PDA

View Full Version : "Double" towing? Is it legal?

BoosTT
07-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I've been wondering this for a while now, since you don't see it too often. I'm not sure what the offical name is for this is, but say when a class A motor home is towing a car and then behind the car it is towing a boat.

One vehicle plus two trailers = legal or not? I'm not talking about semi trucks either. I've seen a tahoe towing a pop up camper and a boat too.

WickedSix
07-13-2009, 09:43 PM
legal if you have a CDL

BoosTT
07-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Just wondering... is two trailers the max then?

y2kws6
07-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I just seen this lately also. I thought the same thing. It was one big as rig if you ask me.

Dan

xxsn0blindxx
07-13-2009, 09:53 PM
There is an overall length restriction. My grandfather used to pull his boat behind his 5th wheel and I know he couldn't go over 16' on his boot based on the length of the trailer and truck. Not sure on the CDL requirement as my grandfather was a truck driver. The rules also vary by state.

wrath
07-13-2009, 10:49 PM
I've been wondering this for a while now, since you don't see it too often. I'm not sure what the offical name is for this is, but say when a class A motor home is towing a car and then behind the car it is towing a boat.

One vehicle plus two trailers = legal or not? I'm not talking about semi trucks either. I've seen a tahoe towing a pop up camper and a boat too.

It's legal to tow two trailers or even three with a commercial driver's license. There are minimum length requirements set by the federal government to allow people to tow tandems. Many states have banned triples.

Most states do not allow you to bumper-pull a trailer and then have something behind it. Many states allow you to tow a trailer behind a 5th wheel, but only with a CDL.

You have to be pretty fscking crazy to bumper pull a camper behind a Tahoe and then have a boat behind that. Even with a weight distributing hitch with sway control on a 15,000lb 2 5/16" ball you have to be pretty fscking nuts.

PonyKiller87
07-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Hardest thing about it is planning where you go because there is no backing up. If you pull into a gas station and cant make the turn to get back out, start backing up your going to make a big mess out of it.

jbiscuit
07-14-2009, 07:58 AM
just saw someone doing this Friday! Its scary!

TheRX7Project
07-14-2009, 09:33 AM
I saw this the other day myself. Seemed like a junk hauler, he had 2 junky looking wood-sided open trailers in tandem.

-stew-
07-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Two trailers is called "doubles" three is called "triples" Unsure if a CDL is required, but I think it only is at or over a certain weight; as with a single trailer. Triples are not legal in Wisconsin. I believe you need an endorsement on your CDL to pull doubles and another to pull triples. And two trailers can be backed up, you gotta be good, but it can be done.

cyclone70
07-14-2009, 12:12 PM
My neighbor pulls his 30 ft camper and 25 ft boat trailer everytime we go camping, but yes he has a CDL. I will ask if he knows any limits on size or weight

PonyKiller87
07-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Its easy to get the doubles endorsement on your CDL, its just 1 more test on the computer, took me about 10 or 15 min.

Yes you can back it up but its not easy and will most likely not go where you want it to. It sure is fun watching someone try and do it though.

The other big thing you have to pay attention to is making sure you have enough tongue weight on the 1st trailer. When you hang the 2nd trailer off the bumper of the first it takes weight off the tongue of trailer 1, if you take off to much trailer one will want to sway and shimmy and then you look like a big snake slithering down the road.

I wouldn't suggest doing this unless your 1st trailer is a 5th wheel or a gooseneck.