PDA

View Full Version : WTB: LT1 steering shaft

1997 Trans-Am
07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Looking for a LT1 steering shaft. Anyone has one let me know.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/Pontiac_08/STEERINGRACKS-2.jpg?t=1246917279

95 TA - The Beast
07-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I have the one off my Camaro. Only about 20k miles on it. The rag-joint is still tight with no slop.

You would be better off going with an LS1 steering shaft. You grind off the peened section of the splined sleeve, tap off the end, reclock it so it matches up like the LT1 shaft, tap it back on and then peen over the ends (since the unground area will now reside where the ground section was you have plenty of material to peen over)... Bingo, a better solution (no rag-joint) and it clears headers better.

I just did this to my Camaro when I put the new motor in it. Give me a ring if you want to go this route, or if you want my old LT1 one.

1997 Trans-Am
07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
alright i will call you tomorrow after work. i replaced my rag joint the other day which fixed most of that knocking sound i get everytime i hit the brakes, but its still there. I also managed to f*ck up an easy fix as usual when replacing that joint so i need a new shaft. i will probably stop by your house and buy your LT1 shaft.