PDA

View Full Version : Bad shock???

0TransAm0
07-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Every time i hit a bump or a not so big crack in the road i get a loud "bang" noise out of the front passenger side.... i replaced the lower ball joint on the side about 3 weeks ago(did the driver side last week) and it just started making noise yesterday.. ball joint is seated and tight.

as far as suspension on the front goes it has new lower ball joint's, newer sway bar end links, and strano lowering springs(about 1 1/2" lower than stock)
with crappy Monro sensatrac shocks(about 2 years old) but also not meant for lowering springs...

it almost feels when i hit bumps like the passenger tire is bouncing up and down really fast and it makes hella noise.

thanks for any input,
Mike

88Nightmare
07-05-2009, 05:22 PM
give it the bounce test. Push down on that corner of the vehicle. Once pushed down, the vehicle should rebound up, and then stop. It may go back down ever so slightly (suspension settling). It shouldn't bounce any more then that.

0TransAm0
07-05-2009, 05:30 PM
^it goes down and back up and thats it... when i lift on the corner it doesn't make the noise at all...

i just looked underneath the car and the sway bar end link has about 1/2 inch between the bushing under the sway bar itself and the metal sleave(spacer)... should this be tight with no space between it?

moels
07-05-2009, 06:10 PM
^it goes down and back up and thats it... when i lift on the corner it doesn't make the noise at all...

i just looked underneath the car and the sway bar end link has about 1/2 inch between the bushing under the sway bar itself and the metal sleave(spacer)... should this be tight with no space between it?

Yep

0TransAm0
07-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Yep

hmmmm.. i wonder if thats what is maken all the noise when i go over bumps... guess i will tighten it and go for a ride.

0TransAm0
07-05-2009, 06:56 PM
well i tightend up the endlink and i still get the noise..... i wonder if the bolt on top of the shock is loose.... could that cause it?

0TransAm0
07-06-2009, 03:16 PM
bump.... any other idea's?

jbiscuit
07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm still thinking end link

0TransAm0
07-06-2009, 04:25 PM
upper shock mount busted. shaft for the shock is about 30% ground down... the hole in the upper mount is oblong... time to replace the shocks and mounts. yay.

i will get pics later.