PDA

View Full Version : WI smog laws question

pashtrd
07-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I am looking at buying a new to me truck. It is a 97 Chevy 1 ton Duelly. It originally had a 454 in it, owner swapped everything from a 97 3/4 ton truck into the Duelly. It Now has a 5.7 Vortec in it. He swapped the computer and all emissions equiptment. I have looked around for engine swap info but i cant find anything that tells me if this truck will pass emissions. Does anyone know if i will run into issues at the DMV testing station?
Thanks
Matt

Car Guy
07-02-2009, 08:49 PM
If everything was swapped over from the other truck it should pass just fine assuming there are no CELs or issues that would trigger something. The only time I heard of an issue with something like that is when the years are different, because then the VINs don't line up and that WILL throw a big red flag.....

Max 93
07-02-2009, 08:52 PM
they may not even test it. A few months ago, I took my 3/4 ton van to get tested and they told me they no longer test vehicles over a certain GVW. I don't remember the exact weight though.

-stew-
07-02-2009, 09:06 PM
It stinks of a insurance theft scam. Ask him to Take it to a dealer, with you, and have the dealer pull the vin from the ecm, if that vin don't jive with the dash and door (it shouldn't)then go to the cops and have both vins ran. It sounds fishy.

-stew-
07-02-2009, 09:07 PM
And also look at the rivets holding the vin on. Compare them to another '97 on a lot somewhere.

Russ Jerome
07-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Its a simple OBDII plug in away from passing, have a freind with a scanner (not a generic reader) plug in and make sure the swap was complete. System readiness test and no codes since last drive cycle.

If we still had roller tests I bet the small block would fast pass, all the BBC fuelie (and carbed) motors have much higher emissions.

pashtrd
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I really dont think its a scam... He has the donor vehicle sitting in his yard. He said that goes with it.

pashtrd
07-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks Russ, i will talk to a mechanic friend of mine and have him pull the codes. I wasnt sure if the differance between the code read on the ECm and the code pulled from the vin plate would cause an issue or not.

Car Guy
07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
If you really looked into it you would find something that doesn't line up but the 'goons' at the test station won't notice anything......

Inspector13
07-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Wait what is this thing you call emissions?!?

Good luck with that.

84hurst
07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't forsee a problem with emissions as long as there is no SES light on. If you even have to take it through. I would guess not because its a heavy duty and I don't think any of them have to go through. It is weird though that someone would swap out a 454 for a 350.

pashtrd
07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I don't forsee a problem with emissions as long as there is no SES light on. If you even have to take it through. I would guess not because its a heavy duty and I don't think any of them have to go through. It is weird though that someone would swap out a 454 for a 350.

According to the owner,
He has had the truck for a little over a year. He bought it with no engine, doesn't know what happened to the original 454. He searched for a replacement, found a 2500 with a good drivetrain, and swapped it in. Truck runs good, I havent driven it yet will do that this weekend. 2500 comes with the truck along with a spare trans and transfer case.
Matt

pashtrd
07-02-2009, 11:35 PM

Looks like your correct:
Beginning July 1, 2008, only model year 1996 and newer vehicles weighing up to 8,500 lb. GVWR will require an On-Board Diagnostic inspection (http://www.wivip.com/te_onboard.html). These are OBDII-compliant vehicles – vehicles equipped with a second-generation on-board diagnostic computer system. Older and heavier vehicles are not OBDII-compliant and are being exempted from the I/M requirement.

Now,
is a 1 ton bigger than 8500 GVWR?
Matt

Car Guy
07-02-2009, 11:38 PM
It should state that on the sticker inside the driver's door......

-stew-
07-02-2009, 11:41 PM
According to the owner,
He has had the truck for a little over a year. He bought it with no engine, doesn't know what happened to the original 454. He searched for a replacement, found a 2500 with a good drivetrain, and swapped it in. Truck runs good, I havent driven it yet will do that this weekend. 2500 comes with the truck along with a spare trans and transfer case.
Matt

Is the 2500 folded up? This makes less sense. Some thing about this deal is dirty.

Russ Jerome
07-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Now,
is a 1 ton bigger than 8500 GVWR?
Matt

It doesnt realy work that way, when you register your pickup truck they ask you what rate you want to register it. On WI pickup plates you will see the letters "A" "B" and "C" as the first pre fix, there is no reason to pay for the #8700 plates unless you plan on hauling goosneck trailers all day on the freeway. Thats how WI sticks the GVRW fee up your @$$.

http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/Home/beercans.JPG

To answer the question, the one ton chevy with payload is anywhere from #8700 up to #9000+ depending on setup. My 3/4 ton pickup has the lightest plates available, doesnt mean I dont haul trailers for my own use over its #8500 GVRW. I love seeing grocery getter moms with the F-350 crew cab diesels and there super heavy registration, trucks will never work a day in there life :)

Russ Jerome
07-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Is the 2500 folded up? This makes less sense. Some thing about this deal is dirty.

We're taking a 1997 donor truck? There sitting on Craigslist and on street corners for $1500-3000 all day.

05caddyext
07-03-2009, 12:15 AM
I don't understand why anyone even goes to emissions at all. All you need to do is register in a county that doesn't require emissions. I lived in Delafield most of my life and have never once gone to emissions and im on my 18th vehicle.

MurphysLaw88GT
07-03-2009, 08:49 AM
If you really looked into it you would find something that doesn't line up but the 'goons' at the test station won't notice anything......

eh I used to be a goon there:rolf.

and yes, GVW on the door tells all