PDA

View Full Version : Damage pics.

0TransAm0
07-06-2009, 05:20 PM
this sucks. if its not one thing its another....

busted upper shock mount. and flat spotted the shaft on the shock... just ordered a new shock and mount. and the car is sitting in the garage on stands..:crying

Yooformula
07-06-2009, 05:43 PM
sorry to hear that bro.

Karps TA
07-06-2009, 06:25 PM
never seen that before. Neat!

0TransAm0
07-06-2009, 06:30 PM
and the kicker is, the upper mount and shock is less than 2 years old.... i think the nut that goes on the top of the shock wasn't tightened down all the way...good thing i caught it b4 i put the shock threw the fender....

95 TA - The Beast
07-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Are you sure there is a the upper shock mount top plate in place?

It should be a large rubber covered metal plate that sits on top fo the upper mount and sandwiches the area you had break between itself and the shock rod.

I don't know if it is a matter of the factory leaving that plate out, but I have personally done at least 3 or 4 f-bodies that had at least one plate missing, and 1 that had both plates missing. I woudl really hate to believe there are that many shaddy shops out there that they intentionally leave those plates out knowing it will be quiet for a period of time and then folks will be back and they can rape them for new balljoints and other unnecessary stuff knowing damn well they just need to put a new upper mount and plate in.

If you go on Rockauto you can lookup the front suspension components and you will notice the plate I am talking about, as it fits into the recess in the top mount. When the whole is bolts back together on the car it actually is sandwiched between the upper mount and the shock tower itself.

95 TA - The Beast
07-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Here is the plate:

http://www.darklogic.net/Upper Mount Plate.bmp

It fits inside of the item you posted a broken pic of:

http://www.darklogic.net/Upper Shock Mount.bmp

I may add that in your pics I would almost swear it was missing because of the amount of rust on the rubber of the mount. If it were in there it wouldn't have any rust in that area as it is rubber on rubber.

0TransAm0
07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
^^ i have that plate in.. it was in. i put the shocks on to begin with when i lowerd it... so it was all my fault to begin with.. i knew that i didn't run the bolt down all the way when i lowerd it just didn't think it would cause this big of a problem...my uncle(a mechanic) did the driverside and had to go home... so i did the passenger side..and i fucked it up...lol

live and learn i guess... good thing it didn't get worse than it was and put the shock threw the fender and hood.

i also did the lower balljoint's about 3 weeks ago.. somehow the castle nut came loose.(cotter pin broke) and when i checked it only had about 2 threds left to hold it on.....good thing i decided to check it out when i did. or i would have a hfty bill on my hands...

Reverend Cooper
07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
not really being a dick,but maybe you need someone more qualified doing your car or helping you.your gonna kill yourself or someone else it looks like.

Korndogg
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
i also did the lower balljoint's about 3 weeks ago.. somehow the castle nut came loose.(cotter pin broke) and when i checked it only had about 2 threds left to hold it on.....good thing i decided to check it out when i did. or i would have a hfty bill on my hands...

Please god tell me you didn't reuse the cotter pin.

1320PNY
07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
not really being a dick,but ...

How can you start a post with this and not be a dick? :rolf

Reverend Cooper
07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I said I wasn't trying to be^ It's the all new softer less abrasive me.

0TransAm0
07-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Please god tell me you didn't reuse the cotter pin.

nope used a new one... not my fault that it broke.

0TransAm0
07-07-2009, 07:21 AM
not really being a dick,but maybe you need someone more qualified doing your car or helping you.your gonna kill yourself or someone else it looks like.

i knew what i did wrong right after i put it all back together... i was just to lazy to rip it all apart again..

i don't think it was the fact that the bolt wasn't ran down all the way to begin with. i think that the only reason why the upper shock mount broke wasa because some how NOT my fault the NEW cotter key broke and the caslte nut started to loosen... so it had all the play in it on every bump...

i know what im doing. and i knew what i did wrong.

0TransAm0
07-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Are you sure there is a the upper shock mount top plate in place?

It should be a large rubber covered metal plate that sits on top of the upper mount and sandwiches the area you had break between itself and the shock rod.

I don't know if it is a matter of the factory leaving that plate out, but I have personally done at least 3 or 4 f-bodies that had at least one plate missing, and 1 that had both plates missing. I would really hate to believe there are that many shaddy shops out there that they intentionally leave those plates out knowing it will be quiet for a period of time and then folks will be back and they can rape them for new balljoints and other unnecessary stuff knowing damn well they just need to put a new upper mount and plate in.

If you go on Rockauto you can lookup the front suspension components and you will notice the plate I am talking about, as it fits into the recess in the top mount. When the whole is bolts back together on the car it actually is sandwiched between the upper mount and the shock tower itself.

well as it turns out your right. i looked again before putting it back together and i thought you were talking about a rubber piece that goes between the A-arm and the shock tower itself.. i just ordered the piece i need and napa will have it by 2pm. :thumbsup:

thanks for your help i appreciate it a lot and even more so because you didn't say i was "under qualified" to work on my car.. :chair: and didn't talk shit about it. you just helped. if i ever meet you ima buy you a beer.

i can say this tho. that when we did the lowering of the car about 2 years ago those plates were NOT in otherwise i would have gotten new ones or hell even used the old ones..

95 TA - The Beast
07-07-2009, 09:27 AM
No problem, glad you got it figured out... Like I said I noticed on quite a few cars those plates missing.

Any idea if your car had the original stock shocks/springs to begin with?

If so, did you buy the car new, or is it possible the previous owner had lowered springs/shocks and swapped them back to sell it?

I just can't believe the factory would be so negligent to leave the plates out on so many cars, but like I mentioned, many times I have found they are not in place when doing springs/shocks... Then again, my T/A was ordered new form the factory and it had one of the front sway-bar end-links so loose I almost got into an accident on a trip to MI just after buying the car because a guy veered into my lane requiring me to make a quick manuever into the emergency lane and with the end-link basically undone I damn near hit the center divider. So I do know there are factory errors made...

0TransAm0
07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
i got the car used.. it was stock stuff on it when i got it.. not sure what was done to it i got it from a dealer. could have been from the factory that way or replacement parts. either way they we not on thier b4.