PDA

View Full Version : Seat belt law went into effect today

wrath
06-30-2009, 04:56 PM
So, as of today, police officers can now pull you over for not wearing a seat belt.

Wisconsin... forced to wear a seat belt but can ride a motorcycle without a brainbucket.

I always wear my seatbelt no matter what but I don't like it when the gubmint tries to legislate stupidity.

kornholio788
06-30-2009, 05:08 PM
I thought this was already a law? They have been handing out tickets for a long ass time for this no?

Holeshot
06-30-2009, 05:19 PM
It was only written if you were pulled over for another violation

Karps TA
06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Well thankfully this mean we'll never have a death in a car accident ever again. As it is impossible to die when wearing your seatbelt. I know cause the commercials have told me so. Zero deaths on the highway this year.

Holeshot
06-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Beats being ejected tho no ?

subliminal1284
06-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Good now they should pass the law that motorcyclists have to wear helmets.

Karps TA
06-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Beats being ejected tho no ?

And Eating healthy beats dying of heart disease, and not smoking beats dying of cancer. But both of those cause alot more deaths every year.

Personally I'm tired of the govt trying to save me. Especially when the same state refuses to have a helmet law cause Harley Riders don't look as cool when wearing one.

If we had a helmet law, I wouldn't be as annoyed about this. Seems to me this is another revenue generator more then anything else.

Beagle
06-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I only wear my seat belt if im racing or doing alot of speeding.

subliminal1284
06-30-2009, 06:12 PM
If they REALLY wanted to make revenue passing the helmet law would be the best way, they would make a FORTUNE writing helmet tickets.

SBC-Fox
06-30-2009, 06:19 PM
And Eating healthy beats dying of heart disease, and not smoking beats dying of cancer. But both of those cause alot more deaths every year.

Personally I'm tired of the govt trying to save me. Especially when the same state refuses to have a helmet law cause Harley Riders don't look as cool when wearing one.

If we had a helmet law, I wouldn't be as annoyed about this. Seems to me this is another revenue generator more then anything else.

I may sound like an ass but i totally agree:thumbsup

Waver
06-30-2009, 06:21 PM

so you wear your belt all the time?

domokun
06-30-2009, 06:22 PM

so your forum retardness follows suit int he real world eh? :rolf:goof:punch:

wrath
06-30-2009, 07:57 PM
I thought this was already a law? They have been handing out tickets for a long ass time for this no?

They could pull you over for looking stupid and then give you a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. Now they can pull you over for not wearing your seatbelt.

In Michigan I was pulled over countless times for "not wearing my seatbelt" so they could fish for other things to write me a ticket for. I'm glad everything I drive now looks like some old fart would drive it.

Doc Brown
06-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, my car has this incessant, annoying chime when either the driver or front seat passenger don't buckle up, and it just keeps hounding you, so I do it anyways. Plus I buckle the passenger seat even if no one is in there because otherwise it goes off if I put groceries on it or lean against it for leverage whilst making a sharp, fast turn. Really fraking annoying.

Just remember to not take off your seat belt if you get pulled over even if the cop is standing right there or he can still write you up. If you must take it off to reach your registration, you have to ask permission first to avoid that ticket...

TurboMutantNinjaBug
06-30-2009, 09:04 PM
That law is crap.

Personally, I think if you're 18 or older, you should get to choose whether or not to wear your seat belt. I know too many people that have told me about car accidents they've been in and were better off not wearing a seat belt than if they had been wearing one.

Now, I wear mine, but that's because I was in a car accident 4 years ago where I wasn't wearing a seat belt and got a concussion and couldn't remember 3 hours before or after the accident. If I had been wearing it, I wouldn't have gotten the concussion and I would've remembered what actually happened that night.

But just because you wear your seat belt doesn't mean you won't receive any injuries or even die....

LIZMO
06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
did you hear HOW ELSE the gov't is trying to save us....
only letting us buy a certain amount of tylenol/advil and/or getting rid of niquil cuz some stupid ppl overdose and don't know that you can't mix certain stuff...

Holeshot
06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
I love Nyquil :alcoholic its a great buzz if you down the whole bottle at once. :wow

HITMAN
06-30-2009, 10:08 PM
The Nanny State strikes again. More revenue generation for our poor, under-funded state, county and municipal governments...:rolleyes::punch:

Gee, what if you happen to have a car the was made before seat belts were installed? Better park that tri-five Chevy or else Doyle is gonna getcha...

TurboMutantNinjaBug
07-01-2009, 10:38 AM
only letting us buy a certain amount of tylenol/advil and/or getting rid of niquil cuz some stupid ppl overdose and don't know that you can't mix certain stuff...

Are you serious??? That's complete junk.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-01-2009, 10:44 AM
i wear my seatbelt at all times too, but i think that law is crap. more big brother. i am surprised that we haven;'t seen a helmet law enacted. same principal.

do any states have a helmet law on the books that require motorcyclists to wear a helmet at all times??

Doc Brown
07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Michigan does, for one. At least that's what one of my Harley riding co-workers told me once.

Karps TA
07-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I believe 21 states currently have helmet laws.

Exitspeed
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
That law is crap.

Personally, I think if you're 18 or older, you should get to choose whether or not to wear your seat belt. I know too many people that have told me about car accidents they've been in and were better off not wearing a seat belt than if they had been wearing one.

Now, I wear mine, but that's because I was in a car accident 4 years ago where I wasn't wearing a seat belt and got a concussion and couldn't remember 3 hours before or after the accident. If I had been wearing it, I wouldn't have gotten the concussion and I would've remembered what actually happened that night.

But just because you wear your seat belt doesn't mean you won't receive any injuries or even die....

Statistically injury is less in crashes where the occupants are wearing their seat belts.

This is the main reason I wear my seatbelt every second I'm in the car. I KNOW they save lives. My wife would not be here today if she had not been wearing hers.

70 miles an hour into to trees on Honey Creek Parkway the car nearly split in half. The roof was peeled back and the passenger door down the street. There is no doubt that if she had not been wearing one she would have been ejected from the car, and by going off of my finding interior parts a block away from the impact, she would not have survived.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/DCP00253.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/DCP00254.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/DCP00261.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/DCP00262.jpg

There were no jaws of life used on the car at the scene. How you see the car is how it ended up from the impact. It's safe to say I wear my seatbelt religiously.

Karps TA
07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
THis isn't about should you wear your seatbelt. That's a no brainer.

It's whether or not the govt should be forcing you too.

Exitspeed
07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
THis isn't about should you wear your seatbelt. That's a no brainer.

It's whether or not the govt should be forcing you too.

It's obviously not a no brainer because there are still tons of people out there that don't wear them.

Shame on the gov for trying to save some lives.

DirtyMax
07-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Ok, I'll bite.....

What the hell was she (or whomever she was with that was driving) doing going 70mph through Honey Creek Pkwy?!?!?!!?!?

Good thing that homey in the photo wasn't walking down the sidewalk that day...

juicedimpss
07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Ok, I'll bite.....

What the hell was she (or whomever she was with that was driving) doing going 70mph through Honey Creek Pkwy?!?!?!!?!?

i was wondering the same thing.

Cryptic
07-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Brother, you gotta I wear your seat belt, train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins, right Mean Gene.

http://www.wildbluffmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/hulkhogan_02.jpg

Exitspeed
07-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Ok, I'll bite.....

i was wondering the same thing.

She past out at the wheel and her foot hit the gas.

Nix
07-01-2009, 12:18 PM
She past out at the wheel and her foot hit the gas.

How or why did she pass out?

lordairgtar
07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I only wear my seat belt if im racing or doing alot of speed.
Fixed:rolf

lordairgtar
07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
personal question much?

deuceWI
07-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I just hate when government passes laws to turn our lives into a more controlled nanny state.

I don't understand why we can't keep more of our personal freedoms. People can make a decision to either wear their seatbelt or not themselves. I personally do 99% of the time, but if someone else wants to leave it off and smash their face on the windscreen in a crash, I don't care. It should be their choice.

Same for helmets. Personally I think it's stupid not to wear one, and you won't catch me riding around without mine, but if people want to 'look cool' spilling their brains on the pavement in a crash then good for them. I won't feel bad about 1 less unintelligent driver on the roads.

Just last Friday a helmet meant the difference between going to see my cousin in the hospital to laugh at his road rash instead of going to his funeral. He took a spill which left a huge gash in the helmet and also cracked it, but he ended up with rash on his right side, a sore shoulder, and a couple cracked ribs. He was lucky, but also smart enough to wear his helmet.

Nix
07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
personal question much?

If he dosen't want to answer it then he dosen't answer it. :thumbsup

Exitspeed
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Truth is we were going through some stuff at the time and she used some bad judgment. Luckily she lived and we honestly have one of the best marriages and relationships of any couple I know. We are a lot different people then we were then too. For the better. Sometimes it takes something like that to put things into perspective for you. Especially when your young and dumb.

But anyway...hooray for seatbelt laws! lol.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Truth is we were going through some stuff at the time and she used some bad judgment. Luckily she lived and we honestly have one of the best marriages and relationships of any couple I know. We are a lot different people then we were then too. For the better. Sometimes it takes something like that to put things into perspective for you. Especially when your young and dumb.

wow :stare.

I am glad she is ok, and kind of shocked that you even answered the question.

Exitspeed
07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
wow :stare.

I am glad she is ok, and kind of shocked that you even answered the question.

Like I said. We're different people then we were then. Life is about learning from your mistakes. It's also about learning from others. I dunno. Maybe those pics will scare one person away from doing something stupid they might regret the rest of their lives.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Like I said. We're different people then we were then. Life is about learning from your mistakes. It's also about learning from others. I dunno. Maybe those pics will scare one person away from doing something stupid they might regret the rest of their lives.

all i know about wearing seatbelts is this:

i never wore one. my wife always has. i joined the local volunteer fire dept and was called out to my first car accident scene. driver had no seatbelt on, passenger did.

i now wear my seatbelt :shades

JBs92Lude
07-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Correction: They state and federal government is controlling these products because they have pseudophedrine in them. Therefore they are limiting how much one can buy per purchase and per month. This is done using a valid driver's license number and the number is entered into a computer system with the sale's transaction. This is how they know to limit the sales. All this was done because large amounts of pseudophedrine products were being bought to make an illegral drug called crystal meth. Therefore due to the new law many manufactors that made products with the drug either pulled their product off the market or reformulated their product to have a less potent form of the nasal decongestant.

JBs92Lude
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I agree. Seatbelts should be worn. In some occasions, yes they have harmed more than they help but overall, wearing a seatbelt saves countless more lives than not wearing one. However, I agree with many of the comments on here, that there should be a law passed that helmets must be worn. I think, considering the amount of motorcycle deaths, that not wearing a helmet is a very poor judgment call. THAT is a law that should be passed and would save numerous more lives than this new seatbelt law.

RanJer
07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Maybe we should just all wear helmets, while we drive cars. Then we'll be safe for sure :thumbsup

T-Bag
07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I wear my belt all the time. I have no objections to this law.

Nix
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Understood, I'm glad after everything was said and done everything worked out great and nobody got injured. We have all been through the young and dumb shit. I know I havebeen for sure and even thou I'm 29 I still catch myself doing stupid shit from time to time. Sorry if you felt I was prying.:)

TurboMutantNinjaBug
07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Statistically injury is less in crashes where the occupants are wearing their seat belts.

This is the main reason I wear my seatbelt every second I'm in the car. I KNOW they save lives. My wife would not be here today if she had not been wearing hers.

70 miles an hour into to trees on Honey Creek Parkway the car nearly split in half. The roof was peeled back and the passenger door down the street. There is no doubt that if she had not been wearing one she would have been ejected from the car, and by going off of my finding interior parts a block away from the impact, she would not have survived.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/DCP00253.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/DCP00254.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/DCP00261.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/DCP00262.jpg

There were no jaws of life used on the car at the scene. How you see the car is how it ended up from the impact. It's safe to say I wear my seatbelt religiously.

Oh, I know seat belts save lives...I'm just saying that if everyone wears a seat belt, it doesn't mean there won't be any deaths on WI roads.

I've had more than a few people tell me about car accidents that they have been in where they weren't wearing a seat belt and because they weren't, they're here today or their injuries were much less severe. A guy I knew in high school got in a car accident with his dad and his brother. His dad was driving, his brother was in the front passenger seat and he was in the back. His brother was the only one wearing a seat belt. The dad walked away, the guy I knew had a few bumps, scrapes and bruises, while the brother had internal injuries from where the seat belt pulled against him and caused internal bleeding.

Really, it depends on the accident. I wear my seat belt and I'll be teaching my daughter to wear hers, but I do believe that once a person turns 18, they should have the right to choose for themselves.

TurboMutantNinjaBug
07-01-2009, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=DirtyMax;556685]Ok, I'll bite.....

QUOTE]

Wow, I guess I didn't quite read that story as well as I thought I did....That's a good question...

Z Speed
07-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I dont mind wearing my belt as Ive seen first hand how it helps. but honestly bikers need to have the same precautions. there forcing use to wear belts to stop us from being splattered all over the road in a bad accident so why not make the bikers wear the gear too.

Doc Brown
07-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I dont mind wearing my belt as Ive seen first hand how it helps. but honestly bikers need to have the same precautions. there forcing use to wear belts to stop us from being splattered all over the road in a bad accident so why not make the bikers wear the gear too.
careful, or the next thing you know the nutty nanny politicians will want to mandate seat belts on motorcycles in addition to the helmets...

Al
07-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Wisconsin... forced to wear a seat belt but can ride a motorcycle without a brainbucket.

Wisconsin has a very strong group lobbying the helmet laws. The same can be done for seat belt laws if enough people get involved.

I always wear my seatbelt no matter what but I don't like it when the gubmint tries to legislate stupidity.

I have mixed feelings on seat belt laws. I think all people should wear them, but enforcing it goes too far. Then again, everyone I knew who died in a car accident was NOT wearing a seatbelt.