PDA

View Full Version : Some Turbo ?'s

2006wrxtr
07-02-2009, 07:44 PM
I want to do a turbo. A friend owns a diesel repair shop
and can get me a turbo.
Wich diesel turbo would work good on my 347 and be capable of
600whp?
Also was thinking of doing the kit with no intercooler just Methanol Injection. Will that work?
Also Stainless Steel or Mild Steel Manifolds?
Wich will hold up better?
Ceramic coating or Wrap em' ?
T5 or C4?
Thanks, Mike

DRK
07-02-2009, 09:53 PM
HX35-40 from a Cummins.

Methanol injection with out a intercooler on a gas motor would work but it would take a LOT of meth. Running the motor on straight methanol would also work without a intercooler.

FourEyedFord
07-02-2009, 11:54 PM
The Turbo Forums is the place that will answer any questions you may have.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

Smokey1226
07-03-2009, 12:48 AM
I want to do a turbo. A friend owns a diesel repair shop
and can get me a turbo.
Wich diesel turbo would work good on my 347 and be capable of
600whp?
Also was thinking of doing the kit with no intercooler just Methanol Injection. Will that work?
Also Stainless Steel or Mild Steel Manifolds?
Wich will hold up better?
Ceramic coating or Wrap em' ?
T5 or C4?
Thanks, Mike

I think You can find a nice T4 frame 67mm turbo that would go very nicely on the street with a 347 for 600hp. Power would come on super early and give you the power you're looking for and some. The diesel turbos seem to have a big a/r housing and are standard journal Bearing if i remember correctly

As for Trans, i dont think a standard t5 is going to like that much power. Eventhough the tq wont be instant it still will make a ton. I could be wrong though.

HY35F2T
07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I think You can find a nice T4 frame 67mm turbo that would go very nicely on the street with a 347 for 600hp. Power would come on super early and give you the power you're looking for and some. The diesel turbos seem to have a big a/r housing and are standard journal Bearing if i remember correctly

As for Trans, i dont think a standard t5 is going to like that much power. Eventhough the tq wont be instant it still will make a ton. I could be wrong though.

thats why you go with 35/40 hybrid.

70 cutlass 442
07-11-2009, 05:40 AM
your 347 will be depandant of two thing,
1. What is your compression ratio.
2. 600 WHP that block will be split in half no matter what girlde yo have.

I have seen guys go 9s with a T70.......

a T5 trans will not go 9s, even with a G force gear set.

PA performance makes a lifetime waranty C4 in the 2K range....

hope that answerews some Qs

2006wrxtr
07-11-2009, 08:26 AM
1. What is your compression ratio.

I have seen guys go 9s with a T70.......

PA performance makes a lifetime waranty C4 in the 2K range....

hope that answerews some Qs

My compression should be around 9.5:1
I have the 4 bolt Boss block, good to 1k hp with my internals :)
Yeah I was thinking 67-70mm
Found a place down here to do a C4 for me just need to figure out the
Stall. I have 3.55's ? was thinking around 3k stall

DRK
07-11-2009, 11:16 AM

DEAD wrong on both counts, try again.

Stangman98
07-27-2009, 09:32 PM

That would be incorrect sir

70 cutlass 442
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
DEAD wrong on both counts, try again.

That would be incorrect sir

Care to prove me wrong? Im not saying that its never been done, but any one knows that a stock block is on barrowed time when your in the HP range, and Ive herd of sevearl people having issues with a G force being dependable at thoes power levels as well..... I have seen stock long blocks go 9s, and stock t5s go 10s, but we all know that is anything but a reliable combo.

Stangman98
07-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Well to start with the NMRA Real Street class all uses 5 spds. Most of which are T5

spooln30
07-28-2009, 09:51 AM
I would use a billet 67 or 71mm. Alot of guys making good power out of those. Here's a shop that sells and at a good cost.

spracingonline.com

Later

HY35F2T
07-28-2009, 12:10 PM

id run 3.27's

DRK
07-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Care to prove me wrong? Im not saying that its never been done, but any one knows that a stock block is on barrowed time when your in the HP range, and Ive herd of sevearl people having issues with a G force being dependable at thoes power levels as well..... I have seen stock long blocks go 9s, and stock t5s go 10s, but we all know that is anything but a reliable combo.

First he has a Boss blk :chair: enough said.

Second, people who don't know what they're doing can fuck up a TKO with a stock N/A long blk. I believe Bob Hanlon runs 8's with a T-5 and as Damon said the RS class is just about exclusively T-5s. I know of many 400-650rwhp T-5s that live just fine being raped on the street with proper set up and a decent driver.

DRK
07-28-2009, 01:33 PM

http://www.on3performance.com/mustang50.html

DurtyKurty
07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.on3performance.com/mustang50.html

hmmm.......

Have you heard anything about those kits? Good/Bad?

DRK
07-28-2009, 04:20 PM
hmmm.......

Have you heard anything about those kits? Good/Bad?

No, but doesn't look like a bad kit for the cash though.

Adamsy87
07-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Do a search for On3 on turbomustangs.com lots of info. Some good and some not so good...

70 cutlass 442
07-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Second, people who don't know what they're doing can fuck up a TKO with a stock N/A long blk. I believe Bob Hanlon runs 8's with a T-5 and as Damon said the RS class is just about exclusively T-5s. I know of many 400-650rwhp T-5s that live just fine being raped on the street with proper set up and a decent driver.

Oh im sorry, he did not mention he had a BOSS block until AFTER i responded. And you are right about the TKO, we all know they dont like high rev shifts, or reverse burnouts ect. but i also know of a member on this very bord who had issues with Gforce gear sets while runnins 11s. And dont bring up RS class, from the sounds of it this car does not meet to many standards for the RS class, so why use driveline parts that the RS guys are.

70 cutlass 442
07-29-2009, 12:37 AM

Well to start with the NMRA Real Street class all uses 5 spds. Most of which are T5

RS is also limited to 313 CID, sounds like hes going for a little but more power then the average real street class racer.

DRK
07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
RS is also limited to 313 CID, sounds like hes going for a little but more power then the average real street class racer.

your fucking retarded do he world a favor and stop giving bullshit advice about something you have no clue in. People like you are why there is so much misinformation on the interent

70 cutlass 442
07-29-2009, 01:33 PM
your fucking retarded do he world a favor and stop giving bullshit advice about something you have no clue in. People like you are why there is so much misinformation on the interent

misinformation? the previous post I made can be verified here: http://www.nmraracing.com/rules/rs.html (paragraph 5)

and you are right, there are guys going high 9s with 5 speed transmissions, but there are plenty more guys with 5 speed setups that had issues at that power level, feel free to check out www.theturboforums.com (will have to use the search option) for more info on busted ass 5 speed setups and why they switched to automatic and have been much more consistant and reliable. And many are running 500WHP or more..... now this guy wants some honest advice on a topic I researched just a few months back and all you can come up with is " alot of guys that race NMRA in RS class run a 5 speed based transmission"..... yet im the fuck tard that has no clue :rolleyes: You should quit reading magazines and maybe take a trip to the dragstrip or an event where vehicles actually make 600WHP, and see what kind of driveline setups they have. then get back to us on how many T5s you saw!

DRK
07-29-2009, 02:08 PM
misinformation? the previous post I made can be verified here: http://www.nmraracing.com/rules/rs.html (paragraph 5)

and you are right, there are guys going high 9s with 5 speed transmissions, but there are plenty more guys with 5 speed setups that had issues at that power level, feel free to check out www.theturboforums.com (will have to use the search option) for more info on busted ass 5 speed setups and why they switched to automatic and have been much more consistant and reliable. And many are running 500WHP or more..... now this guy wants some honest advice on a topic I researched just a few months back and all you can come up with is " alot of guys that race NMRA in RS class run a 5 speed based transmission"..... yet im the fuck tard that has no clue :rolleyes: You should quit reading magazines and maybe take a trip to the dragstrip or an event where vehicles actually make 600WHP, and see what kind of driveline setups they have. then get back to us on how many T5s you saw!

The reason turbo guys choose a auto over a T-5 has nothing to do with power handling capabilities.
How many cars have you owned or built that are over even 400whp? How many had a T-5 that destructed? How many where set up correctly and had a decent driver?
Again you internet mechanic you have no clue other then what your buddy Forrest has told you and what you've read. STFU and stop regurgitating what someone else said or wrote because you have no fucking clue or real world experience.

70 cutlass 442
07-29-2009, 02:15 PM
You have got to be the dumbest mother fucker on this site.....

Why would you put a 5 speed behind a turbo??? I want to hear your reasoning? That is the complete opposite.... You want to keep the turbo loaded as hard as you can... have you ever seen a torque curve of a turbo vehicle....that is why turbo guys like lower numeracal gears.... so why the fuck would you do the complete opposite and put a 5 speed with gears in close ratio togeather when you want to make that turbo work???? And to answer your question, 2 T5s, 1 T45, both were either a spray car or blown car.

pauly91
07-29-2009, 04:19 PM
i have a turbo mustang that's making more than 400 to the wheels and i have a t-5 in the car. its not what i want i just haven't had the money to set in my desired transmission which would be an automatic. but for street driving the stick is fine for the track its sucks or i suck at racing with it. If i am going for e.t it would be in my best interest to go auto but for street the t-5 is fine and works great. so depending on the intentions of the vehicle the transmission choice varies and depends if you're using sticky tires.

70 cutlass 442
07-29-2009, 04:38 PM
/\/\ what he said...

DRK, I'm also curoius as to how you came up with the idea that 5 speeds are more desireable in a turbo car, ever see how a manual car builds boost off the line.... It doesn't

DRK
07-29-2009, 07:18 PM
/\/\ what he said...

DRK, I'm also curoius as to how you came up with the idea that 5 speeds are more desireable in a turbo car, ever see how a manual car builds boost off the line.... It doesn't

How does your hooked on phonics ass get that from this

The reason turbo guys choose a auto over a T-5 has nothing to do with power handling capabilities.

I was saying that the reason a T-5 isn't desirable in a turbo car has NOTHING to do with the power capabilities of a T-5.

70 cutlass 442
07-30-2009, 12:05 AM
How does your hooked on phonics ass get that from this

I was saying that the reason a T-5 isn't desirable in a turbo car has NOTHING to do with the power capabilities of a T-5.

your right, i mis read your first sentance. Either way, there are a handful of guys who have success with built T5s, but i also have seen TKOs or other tremmecs bent input shafts and destroy main shafts in transmissions which leads me to beleive that they still have weak points, even while built....

DRK
07-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Either way, there are a handful of guys who have success with built T5s

Thank you captain obvious.

but i also have seen TKOs or other tremmecs bent input shafts and destroy main shafts in transmissions which leads me to beleive that they still have weak points, even while built....

Really? How many have you seen with your own eyes in person? :rolleyes:

70 cutlass 442
07-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Thank you captain obvious.

Really? How many have you seen with your own eyes in person? :rolleyes:

i have seen chipped teeth on a gforce set, ive seen two bent input shafts on tremec series (one 3650, and one tko 500)

Ive seen a shattered main shaft on a T45, as well as the popular broken shift fork....

Im very pesimistic on the stup of the gforce tans as ive never herd of other gears chipping like this, but non the less it happened.

the tremecs were out of the box units.

both t45s were stock units.

anymore questions great one?? out of curiosity, what kind of vehicles do you have/ built? you asked me now it smy turn.

DRK
07-30-2009, 07:48 AM
i have seen chipped teeth on a gforce set, ive seen two bent input shafts on tremec series (one 3650, and one tko 500)

Ive seen a shattered main shaft on a T45, as well as the popular broken shift fork....

Im very pesimistic on the stup of the gforce tans as ive never herd of other gears chipping like this, but non the less it happened.

the tremecs were out of the box units.

both t45s were stock units.

I said with your own eyes not on the internet.

anymore questions great one?? out of curiosity, what kind of vehicles do you have/ built? you asked me now it smy turn.

5spd Mustangs I built up for myself, with MY money

90GT HCI blower T-5
91 Notch HCI T-5 MM suspension and 2640# wet
92 vert stroker HCI T-5
66 GT350R restomod clone stroker HCI T-5 (total nut & bolt project that's almost finished and all my work)

5spd Mustangs I've built up with/for friends

91 LX HCI blower T-5
91 GT HCI T-5
89GT HCI 200shot T-5
92 LX HCI blower T-5

Some other notable ground up builds I've been in on in recent years

CSX3345
GT1045P
XJR-5 # 4
1974 911 3.0 RS
1974 911 RSR IROC
1972 Chevron B21
1969 Chevron B16 #1
1976 March F2

70 cutlass 442
07-30-2009, 04:30 PM
you must really have fait in toes T5s, I find it very hard to beleive that thoes all held togeather for long.... very hard. And everythign ive listed are cars ive worked on or seen fail at the track, or seen busted parts in guys garages.... would youl like me to link you to all of the internet ones that i HAVENT seen in person?