PDA

View Full Version : Can I Mad Max it out?

Dasred
07-01-2009, 07:47 PM
So, I'm new here, and I know I'm going to get blazed for this:

So I got a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire for my winter beater.
Engine runs solid with 195,500 mi.
Physically damaged on the Passenger side, previous owner did a little slip sliding on the road in some rain, smashed in the passenger door and rear quarter, then spun around and cracked the bumper and scratched the drivers side.
He was going to junk it, I offered him $500, and I got a new beater.

So here's what I'm thinking:
I'd like to "armor" it with aluminum sheet metal. Just cut and rivet it on. No protruding parts like spikes or anything, just a layer of aluminum riveted on.
Like in Mad Max or Deathrace.
This is just for fun, not a demo derby or anything, I know the aluminum won't add any structural integrity, it's just for looks.
It's got a sun roof so I was thinking about making a mount for a large Nerf gun or something removable and attachable in safe areas.
The aluminum will be too shiny so I'd like to char the whole thing with a propane torch and clear coat it if that works, or else just paint it flat black.

Thoughts? Legality? Ideas?
Flame away.

xFullThrottlex
07-01-2009, 08:29 PM
would be cool to see if done right otherwise who cares its just a beater

hotshift13
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I say go for it! What do you have to loose.

0TransAm0
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
just do it!

Brian98GTP
07-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I say don't do it. There'll be some people that won't know it's just for fun, and will think you did it because you truly believe it looks cool, and that might make them throw road signs through the windshield.
Also, what if one of your hacked together pieces of sheet metal come flying off at highway speeds? That could be pretty bad.
Besides those reasons above not to do it.... I also think it's a retarded idea and a complete waste of time.

Brian98GTP
07-01-2009, 09:45 PM
.... oh, and welcome to BCM.

-stew-
07-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Gayer than a bag full of dicks.

shawn
07-02-2009, 10:46 AM
gayer than a sunfire full of dicks

Prince Valiant
07-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Just get a bunch of rattle can flat black and paint it. Go to the scrap yard and get a new passenger door. Go someplace cheap and get some dark tint. No hubcaps. Probably the best looking beater you could get.

shoooo32
07-02-2009, 11:56 AM
aluminum plate is too spendy. just drive it 'til it pukes then buy another $500 beater.

Gregor
07-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Replace the door, pound out the dents and fill with bondo. Use it to practice your bodywork skills. And then sell it to some ricer for more than its worth.