? Am I mistaken, Isn't Memorial day to pay respect for the countless men and women who have died to protect our country? Veterans day to pay respect to the men and women who fought for our country and lived? Im not trying to bash the guy, but you would figure being in the military he/she would actually know this.

My Response:

I can see that point Jon, but in all honesty, these are holidays, most people just see them as an excuse to get out of work and have a bbq. A big majority of people and media dont broadcast/celebrate on memorial day or veterans day and have a moment of silence for fallen or surviving members of the armed forces, they have a parade, give out candy to kids, and party....

I think it's lost it's meaning as a day to pay respect vs a day to have some fun and relax if that makes sense. That's what I think this guy is trying to say. We have lost touch with reality. Same thing goes for anyone in a powerful position.

For example, Clinton. Big fuckin deal, some floozy sucked is balls and he stuck a cigar up her cooter, if it was Joe Schmoe down the street, no one would have given a flying fuck. Because he's the president, it's a national fucking crisis....I just think thats complete BS honestly. I understand it's wrong, but it's not front page news for weeks on end, he did it, fine, tell your damn story and get it over with, don't drag the guy endlessly through the mud for one mistake....

Anyways, sorry for going OT a bit there. My point is, although we have days for vets and fallen soldiers, I don't think that's what people see those days as anymore, and they just need to be reminded that these people are the real heros. Without them, there would be no Michale Jackson to mourn for!

HITMAN
07-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Bless all of you that have, are, and will serve in America's armed forces. You all have my eternal gratitude. This is for you...

JUST A COMMON SOLDIER

(A Soldier Died Today)

by A. Lawrence Vaincourt

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast,

And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past.

Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,

In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho' sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,

All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke.

But we'll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away,

And the world's a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,

For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.

Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,

And the world won't note his passing, though a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state,

While thousands note their passing and proclaim that they were great.

Papers tell their whole life stories, from the time that they were young,

But the passing of a soldier goes unnoticed and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land

A guy who breaks his promises and cons his fellow man?

Or the ordinary fellow who, in times of war and strife,

Goes off to serve his Country and offers up his life?

A politician's stipend and the style in which he lives

Are sometimes disproportionate to the service that he gives.

While the ordinary soldier, who offered up his all,

Is paid off with a medal and perhaps, a pension small.

It's so easy to forget them for it was so long ago,

That the old Bills of our Country went to battle, but we know

It was not the politicians, with their compromise and ploys,

Who won for us the freedom that our Country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand,

Would you want a politician with his ever-shifting stand?

Or would you prefer a soldier, who has sworn to defend

His home, his kin and Country and would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier and his ranks are growing thin,

But his presence should remind us we may need his like again.

For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part

Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,

Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline in a paper that would say,

Our Country is in mourning, for a soldier died today.

© 1987 A. Lawrence Vaincourt