PDA

View Full Version : Where to take a bent wheel

Feature Pony
07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
So I got my 18 inch true forged wheels and the rear wheel came bent. Its a 3 piece wheel and it is on the back of the wheel like some one dropped it. I had venus ford mount 3 of them they say the 4th wheel was like that, Steve at true forged wants to file a claim with fed ex, I just wan to get it fixed fast! The car is going to be at the EAA fly in so I want the new wheels on it. Anybody know of any good places that will fix this wheel. I figure by the time I pay to have it shipped to CA and back I'll be at least $75 in the hole with shipping, so maybe hoping to find a place to fix it around that cost.

Feature Pony
07-08-2009, 10:02 AM
pic of wheel

07ROUSHSTG3
07-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Ouch!!

Yooformula
07-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I've posted before but shipping for my rim was $25 and it cost $75 to fix it but they removed 3 serious bends in the lip on 2 of my wheels.

email them a picture and they will tell you the true the cost...
http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/Repairs.htm

HY35F2T
07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
So you bought it new and it came bent?

jbiscuit
07-08-2009, 11:02 AM
no way I would accept that man. I think the right thing to do is send it back. If it was a new wheel, I'd be fighting them to get a brand new replacement!

animal
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Why the hell should you have to pay to ship it back? At worst I'd be arguing they need to eat shipping the new one back to you.

shawn
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
i use to work at a tire shop and theres a guy that came in with rim damage similar to yours. all i did was mount the rim on a tire machine. used the torch to heat up the rim and just bent it back using a rubber mallet. seems like a long shot, but i had no problems when it came to mounting the tire on the rim or balancing it

Feature Pony
07-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Why the hell should you have to pay to ship it back? At worst I'd be arguing they need to eat shipping the new one back to you.

easier said than done they are custom built 18x11 with the flush offset, it took 6 weeks to get these built. I might have to disassemble the wheel and send the bent part out and reassemble.

animal
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
easier said than done they are custom built 18x11 with the flush offset, it took 6 weeks to get these built. I might have to disassemble the wheel and send the bent part out and reassemble.

It's not a technical issue, nor a special part issue, it's a customer service issue. Call them up and demand they send you a working wheel or take this one back and fix it at their expense. You paid good cash for wheels custom or otherwise and likely paid to ship them. It is a completely reasonable request that when they don't send you what you ordered that they fix it at their expense. If they don't do that, you have a legitimate thing to talk to a manager about resolving. Any resolution should include them eating the shipping to fix the problem. I realize you're time pressed on this and it's unfortunate it happened but I'd never let it stand paying as much as you probably paid for those.

If you try to fix it yourself and fail why would they take it back afterwards?

jbiscuit
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I learned that its better to get it done right the first time around. I'm with animal on this...if you try and have it fixed and they eff it up more, then what? I would send it back to them on their dime and DEMAND they replace it/repair it. You won't have it for your show coming up and that's the bummer but you are better off having them make it right

USMARINE1108
07-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Maybe it was dented while shipping. I'd get ahold of the shipping company and see what they have to say about it. Either way, you don't need to pay for it. I sure as hell wouldnt.

Philly-O
07-08-2009, 11:15 PM
just have them send you the inner hoop and replace just that. being an inner, repairing it is pretty easy also. there is a mobile rim repair guy that services international auto on hwy100...you can stop by and ask for his info.

Feature Pony
07-09-2009, 09:47 AM
just have them send you the inner hoop and replace just that. being an inner, repairing it is pretty easy also. there is a mobile rim repair guy that services international auto on hwy100...you can stop by and ask for his info.

Cool thanks I took the rim apart last night, pretty easy to do, and going to ship the inner hoop back and they are going to send me a new one. Its ruffly a week turn around, otherwise if I sent the whole wheel in I would be waiting 4-6 weeks turn around.

Philly-O
07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
make sure you clean both wheel surfaces REALLY well and use a really good quality silicone caulk when you put them back together.