PDA

View Full Version : Laid OFF!

pOrk
07-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Damnit all, I knew it was coming as I am the only guy in my department with less then 5 years in. Was supposed to be a two week shut down, got the call this morning it will be at least 3 weeks, if not 5. Perfect timing :flipoff2: I can't imagine it will be getting better anytime soon, and I really need more money as 4 grand of my salary disappeared when the company down sized the first time back in March.

Anyone hiring? I can learn any job and I am extremely motivated :thumbsup I have mad skills in fireplace installation and trouble shooting, cultured stone masonry, manual brake press,and manual labor :thumbsup

BOSS LX
07-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Damnit all, I knew it was coming as I am the only guy in my department with less then 5 years in. Was supposed to be a two week shut down, got the call this morning it will be at least 3 weeks, if not 5. Perfect timing :flipoff2: I can't imagine it will be getting better anytime soon, and I really need more money as 4 grand of my salary disappeared when the company down sized the first time back in March.

Anyone hiring? I can learn any job and I am extremely motivated :thumbsup I have mad skills in fireplace installation and trouble shooting, cultured stone masonry, manual brake press,and manual labor :thumbsup

I am trying dude!

pOrk
07-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I am trying dude!

They need me back! :rolf And I need to go back!

BOSS LX
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
They need me back! :rolf And I need to go back!

I know! It doesn't look good until winter.

pOrk
07-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Would they wait till spring and lay me off again like last time? That would be no good

0TransAm0
07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
is this going to affect your house buying? sucks that you got laid off.

pOrk
07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
I sure hope not. I'm STILL waiting to hear back from the listing agent, the know wont return phone calls or emails and I still haven't received any accepted offer paper work from the bank. This foreclosure crap is ridiculous

0TransAm0
07-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I sure hope not. I'm STILL waiting to hear back from the listing agent, the know wont return phone calls or emails and I still haven't received any accepted offer paper work from the bank. This foreclosure crap is ridiculous

tell me about it we have been waiting for just under 2 months on our short sale.. our bank approved the loan. the home owners of the home we are trying to by accepted our offer(not that it really matters) but it is ultimately up to there bank.. its currently in the 2ND phase of negotiations of 3 phases... waiting sux!

but we get t the least weekly updates from our buying agent and the realter selling the house.

GTSLOW
07-10-2009, 10:13 PM

GoArmy.com

domokun
07-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Eric, I gave you AT&T offer :)

just need a resume!

y2kws6
07-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Sorry to hear the news. Unemployment has not been that bad lately. I have been getting $363 plus an extra $25 per week. I do not know what the extra $25 is for or from, but I am not complaining or questioning it.

Dan

pOrk
07-13-2009, 01:58 PM
388 a week is max, and I will just barely max out. Still sucks, I'd rather be working. I've applied a few different places now I really don't want to go back to the company I'm working at now after the 3 weeks. My goal is to find something else :)

pOrk
07-13-2009, 01:59 PM
GoArmy.com

That will never happen

GTSLOW
07-13-2009, 02:24 PM
:rolf

Exitspeed
07-13-2009, 02:36 PM
This really sucks. I hope your able to find something and keep your real estate deal alive.

MoCkiN U
07-13-2009, 02:39 PM
That will never happen

pork has lots of pride and character two traits that would be great fits in our nations military and I would be proud to say I know he served BUT,

He is also strong willed and determined and those traits would not transfer well and for that reason I would suggest he didnt do that. he would have to give up too much of himself to serve. The person who comes out the other side of that wouldnt be the same.

Youll find work buddy. You always have

Doc Brown
07-13-2009, 02:45 PM
join the club :(

pOrk
07-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I honor those who fight for me, but I refuse to fight for things I don't believe in. Thanks for the good luck wishes :) Work is out there, I will be back at Metalcraft in 3 weeks if I cant find something better. This economy has to pick up sooner or later :)

wrath
07-13-2009, 07:35 PM
That sucks. But you're ambitious and industrious so it'll just give you an opportunity to hone those skills.

Doesn't look like this hit the news so are they purposely not laying off more than 50 people at a time now?

Things are bad when even my place has no job openings. And we've had a ton of people quit recently.

Inspector13
07-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Any experience with chimneys?? I got a buddy at work that is looking for some chimney work, but it's up in Portage.

pOrk
07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
What kinda chimney work?

Inspector13
07-16-2009, 08:30 AM
His chiminey is starting to crumble. He said it doesn't look too bad. If you PM me your email address he said that he can email you some pics of it.

pOrk
09-17-2009, 11:05 AM
My first layoff lasted 5 weeks, then I worked for 2 weeks and I'm in my 3rd week of layoff again. Free money is nice, but damn it gets boring as I slowly run out of work to do around the house.

Yooformula
09-17-2009, 11:19 AM
/\ holy shit aint that the truth!! going out of my mind with boredom!

Exitspeed
09-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Dude you can never run out of stuff to do in a new house.

Make some new concrete countertops. Start refinishing the cabinets, repaint the rooms. We've painted every room in our house at least twice since we've lived in over the last 4 years. Mostly because my wife is nuts, but we like the change.

When I was laid off I was more busy then then when i was working. Then I went back to work and tried to keep doing all the other things I was doing while laid off. I gotta stay busy though.

portponies
09-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I've been off since June 15th, and I think I'm busier now with my side work and home projects than ever before.

It's definately not boring over here.

Good luck with the job search.

pOrk
09-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I can't work on the house I've run out of money, Lisa is doing the kitchen on her own and every room in my house has fresh paint. Remodeling costs money

Exitspeed
09-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I can't work on the house I've run out of money, Lisa is doing the kitchen on her own and every room in my house has fresh paint. Remodeling costs money

Yeah...concrete counter tops are awesome and cheap though.

My rec room is gonna be concrete everything. lol

pOrk
09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah...concrete counter tops are awesome and cheap though.

My rec room is gonna be concrete everything. lol

I dunno where you are reading they are cheap, just the sealer alone ( food safe ) costs 200 bucks

Exitspeed
09-17-2009, 04:19 PM
I dunno where you are reading they are cheap, just the sealer alone ( food safe ) costs 200 bucks

Not reading...doing. I did one for my master bath. The thing cost me less then $200 total. If I would have had it done it would have been $1000 probably. But I'm a DIY'er. And so are you. That's why I brought it up.

And you can seal it with bees wax which is not $200. There's some good concrete forums out there too to get more info.

I was going for a weathered/warn look instead of the smooth contemporary look (which I could have also done). The pictures don't really do it justice. People can't believe I made it in my garage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/IMG_5709.jpg

It goes great with the slate tile I did.

95mustang302
09-17-2009, 04:25 PM
exit speed how did you do that, i want to do new counter tops in my house but i haven't decided what to do yet...

Exitspeed
09-17-2009, 04:29 PM
exit speed how did you do that, i want to do new counter tops in my house but i haven't decided what to do yet...

A form (made out of melamine), and quickcrete is the easy answer. :)

Terrible pics, but you get the idea when it was done.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/house08/IMG_6323.jpg

pOrk
09-17-2009, 07:41 PM
bees wax? Then you have to reseal it how often?

Exitspeed
09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
bees wax? Then you have to reseal it how often?

Yep, regualr ol bees wax that you can buy at Ace. I'm not sure how often you have to reseal it. I'd have to to check out the concrete forums to make sure.

It's a hell of a lot of fun to do too. :thumbsup

GTSLOW
09-17-2009, 09:31 PM
^ Looks really good man!

Yooformula
09-17-2009, 11:00 PM
kickass! looks awesome! do you happen to have a write up on how to do it?

95mustang302
09-17-2009, 11:16 PM
did you have to reinforce it with re-bar or anything?

Gregor
09-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I have been out of work for a few weeks now. I hear ya on the boredom factor. Its even worse when you apply for a job and you have all the training, ability and knowledge. But they would rather waste your time by hiring someone that doesn't have a clue how to do the the job just because their cheap labor.

Exitspeed
09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
^ Looks really good man!

kickass! looks awesome! do you happen to have a write up on how to do it?

Thanks. I could do a write up. It's a pretty straight forward process.

did you have to reinforce it with re-bar or anything?

Yes. You NEED re-bar for support. I used re-bar and carried the counter from the garage (where I made it) to my bathroom and it was fine.

I'll try and do a write up sometime in the near future for people that are interested.

This forum is very helpful too if you wanna gather info from the pros.
http://www.concretecountertopforums.com/

Yooformula
09-18-2009, 10:27 AM
very interested and look forward the write up.

Exitspeed
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM
very interested and look forward the write up.

It'll be without pics though unfortunately. For some reason I didn't take any at the time. Totally unlike me.

95mustang302
09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
thats fine, no pics is ok, I just want to know how to do this...