PDA

View Full Version : Transmission

TraNs_aM
06-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Just put in a freshly rebuilt 4L60e into my trans am shifts fine driving normal but have 2 issues wont shift on full throttle will shift on half and almost full but not full throttle also got tranny fluid commin out the overflow but the dip stick doesn't show it too full i put in dexmerc transmission fluid. any ideas or anything i should try or do? put 60 miles on it yesterday tryin to figure out wat was going on

wikked
06-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Are you checking the fluid level when it's fully warmed up?

ATF expands when it gets warm, so it may look ok on the stick when cold, but after warming up it could easily overflow.

Fully warmed up, level surface... then check it & see what it says.

1997 Trans-Am
06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
what size stall do you have in it? how much fluid did you pour into the trans?

TraNs_aM
06-30-2009, 12:42 PM
what size stall do you have in it? how much fluid did you pour into the trans?

well the stall is a 3600 yank and fluid i'm not quiet sure because there was some in there when i got it and after my first start up i found out i had a leak in my tranny cooler line so a couple quarts leaked out of there so i really can't tell you how much i added i called the guy at the dealership and he said if tranny fluid is commin out the top of the tranny out the breather that usually it means they are shot

i dont dont understand why it wont shift at wide open could a clogged filter do this perhaps? i'm just lookin at small things i can try before i end up dumpin more money into a rebuild

juicedimpss
06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
well the stall is a 3600 yank and fluid i'm not quiet sure because there was some in there when i got it and after my first start up i found out i had a leak in my tranny cooler line so a couple quarts leaked out of there so i really can't tell you how much i added i called the guy at the dealership and he said if tranny fluid is commin out the top of the tranny out the breather that usually it means they are shot

i dont dont understand why it wont shift at wide open could a clogged filter do this perhaps? i'm just lookin at small things i can try before i end up dumpin more money into a rebuild

it may require some tweaking in the tune if that hasnt been done since the convertor swap.

BAD LS1
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Does it shift just fine part throttle? I mean it could be something tuning related that the MPH and RPm need to be moved down, but that shouldnt change from the prior tranny provided that worked like it should at WOT. If there was a stock converter in it before then i would say the shift extension issue could be happening from the loose stall, but still doesnt explain the component slipping code etc...

1997 Trans-Am
06-30-2009, 10:19 PM
i had the same problem with my new trans puking from the vent tube on top. i had it slightly over filled. Once i drained some out the problem went away

TraNs_aM
07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
i had the same problem with my new trans puking from the vent tube on top. i had it slightly over filled. Once i drained some out the problem went away

thing that bothers me is it didn't do it right at the begining started doing it relaly bad after puttin 40 miles on it then i drove it like once more and it got really bad but i was thinkin of drainin some out guy at auto zone told me to put the wrong transmission fliud in it so i was gonna go get a tranny flush too and get the right fluid in there

juicedimpss
07-01-2009, 01:31 PM
thing that bothers me is it didn't do it right at the begining started doing it relaly bad after puttin 40 miles on it then i drove it like once more and it got really bad but i was thinkin of drainin some out guy at auto zone told me to put the wrong transmission fliud in it so i was gonna go get a tranny flush too and get the right fluid in there

trans fluid type will not cause it to puke out the vent. hell,you could run 10w hydraulic oil in there and it would function perfectly fine,other than not having enough detergents in it.if it worked fine before but now acting up,i would suspect a valve body gasket issue or a seal to be failing.

TraNs_aM
07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
trans fluid type will not cause it to puke out the vent. hell,you could run 10w hydraulic oil in there and it would function perfectly fine,other than not having enough detergents in it.if it worked fine before but now acting up,i would suspect a valve body gasket issue or a seal to be failing.

do u recommend this is something i could check or try and fix myself or i should take my car into a shop and have them take a look at it? a seal would make sense since it just keeps gettin worse and worse

juicedimpss
07-02-2009, 10:45 AM
do u recommend this is something i could check or try and fix myself or i should take my car into a shop and have them take a look at it? a seal would make sense since it just keeps gettin worse and worse
hard to judge anyone elses mechanical abilities over the internet.
if you feel comfortable inspecting it,go for it. if you are intimidated by it,take it in.