PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother in Illinois

TraceDaddy
07-01-2009, 11:59 AM
This was just posted as a firm-wide commuincation. I thought I'd pass along since this is a national holiday and there is a good chance many of you could be passing through.

Illinois will begin using photo radar technology in freeway work zones beginning today. This new technology allows the state to take photos of the driver and auto (including license plate) in "Work Zones" and tie them to radar data for issuing citations. The consequences for exceeding work zone speeds will be the harshest penalty structure ever for a government unit operating Photo Speed equipment:

One mile per hour over the speed limit for the first offense will result in a $375 ticket.
The second offense will result in a $1000 fine, a 90 day drivers license suspension and drivers license points against the drivers operating license.
Tickets will be mailed to the person on the auto registration address (you won't know that you received a ticket until it shows up in the mail).
:(

Nix
07-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Just another reason why Illinois sucks and I hate going there.

JBs92Lude
07-01-2009, 12:15 PM
wow, even one mile an hour over. That is dumb. I thought they did this before, last summer, off of 94 with the white vans that took pictures as well? Either way, that really sucks for anyone who has to travel through there.

lordairgtar
07-01-2009, 12:28 PM
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, road construction sites can be fatal. The Bureau's report stated that from 1995 to 2002, 844 workers were killed at road construction sites. This figure is only applicable to construction accidents at a road construction site, and does not include incidents that may have happened at new housing construction or other types of construction sites.

The number of road side fatalities average over 100 people per year.
This is the statistics for Illinois and why they are doing this method

Doc Brown
07-01-2009, 12:34 PM
That 1 additional mile per hour isn't likely to save a workers life if he's hit, nor is it going to make the difference if you lose control of your vehicle or not going through a work zone.

What it does do, however, is send a message while the state of Illinois gets to generate a bunch of additional revenue.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
wow. 1 mph hour over. why don;t they just lower the speed limit 10mph in those zones if the life/death line is the difference of 1 mph?

can;t see a 1 mph infraction holding up in court. most factory speedos in new cars are off by more than that?!?!

Exitspeed
07-01-2009, 12:45 PM
I fuckin hate Il. And here's another reason.

I don't know if I even believe this. It seems unrealistic to me to ticket drivers for 1 mile over. And with the way Il drivers drive the national deficit will be paid off in about 2 months.

TraceDaddy
07-01-2009, 12:50 PM
II don't know if I even believe this. It seems unrealistic to me to ticket drivers for 1 mile over.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/illinois.asp

Exitspeed
07-01-2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/illinois.asp

EDIT: Oh snopes is saying it's true? lol. I dunno. I still don't know if I believe it. They are even questioning the 1 mile over bit.

animal
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
I see that same shit every year... same with the: "the state police just held a meeting and they're going to crack down on front plates, tint, exhaust, and going 5mph over". It's all BS.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-01-2009, 01:16 PM
NOT EVERYTHING YOU GET EMAILED TO YOU OR READ ONLINE IS TRUE.

what?? seriously??:alcoholic

MurphysLaw88GT
07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
They are trying to find a way to pay the IOU's the Illinois state government will have to give out. Many state governments are FLAT broke. expect it to get MUCH worse anywhere there are massive shortfalls in their respective budgets (everywhere)

Plum Crazy
07-01-2009, 01:44 PM
looks like ill be taking HWY 41 to Gurnee Mills from now on.

PureSound15
07-01-2009, 02:01 PM
There is no possible way that a 1 MPH ticket would hold up in court. Ever. The spedometers in all 3 of my cars are different than what any 3 of my GPS units say.

There's a variance in all speedometers depending on tires size or wear blah blah blah.

Firefighter Z
07-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Wisconsinites don't have to pay out of state tickets right? Because I heard that if you get caught speeding out of state or something, that it doesnt apply to our point system and that they can't procecute you inwhich dont worry about tickets??? Something along them lines..

Cjburn
07-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I passed a mobile speed camera on my way back to Rockford from my route in Janesville (on I90). They're white, tall post, on a trailer, and ready to bust anyone. This is not a joke, it's real

Al
07-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Tickets will be mailed to the person on the auto registration address (you won't know that you received a ticket until it shows up in the mail).
[/LIST]:(

Read this to hear about the issues with that:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/c_d_staff/patrick_bedard/sticking_it_to_the_man_column

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/camera_post_it_note/1972515-1-eng-US/camera_post_it_note_articleimage.jpg
^
^
Post-it notes

pnad
07-02-2009, 12:09 PM
They have been doing this since 2005. I have blasted thru construction zones that had the 'Photo Radar Enforced' warning signs plenty of times and never received a ticket. I have to assume the 20 other FIBs rolling with me didn't get tickets either. Talking 10-15 over posted limits too.

It's all hype.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Wisconsinites don't have to pay out of state tickets right? Because I heard that if you get caught speeding out of state or something, that it doesnt apply to our point system and that they can't procecute you inwhich dont worry about tickets??? Something along them lines..

i think it is the other way around. i thought that i heard that drivers from out of state that get tickets in wisconsin do not have to worry about losing points. i thought fox 6 had a big story about illinois drivers that haven't paid their tickets, and there wasn't much that could be done about it. :confused

subliminal1284
07-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Ive been trying to come up with some brilliant idea to make my license plate not readable from a cameras point of view for this very reason. And yes I know about the sprays and covers they sell and from what I have read those are nothing but scams.

1997 Trans-Am
07-02-2009, 02:07 PM
*Just a warning*

Illinois did setup a speed camera around Gurnee Mills and the border on I-94 North. so beware when driving in that area!!

TransAm12sec
07-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I remember a story about a guy receiving a ticket in the mail, but he wasn't driving the car, and the ticket was dropped. There was more to the story, but that was the main point.

PonyKiller87
07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
They have been doing this since 2005. I have blasted thru construction zones that had the 'Photo Radar Enforced' warning signs plenty of times and never received a ticket. I have to assume the 20 other FIBs rolling with me didn't get tickets either. Talking 10-15 over posted limits too.

It's all hype.

I agree, I go down I90 to I39 once a month, signs say photo radar enforced, speed limit is 45 and if your not doing 60 your going to get run over or pushed off the damn road. So I do 65-70 with everyone else and haven't gotten a ticket yet.

Just incase Ill be driving with my tailgate down next time I go, lol.

Firefighter Z
07-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Well if I know I'm going to get a ticket I might as well do a smokey ass burnout on the shoulder in the mean time. lol

LIZMO
07-02-2009, 03:54 PM
the whole 1mile over is bs. cuz not everyones speedometer is exactly right... and yeah noone can even go 45 on the freeways down there b/c they would get run off the road b/c everyone does like 70.