PDA

View Full Version : any wood workers in the house?

Silver86
06-29-2009, 04:22 PM
ive got some questions about paint removal.

i acquired a nice antique desk that has a beautiful wood grain, but somebody went and painted it black. i picked up some stipper from from the store along with some other things (plastic scraper, rubber gloves, paint brush, sand paper, etc).

now my question is, i followed the instructions on the stripper... says to apply, wait 30 min and scrape off. but im having a hell of a time getting this stubborn paint to scrape off... it bubbles up but the scrapper doesnt seem to remove much of the paint at all... im pretty much on my 3rd coat of stripper...

is this normal?

i used to work in a antique wood working shop... but that was out of HS... i cant remember how things were back then... mostly because i was a finisher.

lordairgtar
06-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Some black paints are harder to remove. Just keep going at it. I don't know how strong your product is but black can be a bitch. The paint (not knowing what it was) could have also stained the wood, depending on the wood. If you have an area where it chipped off, start there. It will get under the paint and might do a better job.

Car Guy
06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
I tried refinishing an old desk a few years ago and found that the products available 'over the counter' are worthless......:punch:

Silver86
06-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I tried refinishing an old desk a few years ago and found that the products available 'over the counter' are worthless......:punch:

how true that is... the stuff we used at the shop i worked at was AWESOME! but it was the nastiest stuff around. that stuff would burn like crazy! the stuff i use now, i didnt even know i splashed some on my leg.

but after 4 coats, the stuff im using now seems to be working fairly good... i think ill be ready for sanding tomorrow! :thumbsup

TraceDaddy
06-29-2009, 10:09 PM
I've gone that route before and for the money I say just take it to a professional stripper. They really don't charge much more than what you pay for your over the counter stuff.

BTW Chesty Leatherbutton is a professional stripper but she cost WAY more than Homer Formsby.

Al
06-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Call the people at Woodcraft at 414-607-6164 for good advice.

They will tell you the best way to remove the paint and also provide you with advice on how to restore the original finish. They are located directly across from the Culvers on Hwy 100 until they move to Sunnyslope and Greenfield in two weeks.