PDA

View Full Version : would a pilot bearing cause

HY35F2T
07-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Would a pilot bearing cause a trans to not want to go into gear when running?This is on a 95 f150 5spd.Clutch is brand new trans was just rebuilt.Im stumped and ready to just sell the damn thing for 800bux.

RanJer
07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Same situation with my 90 Ranger, ended up being the slave cylinder.

HY35F2T
07-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Same situation with my 90 Ranger, ended up being the slave cylinder.

replaced that all new slave/master/clutch kit only thing left pilot bearing old one seemed in great shape didnt grind or sound crunchy when i spun it.

idk trans is almost out guess ill throw a new pilot in it for the hell of it and check tq specs again for the 2nd time.

juicedimpss
07-07-2009, 04:34 PM
you sure the master and slave are bled completely?

Russ Jerome
07-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Yes a pilot bearing can cause it to drag but it sounds like you felt good about its condition. Ford has the WORST hydraulic release system in the light and med duty trucks, has given plenty of techs hours and hours of greif....me too.

With the clutch released go under and manualy compress the slave by prying on the lever, system is designed to self bleed internaly, even if your aftermarket slave has a bleeder leave it closed while doing this. There should be at least and inch or so of travel colapsing even though the clutch is released, air bubble will become visible in the resevoir.

There is a correct peddle actuator rod length, some aftermarket masters come with an updated rod and a measurment of installed and static length in the instructions.

HY35F2T
07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
yeah im pretty stumped my self i guess ill just throw in a new pilot bearing,re torque the pressure plate bolts and check them.And go from there.high life in the fridge if anyone wants to check out the issue.

Russ Jerome
07-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Have someone pump the clutch peddle and hold while you watch for the slave to retract, should stay all the way out while they hold or there is air in the system.

modmachz
07-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Don't waste your time with a pilot bearing if the old one felt smooth!!!!!!!!
Def not The Problem, I would look at the clutch slave before anything else...

HY35F2T
07-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Yes a pilot bearing can cause it to drag but it sounds like you felt good about its condition. Ford has the WORST hydraulic release system in the light and med duty trucks, has given plenty of techs hours and hours of greif....me too.

With the clutch released go under and manualy compress the slave by prying on the lever, system is designed to self bleed internaly, even if your aftermarket slave has a bleeder leave it closed while doing this. There should be at least and inch or so of travel colapsing even though the clutch is released, air bubble will become visible in the resevoir.

There is a correct peddle actuator rod length, some aftermarket masters come with an updated rod and a measurment of installed and static length in the instructions.

:thumbsupJust pumped the pedal for 2mins and its good now.:rolleyes: after ive had the trans off hmm 3 times.thanx again.

Russ Jerome
07-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Cool!