PDA

View Full Version : Another money pit came home.

TheRX7Project
07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Just what I need, another car to throw money at. At least this car was free!

You may recognize it from the For Sale section... well, it didn't sell, and my dad wanted it gone, so he gave it to me!

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/ProjectFocusFast/Other%20car%20pics/July010901.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/ProjectFocusFast/Other%20car%20pics/July010902.jpg

318 Poly, automatic. I figure it'll pretty much stay like this until I get a built motor in my RX7, then I want to go G-Machine style on it. Probably drop in a 360 and a mini-spool, and some 18's...

I don't need somewhere else to put my money!

Prince Valiant
07-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Probably be more fun just to stick with the 318 poly...it's a fairly unique and very capable engine. There was a dual quad version of this basic engine rated for 290hp in the late 50's...however, yours is certainly the basic 2bbl, 230hp job. Great engines with very unique histories.

Personally, though, if I were you, go with a sleeper instead. Why do a G-machine? Your Rx will be fun enough in the twistiez...make this thing do one thing well, and that's accelerate.

You've got a bullet-proof trans (almost certainly the 727) that very inexpensive to make live behind even 700hp. You've got a very efficient and strong rear-end, the famous 8 3/4 that's fairly easy to service. Put a stout but inexpensive 360 in that engine bay, 4.10-4.30 gears out back, a basic rebuild w/ minor upgrades to the 727, switch to a dual master cylinder, upgrade the 4 wheel drums (but keep them drums still for ease and cost), and viola! Total sleeper.

Though it was before you joined, I used to have a similar car...a 4 door, gold valiant. Applied the same basic formula and I started out w/ high 13's...and with time and improvements, was soon running high/mid 12's. I did all this for less than 3000 total, w/ two engine builds and the price of the car included in that total. I was in the 13's for less than 2g, starting w/ a 16.8 car.

And my late model valiant was only 150lbs lighter than that B-body...and I had less gear than what I'd recommend for you.

Trust me, nothing is more fun than a sleeper...you don't even have to win a race to get props...just being in the ballpark with a sleeper is enough for props and fun.

either way, good kill on the car.

TheRX7Project
07-01-2009, 07:58 PM
The reason I want to go G-Machine is... well, I like the way they look. I always have, even before they were popular.

I more snagged this up to be a cruiser. I figure once I drop the built motor in the RX7, it will be fast... at least fast enough for what I want it for. The problem is, it's a 2-seater, and sooner or later (preferrably later) I'm gonna have a wife and rugrats to haul around... and I don't want to be doing it in something plain-jane.

I figure I drop in a mild 360, slap a spool and some gears in the 8-3/4, lower it and throw some 18's on it, decent sound system and a nice paint job... and she'll be one hell of a way to get the groceries home.

Doc Brown
07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Your dad doesn't want it gone to make room for another car, does he?!

HY35F2T
07-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Damn how much was it for sale ?satin black, tint and some slicks :drool:

70challenger452
07-01-2009, 10:58 PM
as for a motor, I'd say find a magnum 360 from a junk yard. I got one for 750 bucks with 125,000 on it. I make 235 at the tire with just an intake manifold and an msd box flowing thru stock exhaust.

TheRX7Project
07-01-2009, 11:18 PM
We have a few 360's laying around already.

Either that or we have a few big blocks and one BB trans on the rack...

TheRX7Project
07-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Your dad doesn't want it gone to make room for another car, does he?!

Jesus, Mike I didn't realize that was you. When the hell did you get here? I was thinkin' "Jeeze how does this guy know my name, and so much about me and my dad?" And where the hell is your intorduction post?

RanJer
07-02-2009, 09:42 AM
You live right across from Cream City?? You're like 6 blocks from me lol. I drive past there every single day.

Can't go wrong with a free car. Can't wait to see it finished!

TheRX7Project
07-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah I do :D I'll be keeping it on the street, since I only get 1 parking spot, and that's where the RX7 resides, til winter, then it's storage time.

jbiscuit
07-02-2009, 03:44 PM
...and down the street from me as well. Stallis represent. :rolf

Doc Brown
07-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Jesus, Mike I didn't realize that was you. When the hell did you get here? I was thinkin' "Jeeze how does this guy know my name, and so much about me and my dad?" And where the hell is your intorduction post?

Yeah, I sent you a friend request on my first day, but you never replied... DENIED! :(

I joined on June 27th, i think. So about 6 days ago. But I sure made a quick impact in the Arcade. As of right now I hold champion titles for 5 different games. :cool:

I don't have an intro post because I wanted to keep it low key. A stock Delorean running 135bhp is blood in the water on a muscle and performance car forum :chair: :punch: :D

BTW, do you know how long do I have to wait to be able to attach an avatar or edit my posts? Set schedule or admin approval? I hope its not like 100-250 posts or something like that, it will take me forever at this rate then.

TheRX7Project
07-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I'll shoot you a PM.

Beagle
07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
there was something like that on a flatbed in my works parking lot today...

PB86MCSS
07-02-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm also down the road, not too far ;) . Good score. Another option if you like the look of a "G-Machine" is just create the look and keep the stock drivetrain for a good cruiser, maybe improve the suspension/brakes I guess but to keep costs down stick with the 318.

Rocket Power
07-02-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm also down the road, not too far ;) .
Same here, West side of Stallis representin':goof

TheRX7Project
07-03-2009, 04:36 AM
I'm also down the road, not too far ;) . Good score. Another option if you like the look of a "G-Machine" is just create the look and keep the stock drivetrain for a good cruiser, maybe improve the suspension/brakes I guess but to keep costs down stick with the 318.

Well I'm getting a 360 for free. My dad has 2 of them on the rack in the garage, and he really wants the 318... he has "an idea" for it... I don't ask questions anymore (right Mike?).

As far as suspension improvements, I probably won't be doing much more than lowering the car. Brakes will probably remain stock. It won't be a true G-Machne but it's just the look I'm after.

And none of this until the RX7 has a built rotary in it! I do need to fix the power steering though, Christ trying to drive the thing is like trying to wrestle a bear.

Doc Brown
07-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Well I'm getting a 360 for free. My dad has 2 of them on the rack in the garage, and he really wants the 318... he has "an idea" for it... I don't ask questions anymore (right Mike?).

As far as suspension improvements, I probably won't be doing much more than lowering the car. Brakes will probably remain stock. It won't be a true G-Machne but it's just the look I'm after.

And none of this until the RX7 has a built rotary in it! I do need to fix the power steering though, Christ trying to drive the thing is like trying to wrestle a bear.
Yeah, suffice it to say that whatever he ends up doing with a 318 will end up heavily modified and very fast ;)

My Delorean does not have power steering, but the rack-and-pinion steering combined with the weight distribution because of its rear engine configuration means that for the most part I don't really need it. Besides, wrestling with bear make you strong like bull [/russianaccent]!

TheRX7Project
07-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Well my RX7 doesn't have PS either, but it has a manual rack... manually steering a power rack is total garbage!

Doc Brown
07-03-2009, 07:57 AM
yeah, it's like trying to steer with deflated front tires.

TheRX7Project
07-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention one of the front tires won't hold enough air. So, I get the best of both worlds.