PDA

View Full Version : Working on a new hobby...more expensive one too.

Prince Valiant
07-04-2009, 03:07 PM
FLYING!!!

Some may have notice I'm not posting as much recently (well, at least one person has :goof ) and there is a simple reason for this. Taking advantage of my summer work schedule, I've started working on my private pilot license. I'm still in the first few hours of a minimum of 40...of which it generally takes ~50-70 hours to obtain your license.

So far, working on taking off, trimming the plane for level flight, communication, turns, coordinated flight, patterns...so much it's unreal. Can't believe how much you learn in but a few hours, but how much more to go is unreal, lol. Next I'll be working on stalls, which will help prepare me for landings :thumbsup

Flying out of timmerman, just down the street from my house. The plane I'm flying is my brothers, a Beechcraft Skipper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Skipper). It's a small, two seat trainer that he's had for about a year now. It's really keeping the cost of obtaining a license down as normally you are both paying the instructor AND renting the plane....now, I'm just paying for gas and for the instructor.

So far, it's been a blast though...and the cost aren't too bad. My brother and I just flew in literally 15 minutes ago. We came down from crivitz, which by car normally takes a little under 3 hours or so. But by plane, we got in a scooch over 1 45 minutes...and believe me, it's far more interesting in the plane.

Here's the bro's plane:

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5490&stc=1&d=1218061236

N6711R (http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N6711R.html) (just in case someone wants to verify it's registration)

We generally cruise around 95 knots (~110mph), and get roughly the equivalent of 18mpg or so...so for a plane, very economical. For what it's worth, we paid 3.17 for Avgas in Waupaca along the way up...it was 3.77 on the way down (we didn't need any though).

It surprising how much variability is in gas prices...airports that don't move much gas will have very inexpensive prices...whereas some airports will have nearly double the cost. The price will fluctuate fairly dramatically. My brother actually has his iphone set up to find the cheapest avgas in the area, and it can make a big difference (as much as 70 dollars) in the total fill-up where he goes from cheapest to most expensive.

I know there is at least one other pilot on the board (fly150 iirc)...any others? BTW, I resolve to NEVER have a "flying" section on the forum :goof

hotshift13
07-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Thats pretty sweet. My father in law got me a few hours of "Flight Time', I plan to use it soon. I've always wanted to get myme

Korndogg
07-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I would love to be able to do that. Some day maybe.

Sprayaway Fox
07-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Awesome. If I could do that I would be strafing aloto sheet.:rolf

97z2801ss
07-04-2009, 05:00 PM
thats awesome, the color of the plain is sweet to reminds me of my great grammas bathroom haha.

lordairgtar
07-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't think that little plane would lift my fat ass off the ground.

subliminal1284
07-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Down on at the fireworks in Kenosha today out of nowhere comes this P-51D Mustang swooping down and buzzed the crowd at about 150 feet or so. Scared the living shit out of me.

UnderPSI
07-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Fly5150 is a pilot as well. Although I can't say for sure cuz I haven't gone up yet...

fly5150
07-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Yep, working on the instructor rating if I ever have time.. We should go flying sometime. Always a good time.

nismodave
07-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I would never set foot on a little ass plane like that.

I dont care if John Travolta is flying it.