PDA

View Full Version : ~ Golf club fitting ~

awsomeears
07-12-2009, 10:49 PM
My swing is turning out to be decent, still have some issues but since I'm done growing and feeling great I think its time to buy NEW clubs and have them fitted to me.

Currently I'm using Mizzuno Zoid w/graphite shafts, I bought these from my brother and just started using them. From what I know there expensive as hell and probably too advance for me.

I would like to find somebody that knows there stuff, I'd like to get my swing analyzed w/ my height shoe size and color of my underwear :goof You get the point.

93 Coupe
07-13-2009, 02:05 PM
I know Golf Galaxy on 76th and Layton will be able to analyze your swing and adjust your club length if needed.

SmokinRAM114
07-13-2009, 07:38 PM
how bout a bcm golf outing :goof i suck but like playing!

Smokey1226
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
My swing is turning out to be decent, still have some issues but since I'm done growing and feeling great I think its time to buy NEW clubs and have them fitted to me.

Currently I'm using Mizzuno Zoid w/graphite shafts, I bought these from my brother and just started using them. From what I know there expensive as hell and probably too advance for me.

I would like to find somebody that knows there stuff, I'd like to get my swing analyzed w/ my height shoe size and color of my underwear :goof You get the point.
in all honestly, call a PING fitter and spend the money to get fit. They are so far advanced in their fitting that the Fitter will give you so many specs youre going to leave confused!

From there, you could either take your current clubs into a fitter and have your clubs changed to what the Ping fitter feels would be better for your swing. Lie Angle, Loft per Club, Length, Shaft flex, shaft length, shaft characterists, Grip firmness, grip thickness, amount of grip tape, ect ect

Im a Mizuno guy, so i would love to see you with a custom set of Mizuno MX-200's. Mizuno's Forged Feel is like crack, the more you hit it in the sweet spot the more you are going to want to play.

Once you get to the point where you are hitting the sweet spot the majority of the time, you are more than welcome to hit my MP-32's Blades. The sweet spot is incredibly small, but when you hit it....OMFG :banana

however Ping's are known to be insanely forgiving, so who knows maybe you will fall in love at the fitting?

awsomeears
07-13-2009, 08:44 PM
in all honestly, call a PING fitter and spend the money to get fit. They are so far advanced in their fitting that the Fitter will give you so many specs youre going to leave confused!

From there, you could either take your current clubs into a fitter and have your clubs changed to what the Ping fitter feels would be better for your swing. Lie Angle, Loft per Club, Length, Shaft flex, shaft length, shaft characterists, Grip firmness, grip thickness, amount of grip tape, ect ect

Im a Mizuno guy, so i would love to see you with a custom set of Mizuno MX-200's. Mizuno's Forged Feel is like crack, the more you hit it in the sweet spot the more you are going to want to play.

Once you get to the point where you are hitting the sweet spot the majority of the time, you are more than welcome to hit my MP-32's Blades. The sweet spot is incredibly small, but when you hit it....OMFG :banana

however Ping's are known to be insanely forgiving, so who knows maybe you will fall in love at the fitting?

Interesting...

Chad for starters I'm not even sure if I should be hitting Graphite or Steel, I would imagine a fitter could educate me on this.

How did you choose your clubs ?

Car Guy
07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
how bout a bcm golf outing :goof i suck but like playing!

:D http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?p=560418#post560418

Smokey1226
07-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Interesting...

Chad for starters I'm not even sure if I should be hitting Graphite or Steel, I would imagine a fitter could educate me on this.

How did you choose your clubs ?
Graphite and steel are both great shafts. When chooseing there are 2 major important things.

1) If you have some kind of Elbow soreness/injury....the impact when hitting a golf ball is softened with Graphite vs Steel. That is why a majority of older golfers switch to Graphite, it wont make their arms/elbows hurt the next morning.

2) Swing speed, what is your normal swing speed? How is your normal Tempo? NOTTT when you are trying to hit a 400yard drive, but when you have a nice 120yard shot and you are going to hit a full shot.

If you have a slower swing speed you could get away with a Graphite shaft, it will not only give you a few extra yards per club in distance but will help get the ball up in their air.

On the other hand a Graphite IRON Shaft will NEVER be as stiff as a Steel shaft can be. You do not want your shafts too whipy, or you are going to sacrifice feel/yardage/aim

So if you have a faster swing speed, steel shafts are what you should be looking into. being younger and agile, im sure you should be on a Steel shaft. From there you need to figure out if you should be on a Regular flex steel shaft, Stiff Steel Shaft or X Stiff shaft.

Smokey1226
07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
I chose my clubs by spending a lot of time around very smart golf instructors and listened to what they have learned over the years. I then while working at a golf course, used the lie board and checked to see what i needed for my lie angle. Had a co-worker help me with getting the correct club measurement.

After that, i went to one of the local Golf Demo Days and tried EVERY club, that was there to offer from all the different compaines. <<< I rec. that to Everyone!

Car Guy
07-13-2009, 09:04 PM

The set Brad has now are Mizuno T-zoids with graphite shafts......

BRAD: post up a picture(s) of the shafts, I'm curious as to what Chad will say about them......

awsomeears
07-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Yea some little bird told me there $1k shafts.......................

Car Guy
07-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Yea some little bird told me there $1k shafts.......................

.....and that's what I was told when I bought them......:durr

:pics

Smokey1226
07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
$1k dollar shafts dont mean anything fella's. In fact i recently built a Cobra L4V X head 9* head, with a mitsubishi diamana whiteboard X shaft. aka $400 driver shaft and same one Tiger/Els/Phil use.

The club should of been amazing, but it was nothing special. I went back and tried it against my old driver and i hit my old one 8 yards farther and my % hitting the Fairway was better with it. So i sold the driver i built!

Btw: My True Tempur Black Gold Iron shafts are SEXYYY

SmokinRAM114
07-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Btw: My True Tempur Black Gold Iron shafts are SEXYYY

oh yea?:stare :rolf

theavenger333
07-14-2009, 12:30 AM
you can go to just abuot any decent actual golf SHOP or even golf galaxy and get fit properly. if they use video and or have a range/simulator, it can be done easily. Mizuno zoids are good clubs.... but not the most forgiving. brad i don't know your skill level, but until your game is pretty consistent, especially your ball striking, a proper fitting won't help you leaps and bounds. dont get me wrong, when i got fit it helped me shave a few strokes, but that was after a lot of practice and coaching. personally i swear by Taylor Made irons. i hit taylor made's stiff steel shafts, but on my woods and driver i hit regular flex. it's just how i swing. what i'm saying is you "shouldnt" be hitting steel or graphite, its more of what you hit well. i hit my McGregor 5 wood 230 consistently, it's my best club in my bag, it's cheap, and it's prettty old now, but i hit it well. i've tried lots of newer stuff, i just don't hit it as well

Crawlin
07-14-2009, 08:14 AM
And remember, not all company's shaft ratings are the same.

A Callaway stiff shift is like a regular shaft in the Taylormade line or King Cobra, etc...

I've hit everything and anything possible. I did the same thing Chad did. Where I golf constantly has open demo days where the manufacturers bring their stuff in and help fit you as well. My instructor fit me, and like Chad said, with the Ping stuff there was SO much stuff to go through and try. Luckily I didn't have to remember it all since I was buying a set of irons and they just ordered it up the way I needed it.

It's amazing how much of a difference feel-wise there is when you finally get fitted. I was playing with my father's clubs for so long and his were just a tiny bit off from where I needed to be. But with my new clubs(well 3 years old now), I was hitting balls a lot more consistantly.

GO out and hit as much as you can. I did the same thing for the driver I bought last year. I sacrificed 10-15yds of distance to get the one I hit more consistantly and felt better on the swing.

I played with a guy last Sunday, very good golfer, nothing PGA like obviously, but just a good par guy with occasional mess ups. He was hitting the OLD SCHOOL big bertha like 310-315. The ones before the heads got to be like a basketball. Just is an all around decent club for him.

Smokey1226
07-14-2009, 04:44 PM
^^^ agreed 100%, the don't let the name on the club play with your mind. Hit every club out there, usually every Rep at the Golf Demo Days is really nice and will try to put something together for you on the spot so you can try it!

And "NEW" doesnt mean better, this game is all about playing with your head. If you walk onto the Tee box and tell yourself you are going to play awesome golf and STAY with that thought the whole round you well play well, weather thats with new equipment/old equipment/Titleist/Ping/Wilson Staff ect ect

Hell my driver the one ive been playing the last 5 years is only 400cc SZ 400. With a Graf Blue Shaft. It will make your ear's bleed when i hit it perfect but it will fly forever and be on a laser line.

Never let your EGO get infront of your game. I tried playing with an "X" shaft Whiteboard, and i had to GO after the ball to get it in the air. That isnt my swing, my swing is nice tempo and accelerate through the ball, not kill it from the top. So the Graf Blue fit me perfectly!

Anakonda69
07-14-2009, 04:50 PM
check into tourswinggolf.com i was fitted a few years back and could get all custom set-up woods and irons for less then just the ping irons i was looking at were. i have yet to get new clubs due to my house taking all my money but i was pleased with their fitting and service.

Karps TA
07-14-2009, 05:05 PM
IMO golf equipment is 95% mental just like the rest of the game unless you're a near scratch golfer and know how to work a ball.

I mean really if you're already getting to the green in regulation, what difference is the clubs going to make? So you're picking up an extra 10 yards and now using 1 less club in your selection. You're still getting to the green in your same amount of shots. Putting and short game is going to be where you'll see the most improvement. The putter I think is the most important club to be sized.

Personally I like going to demo days trying out clubs and buying based off what feels the best to me and gives me the most confidence. More then anything else it's the confidence in the club that means the most. If you know you kill a club when you hit it, you have the confidence to make the shot and will make it. If you have a club that you just can't ever hit worth a shit, then you might as well get rid of it and buy something else, cause you'll never hit it.

-stew-
07-14-2009, 06:18 PM
FML, I thought the title of this shit was "golf club fighting". Buncha dudes talkin about their shafts. Weak...

Smokey1226
07-14-2009, 06:25 PM
although i agree fully with your statement about needing to be Confident at addressing the ball is the most important....i do disagree with the clubs being just mental. You really have to play a LOT or a lot of different courses to really see the benefit.

Without going into a whole lot of detail i will explain the example you gave, the 1 less club and 10 extra yards makes a HUGEEE difference.

1) Your spin on your 6 iron is going to be helluva lot more than your 5...and so on from there.

2) those 10 yards could make the difference in you using an iron and a 3W....and to most people trying to hit a 3W accurate and straight is a tough task, exp off the ground!

I agree 100% with the wedge and putter statement though. My wedges have saved my butt in so many Match's.

Karps TA
07-14-2009, 06:37 PM
But that's kinda my point. Unless you're getting down to a single digit handicap, I don;'t see how spending big bucks for specially fitted clubs will help. That's kinda what you do to put you over the top and get those last strokes in. There's other places that will help your golf game/score that don't cost quite as much. If you're at the point where your spinning back approach shots into the green, then maybe a personalized club fitting is going to be worth it. But if you're shooting 80's and 90's, I think it's a waste of money.

I've played with guys who spent a ton of cash to have Ping specially fit them with clubs, and they still shoot in the 90's.

I've spent alot of cash on clubs thru the years and most of it hasn't improved my game nearly as much as playing every week in a league.

Smokey1226
07-14-2009, 07:00 PM
my bad, i didnt see where you put low handicap. Then Yes i agree. In fact, i do often take my old set (which were not custom, just off the shelf clubs) and i play damn close to the same.

theavenger333
07-14-2009, 07:13 PM
yeah, the aspect of clubs being all mental is definatly not true. the more you tend to spend, the better quality product you get. for example, i hit TaylorMade Rac irons, their first line, they're incredibly forgiving. you don't have to strike the ball perfect for a good hit, as opposed to my irons before. they're considered game improvement irons, the next step would be a stiffer set or even to a blade iron. i'm just not that good yet though.

Karps TA
07-14-2009, 07:22 PM
I wasn't saying Kmart clubs vs. a new set of Pings. But if you have a 2 year old set of Callaways now, getting a fitted set of Pings isn't going to drop 10 strokes off your game magically.

My point with that is this example. I used to have a TM Burner 3 wood that I loved. I could smoke that 3 wood off the grass from damn near anywhere. After a couple years my buddy, a club pro, talked me into getting rid of it for a new Callaway (name escapes me was before the X460 line). I never hit a single good shot with that club. NEVER. Everytime I had to pull it out I knew that was a lost cause. I'd dribble the fucker, or hook it into the pond. Drove me nuts and made me scared to even use it. After 2 years I gave up and traded it in to get a TM R7 3 wood just cause at a demo day I hit it good. I have so much confidence with that 3W now I've taken and made shots I never would have dreamed of with the Callaway. Do I honestly think the Callaway club sucks? No my buddy hits the shit out of it. But I couldn't and it was in my head that I couldn't. But I bet if I still had my old TM I'd still be hitting that well as well. It's mental with clubs.

awsomeears
07-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Anyone know of Demo days around WI ?

Never knew these were out there, I would love to select from a wide variety of clubs and wack some balls.

theavenger333
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
there are demo days at Galaxy like 3 times a summer. most ranges have them, the one on Hwy and Layton off the hill has them all the time. the galaxy ones are fun, i hit every single mizuno and ping and titleist blade iron i could, and hit them terribly, but i figured out, i cannot hit blades.

awsomeears
07-14-2009, 11:43 PM
there are demo days at Galaxy like 3 times a summer. most ranges have them, the one on Hwy and Layton off the hill has them all the time. the galaxy ones are fun, i hit every single mizuno and ping and titleist blade iron i could, and hit them terribly, but i figured out, i cannot hit blades.

Hmmm no shit, I will have to call them and find out exact days.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup

Smokey1226
07-15-2009, 12:05 AM
I wubbbb Blades

http://www.golfakademie-gmbh.de/shop/golfschlaeger/archiv_2007/mizuno/mizuno_mp_32_eisen_01_smallpic.jpg

My babies! :headbang

Crawlin
07-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Silver Spring has them every once in awhile too if I remember right.

While I will agree that fitted clubs aren't gonna magically make you better... what it does do is make sure you aren't altering your swing in a negative way to compensate for a bad setup. Then all those bad habits will continue to be worked. Fucking around with a club that's 2" too long or too short, you will definitely be fucking up a natural tempo swing in one way or another.